One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 11, 2014.

?

One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

78.4%
  2. No

13.8%
  3. Unsure

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

All for one and one for All! (us pro omnibus, omnes pro uno)

2. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

No! I get where RG is coming from but I do like to re-roll a new toon just for fun to try out different builds, But then i Suppose this game is not like any other MMO, So will just go with the flow, If you don't like how its going the only option will be to delete and start again. A game lives and dies on its ideas and implementations so we will see what happens, Thing RG perhaps has forgot? Is that in Ultima's of old we could save our game and go back to an older save if we felt we screwed up.
    Perhaps a save function in SP offline?

3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I prefer a single character — as long as that single character can do anything in the game, like in FFXIV or TSW. Otherwise, I want as many characters as needed to have access to mastered versions of every crafting skill, and to be able to drastically change how I play the game on short notice.

To that effect I have three accounts already, and will get more if I enjoy the game and I feel it is needed in order to have access to everything without depending on other players.

If your issue is changing builds, there is respeccing. You will be able to "unlearn" skills in order to learn a different set of skills.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Yeah I did see that thanks m8

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

happy? no.

have a choice? no.

for all the people who say is fine because it represents you, out here, in game, you must surely realize its a fantasy representation at best. Or do you really run around throwing magic bolts, forge armor, collect reagents and kill skeletons on the weekends?

hyperbole aside, if it is a fantasy representation of me, and I have multiple fantasies, like being a goodly sword for hire that helps townies whenever I can, or some nefarious mage that sneaks around gatheting information on townies to sell, which can't really be blended as they are diametrically opposed, why the empty limitation?

it is removing the roleplay potential. it is not always about maximizing crafting skills. and the suggestion to unlearn old skills, and relearn new, is ludicrous. cause that also represents what you do in real life?

It is nota well thought of design, but I am sure to receive no end of fanboisms telling me I am not listening.

I surely never put such restriction on anyone wanting to play tabletop games. Our are you all saying you only ever had a single DNDesque game character, ever?

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

since the votes seem to be in favor of one character I think people knew what they were purchasing. However, I do know they were saying we could retrain skills and incur costs, but I hope they offer something in the add-on store that you can purchase a full-retraining of your character. Personally if I wanted to make a huge radical change to my character it would be nice if I could pay 10 bucks and retrain him exactly the way I want it.

$10 for a total make over of your skills seems reasonable, because portalarium will make some bux, but also nobody will change their whole build every day knowing it would cost them dollars.

Of course there will certainly be an in game way to retrain skills, but it will cost gold and you will not likely be able to retrain everything at once, unless you spend lots of gold. It sounds like retraining your skills will require you to pay for each level of a skill you are retraining. So the game will be fair. Nobody will be able to swap specs daily with that system. if they have the addon store option they could but for a $ amount.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I had to say no simply because they have made it clear we cannot learn everything on 1 character. I don't want to learn all of the fighting skills, but I do want all the harvesting/crafting skills.

The way around it, just buy more accounts. I've done it, but consider it just a workaround...Hopefully, I can learn all the crafts with 2 characters :)

3devious, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  8. Holt

Holt Avatar

I have always loved games where you have only one character and I can't wait to see the people who have not experienced this limitation to get enjoyment from it. In art whether it be music, design, dance, acting or the craft of storytelling, limitations help create great art.

Being held accountable for your character and reputation means the hard decisions you will face in New Brittania will mean more and be epic.

It will also have an impact on selective multiplayer and in that way shape both gameplay and social experiences. There will be an authentic sense of fate and synchronicity. It will be beautiful.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I said YES.

I dislike making other characters and having to repeat doing things over and over.

But Since I will just have one character.......

I think the system should allow that one character to learn as much as possible.......

Definitely remove the skill caps......

and let the players do as much work as they want to on that single character.

And of course my one character should be gorgeous allowing tons of customization and individuality for each of us to be unique.

Have some kind of automatic armor, crafting, and town clothes switches. Maybe tabs for those, if that is the only way.
    **Vanguard switched clothes automatically depending on what your were doing and that is a game from 2006.**

And very importantly to me............As I've said (just a few times lol)

Please give us better looking character models!!!!!

10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I'm not trying to change your opinion, but just so the story is straight.. :) Now, is this all make believe, yes we are not delusional, but immersing ourselves in the story and idea for a moment here... If the premise is like Ultima (and it sounds like it is)- Your character is not really a fantasy representation. Its not a case of you sitting there and thinking "okay, if I was a New Britannian, who would I want to be..." As the story goes, it's the real you, sitting there right now, transported to New Britannia, and you adapt to it and proceed as you would if it happened to you right now in RL. Just like in RL.. you have choices but it's one path. The premise does not involve a re-imagining of yourself and your personality in a fantasy setting.

