One learned fish has not sufficient brains... (Monsters damage immunity)

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Aord, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aord

Aord Avatar

One learned fish has not sufficient brains
    To go into the water when it rains.

When there is no pathing between you and any monster you attack, monster will stay immune to your damage no matter what.

This was introduced as a way to not allow players kill monsters from safe positions (on roofs, ledges etc). I would really like devs to change this.

1) If I can successfully target some monster and I have spell/skill reach, I should be able to damage him. This is natural and realistic.
    2) If monster has ranged skills, he should fight back.
    3) If he feels the combat outcome is not in his favor, he should try to run away, luring me to follow him or calling for any range-skilled monsters nearby.

This should allow for more variety in battle tactics.

/discuss

moko likes this.
  2. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

The AI has a ton of upgrades it needs and not much time for the poor lone programmer working on it.
    Being able to determine a good "flee" mechanic is notoriously difficult, as you can't just pick random points in an opposite direction as that lets players herd monsters towards a favorable spot, or keep them off of unfavorable spots (like control points).

This is one of those problems where it sounds a ton easier than it is to do.

Natural and realistic would be the monsters we are fighting to have human level intelligence, since they don't, can't, and won't since they are digital constructs in a quasi 4-dimensional mesh, we have to make some allowances for what little intelligence we can give them.

Kabalyero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.