One forum for all SotA players....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devoid, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Looking ahead to when the game goes live as well as the new official forum, I would like to suggest that SotA has ONE forum for all players from around the world to post in, and not different forums depending on what part of the world one lives in (as is the case for some other games).

For those who do not speak English, there could be sub-forums in different languages, but it would be to the community's advantage to be able to troll access a common forum.

That may be the intention already, but I wanted to voice this concern in time and not after the fact.

Thanks in advance,
    Devoid

Grayhawk likes this.
  2. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Devoid, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. But why would you like to see one forum over multiple forums?

3. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm fairly certain there will be a single forum... these forums. :p

There might be some forums for other languages if there is a demand for it.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

And an "Off Topic", sub-thread. Having no room here for general non-game related socialization and community building is inexcusable.

Devoid likes this.
  5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It's certainly been the topic of discussion.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Isn't that what Facebook is for? There are also Facebook SotA pages. I think I would prefer to keep the game forums game related. I game to get away from non-game related stuff.

Père Fouettard likes this.
  7. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

That's the same way I feel. I wouldn't mind some pointless babble but that's what Facebook, Twitter and a multitude of other sites are for.

Père Fouettard likes this.
  8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Off-Topic forums are generally tucked away from the General Forum and gameplay forums etc, so won't distract you from game stuff unless you actively click on the link to that forum. Off-Topic forums are good community-builders for people who are part of a game but like to spend time in forums posting irreverant images, links to random stuff, and playing silly forum games. Pretty harmless stuff.

Grayhawk and BillRoy like this.
  9. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Aye, I can agree to an off topic forums. It is what Lollie says it is. Can't see any harm in it. Its a simple, if ya wanna shoot the stuff and hang out you can, otherwise, all business up in the main forum section. Never seen any harm come out of the off topic forums in the past.

10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Face Book, that's an easy way to blow somone off, you might as well say "You have a telephone, use that." We have a system of communication here already in place that could be easily enhansed, and there is no real reason that sometime in the near future it couldn't or shouldn't be.

You, as in YOU, wouldn't have to look there, just like you don't have to look at the the subjects of crafting or PvP, or anything else on these forums if you don't want to and/or are not intrested in those issues.

I don't think my wishes and preferances should be laws to others, so how is it that you do?

*If I don't like polk-a-dotted underware, I am not going to protest the manufacture of these items nor will I say you shouldn't be allowed to own or wear them. My soloution is to not ask you to take off your pants in front of me, and not to peek in your window at night. That'is the fair and honest way to deal with the situation.

Grayhawk, Devoid and Donferth like this.
  11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

There is also always the chatroom. A lot of the time there is a lot of off topic discussion in there simply because people run out of SotA things to talk about. Everyone is more than welcome to join us in there.

BillRoy likes this.
  12. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Indeed, BillRoy has it down.. If you no likey, then no looky. Besides I know for me, becuase of work + night classes, I prefer forums as I can actually stay on topic and in touch with the current convo, where the normal chat.. .ehhhh no...

This is true, for those who can stay around long enough, yes this works. But yeah for some, tis not the greatest option.

As well, the Llama demands a forum.
    [​IMG]

Good message llama. Good message indeed. So please, wont you think of the llamas?

13. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That's true, and the chatroom is fun but you have to sit in front of it and not everyone can do that at the same time.
    I see it as a nice suppliment to the forums, but not a replacement in any way.

Grayhawk likes this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Easy to say when you aren't the one paying for the forums. But that's up to the dev's, not me. If they want to waste money on it, that's their business.

15. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Actually, as a forum moderator, I WOULD have to go to those forums (even if they are 'unmoderated') ... and every other forum. ;)

I'm not sure how you took my statement (which is my personal opinion) and made it into a law. That's quiet a stretch.

I really don't mind about an OT forum but there are so many alternatives is all I said.

16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

^That. x1,000,000

17. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Devoid hasn't gotten around to replying yet, but I shall give my own reasons for one forum... time zones vs. work schedules.

Some people have 'untraditional' work schedules that mean that they play during hours that most people in their timezone would not be online. If forums are separate, it may be hard to find people who are online during similar playing hours. One big forum means everyone can stay connected. :D

18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm not quite sure why people seem to think the forum is dividing upon release?

19. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

The forum is divided now, high level backers in Dev+ and low level backers/everyone else in this forum. I would love to have the forum consolidated after the game goes live, but I suppose since the "dev" of the SotA episodes past the first relase will continue, so I don't think that is ever going to happen.

Sometimes when games are released the forums go "english only" or some other equally as silly law(s) get laid down pushing non-english speakers out or generally not catering for their needs. Perhaps this is what he is speaking to. Large fansites are usually the culpurate on that.

20. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Actually, it wouldn't be pertinent , nor prudent, to retain this forum upon release. It would only be dead weight and a source of confusion.
    As the game approaches live, a whole new website will have to be created, and the forum should be revamped as well.
    Main reasons for a forum are to provide for information, exchange ideas and to get connected.
    Aurora is correct regarding time zones, work schedules and staying connected, but it goes beyond that. Take for example that there is a game server for North America and a separate one for Europe. If there were to be a North American forum and a separate European forum as well, then already you have a fragmentation of exchange of ideas.
    Information will be hampered too, as it will flow even more so in one direction. Connectivity will of course be heavily server dependent, but there will always be a few players on an overseas server.
    Add to that an Asian server, a Latin America server etc.. etc...

Presumably, most players will be able to more or less communicate in English, at least until the player-base grows to the extent that Portalarium can begin translating the game into other languages. However, subforums for other languages should be provided for under the main forum. Pertinent ideas and issues can be shuttled to and from the subforums to the main forum by more English savy players.

Facebook, Twitter, the chat room et. al. are to be considered complementary to the forums, but never as a substitute. There are many who do not have, or wish to have, an account on Facebook etc... for whatever reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.