So, if in RL you wound up in this new place with skeleton attacks and the newfound ability to wield magic, yes, I imagine you might start fighting them with fire bolts even if you didn't have that chance on earth :3 (That all being said, no one is going to -force- you to react to events in game as you would if they were actually real.. although I'm sure that is RG's dream.. and I personally find it to be a really intriguing idea. But the reason for 1 character goes deeper than this)

It is just like many other RPGs, where you play as a specific character... but in this case.. the character is you. And there is only one of you. :cool:

11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

What Dame Lori stated well is the premise, from Richard Garriott. However, Players will bring what they want, ultimately, to the 'world'. To not be able to role play in what RG wants to be his 'Ultimate Role Playing Game', would be a tragedy. There is never only one way to role play.

Look at Shadowclan Orcs, for example ( my recent article on the subject ), who began in Ultima Online (same premise) to see what Players who do not conform to the premise can bring to everyone, and enrich the entire 'world'. Currently, there are Players from 'PaxLair' who are role playing in some cases that they are locals, and some partial Elves, whether or not such things are officially the premise. If they choose to go upon some quest lines, they may have trouble adjusting to possibly being referred to as 'outlanders'. I don't know, but I'm sure they'll deal with it in their fashion.

I have my own reasons for wanting other character slots, but it also has to do with my own personal preference of role play. I do not always want to be this particular facet of myself, though this ( Fireangel ) is closest to 'me'. This is for plots, and plays, and quests that I write myself, where 'I' do not need to be seen in any spotlight, and would rather not be involved other than peripherally as 'Fireangel' in some tales. Yes, I can buy other accounts for that. I may. For now, it is just the one.

I know the reasons behind RG's premise (including griefer players), but I also know the Players will have the last word on the matter.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Why do folks always say it's "fanboyism" if one doesn't agree with their opinion?

BTW, I don't agree. I like the idea of one char.

Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  13. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

I would like to see mule characters. Characters that can craft but not leave town. Or maybe they don't have any combat.

I only need one Character out of town but it would be nice to have some to help craft.

Keep alts just that alts.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Why do people always ask "Why do folks always say " when it doesn't agree with their view?

Besides thirty years of gaming, with game communities, this community especially, which has a self admitted large portion of fanbois, is why.

And I know many of the personalities that will reply and how they will do so.

Plus your hyperbolic answer is predicated on stuffing words in my mouth.

I did not say any non-agreeing answer would be because people are "fanbois" I said:

I have been listening, since day one. I knew it was only a single character, and yet, like I said, I have no choice, is exactly that.

Cheers

3devious and Isaiah like this.
  15. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

I voted one character. However I do feel there could/should be some sympathy given to those who would like more purely for role playing purposes as it's how they spend their game time primarily. I was thinking on it in a similar way to Fifty, perhaps a non skill based / non combatant type.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A Roleplayer's Case of Multiple Characters

If there's going to be a big debate.. we've already had it. 13 page of goings around and around. I think both sides have already said it all 1 year ago. Although I think I made a good case.. truth of the matter is there's a lot of people who use alts out of convenience rather than actual RP.

I would reminds folks though that multiple characters hasn't been taken completely off the table POST launch. However at this point I think it'd be fairest to just keep that way since a lot of folks have bought multiple accounts already just for that purpose. Don't like it much out of principle but it's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination.. for me at least.

This seems to be one of RG's things he really doesn't want to let go of. It's not how I think but it's vision and he wants to stick to it.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and skinned like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, and I mentioned in that debate, personally, I don't think its a huge problem that people use alts for convenience (PvP is consensual, right?). But I know people disagree, and I know the devs disagree, and so does RG, so I'll leave it at that.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Hum, I have three accounts? Which basically means I will be able to swap between three characters with different specs without any further costs, be it in in-game money or real money? And I'm not the only one, or the one with most accounts for what matters.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You're quoting out of context. I was referring to skills on a single character on a single account. I was not talking about moving a swordsmanship skill from one character to another character.

20. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

How about "unlearning skills?" Point redist might be a bit of a misnomer on my part - it's totally possible you will have to re-earn the points rather than just managing a pool. My main point was that based on discussions of old (and I haven't seen any changes in direction on this) it was mentioned as a balancing mechanism to the total skill cap by Starr when there were perfectly warranted concerns voiced about it.

Of course as always, lawyers, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.