One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 11, 2014.

?

One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

78.4%
  2. No

13.8%
  3. Unsure

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Of course it's different you pay $240 to get six characters on one account. When it usually costs $50 and you get 6+ characters on the same account. If Portalarium are saying its one character per account how can they sell multiple characters to the same account. Like I said looks like a cash grab plus making account management more complicated to run.
    Just sell an extra character slot instead of making it sound like some fantastic innovative idea that all of the gaming community already do in F2P P2P were you can buy an extra character slot, they are all run as cash grabs so what's the difference.

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well it looks like I will be playing two toons. One a crafter which will mainly be on single person online and the second a warrior who will probably always play multiplayer. The choice to play two toons is simply the decision to spend a few more dollars for a second account, and that is entirely acceptable to me.

3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I usually don't have any issues dealing with the economy, but:

- I really dislike having to go to mortar and bricks stores to do my shopping. More so if I have to go through multiple such stores to find what I want. SotA seems intent on replicating that shopping experience, and if that is the case I doubt I will ever take part in it, because it's a virtual simulacrum of something I already dislike in the real world.

- Even when I take part of the economy I do so at my own terms. I trade because it's convenient, not because I have no other choice. If I have no other choice than trading for what I need then I just stop playing the game. (I put trades with NPCs at fixed prices and guaranteed availability outside that, though.)

So, SotA, in attempting to force interdependency and creating the same feeling of shopping in a small town without big stores or ways to just order things, is basically turning into a perfect storm of everything I dislike in game economies. Thus why I'm opting out of the economy; because, otherwise, I would opt out of the game as a whole.

I almost don't bicker about it because, even though it requires some real money, there is a way to opt out of it. Also, there are players that enjoy that kind of economy, and I tend to prefer crafting things myself rather than purchasing them anyway.

As far as we know fighting and crafting are completely independent trees, with different pools of skill points to spend on them. You shouldn't really need two characters for that, unless it's for roleplay purposes.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

So you OP is flawed its not one character per account and the only difference is it costs to play an extra character account slot on the same account.
    Similar to any other MMORPG's but this is about extra character account slots, extra character account slots and more extra character account slots.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I never saw one character per account as ever being an issue. I'm not quite sure how skills are stored for example if you max out certain things is it possible to change them to learn something new whilst still retaining the values (a bit like gw2 with crafting... Can only ever have 2 skills but can buy back the ones already trained).

Whether you can chop or change a character of not I will have several accounts just because I like playing under different names.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Didn't Gracekain say she was going to create a character called The Hands of God for crafting?

The One, Time Lord and Keira Of CODB like this.
  7. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

The term 'cash grab' is really unwarranted in this situation. I realize this is the internet and people use hyperbole all the time, but it's a really ugly word to use about the game designers. You are saying that are ditching the pretense of the game and simply grabbing as much money as they can before the vanish into the night.

Richard has said for a long long time that he always wanted a game where the protagonist was a manifistation of you and that you are restricted to one character.

8. Lord Ulysses

Lord Ulysses Avatar

I believe it was `Lord God Almighty´

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well we'd better start hoping for multiple spaces in names, otherwise like I said earlier, we'll be having swords crafted by Thehands Ofgod and Lordgod Almighty. Not quite the same brand power ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I was a little miffed at first but you know what I'm a 1 player kind of player, I only use 2nd players as mules to hold stuff or craft stuff, so it'll only hurt me
    in the storage/crafting department, and I don't see storage being a problem so it'll hurt me worst in the crafting department. I'll have to snag a 2nd account
    to make an ultimate crafter, the remaining crafting skills on my main dude, maybe I'll even grab a 3rd account so I can guarantee my main dude is 100%
    combat, and my 2 alts being crafting gnomes. I don't care about having every combat skill but having every crafting skill is always useful for the economy,
    not if everyone has every crafting skill that is, I'm talking about my own personal economy, being able to afford items, it's always cheaper to make them,
    I will have 1 vendor always stocked, probably in the podunk outskirts of the world. But I'll be content with 1 character 1 account 1 player 1 guy 1 dude 1
    avatar, as that's how I've always played. In UO I had 1 guy, that's it, in 1997 I had a guy named Ze of TMC, this was before you could put your guild name
    on your dude, I deleted Ze, I then started a guy named Dr Pepper and became Lord Dr Pepper and I realized Dr Pepper Dragon isn't exactly the most RPG
    name in the world so I came up with Razimus and stuck with it. The whole 2 alts for crafting will be on the backburner until I really shape my main guy,
    and decide whether I even need 2 crafters. In Star Citizen I was happy to hear about the 1 character limit, because it'll dramatically reduce the number of
    harassers, scammers, stalkers, griefers, they will only have so many names to hide behind and when that number is limited it makes it much easier to avoid
    them.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Aldo like this.
  11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

And apostrophes!

12. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

I'm both supportive and delighted with the 1 character per account policy. I've seen too many people get away with being d-bags on a fresh alt due to the anonymity it gives them. There should be consequences to being an asshat, and I believe that having to purchase a second account or the loss of anonymity are both good consequences.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

The only thing I didn't like is when Lord British said the other day that the character is you, it has to be you playing it (this is a theme from single player ultima).

While I'm not totally against the idea of Sir Trady actually being me and being just an alter ego, what I call myself in New Britannia, I do kind of want to play to forget about my real world persona and life so I felt it was a touch limiting.

That's the only thing that I'm not totally in agreement with Richard's vision on. We should be able to play a "character" in the world.

3devious likes this.
  14. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

The Shroud of the Avatar is an RPG = role playing game. By definition that means you can role play as you see fit, as either yourself or as a totally different player. If Richard wants to role play as himself, that's fine - that's his personal choice. It's each individual player's choice on how they want to role-play their respective character.

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I know what you mean, however, if I was to ask if your character is to have totally different morals and a different outlook on life in general to yourself, etc, would you agree or disagree?

I find most people (and that's "most" people, before someone tries to dive in and lawyer me), tend to play characters closer to themselves, than not, in roleplaying. Often a more idealised version of themselves.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And my character is from Oerth, and will talk about Flaness, and the terror that is Iuz... The Sea of Dust, the wonderous city of Greyhawk, and the Dragon Isles... and if they don't like it I'll tell them Hey, it's just Rufus, and he's from Oerth. ;)

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes Please!

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Hearing about old D&D game franchises is preferable to hearing about Star Trek, good lord.

Well, the whole idea of the character is that it will differ somewhat from you. Otherwise it might as well be you. I don't know how Trady will play out yet. I want to just let the game happen and not pre-prepare too much. But as you know I have a vision for what I want.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You guys can mock all you want, but the game's story is specifically written that YOU from Earth transport to this world of New Britannia. So my character has all of my knowledge, and he or she will think and act exactly like I would in a given situation. Physically the character might be different but don't get all pissy if you roleplay and you hear me talk about the Bigbang Theory (the TV show), because that may be what I was watching before I left Earth.

You can pretend you came from some other planet but I'll just call you the weird one, because those worlds are just science fiction fantasy stories where I'm from ... Earth. I'll know all about those realms but if you say you're from Greyhawk, I'll reply, "Oh yeah, the forgotten realms. I had the Greyhawk books when I was a kid", and then I might ask you what your favorite D&D character class is.

EDIT: I thought about it for a second. I could still role play an even murder character in the game if I wanted to. (I'm not a murderer in real life) This could still work because the evil character still has all my memories and thoughts but a totally different personality. Like I mentioned before it could be like a regeneration of the Doctor. It's me but just a differen't body and even the personality chages.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why? Lord British himself is from Earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.