one of a kind items?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by AlchemistikO, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlchemistikO

AlchemistikO Avatar

how about one of a kind items or at least rares that have like even an extra stat on it that makes it rare. Items that would increase in value as the game ages like UO were eventually the item is like years old and no longer in circulation so people can be collectors

2. SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise Avatar

Seconded. Especially crafted items should have unique stats (or something else that makes them unique).
    And in terms of collecting: Imagine you and your friends raiding a dungeon. At the end you're in a treasure room with a big dragon statue with emerald eyes. Steal the emeralds (because the whole world is based on interactivity) and sell them. They don't "grow" back but you can actually bloat: "I HAVE THE EMERALD EYES OF XYZ" - might be problematic though if, after two weeks, every item is already taken and gets sold for horrendous sums.

3. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Thirded! We need rares so we can display them in our homes, just like how it was in UO. I love the idea of being able to run a museum or go hunting for daily rares.

4. Ron_Silverbeard

Ron_Silverbeard Avatar

Yes we need rares and artifacts and one of a kind's etc...etc...etc...but dont make them purchaseable online based - they would be only possbile to get in game..

Severian of Nessus likes this.
  5. tahenyb

tahenyb Avatar

Yes crafting personal items would be cool like if you could craft a weapon that reflected your past deeds or something would be a good way to show ones inner self. Like if they were more nefarious their armor or weapon would be more dark or foreboding than one who was virtuous.

6. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

Anyone else remember Black Dye Tubs fetching a boat load of gold? I'd love to see rare items created in a similar manner again. IE: they spawn for a while and then one day poof no more spawn.

7. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

One of kind items are a must.
    Specially involving 2 factors.

1st. Material/Magic embedded
    2nd. Who made it.

There must be items which are going to be exclusively made for this and that, of one kind.

Of course, serial production items as well, the seldom the rarer would be the item, just as in a normal fashion, of course.

8. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

Factors related to items rarity and its creation.
    Who created:

1. Abilities for crafting.
    2. Abilities with this or that material.
    2.1 What is the items row material(s).
    3. Magic embedded.
    4. Purpose of the item.
    5. Space opened for exceptional powers/exclusive attributes which would be given to the item by the Server/Game administrators (this char made this item with this purpose, therefore we "as the admins" will make it possible and we should make it unique, very rare or rare[the last two will open a new kind of item which could be crafted once in a while by other blacksmiths, artisans, etc.]).

9. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

Rares are such a fun part of the game. I remember setting my alarm before school so I could log into Chesapeake when the server would come back online just for a chance to grab a fruit basket. Everyone that heard of this routine looked at me like a crazy person when I would get outed but these are the memories I still hold 15 years later.

I don't exactly know how to make a similar feature in a persistent world with people able to instance off from each other thus making the ability to generate one rare and leave it up for grabs would be nearly impossible in the sense of Ultima Online but should still be possible in this new world that the team is creating. One possible avenue for obtaining rares which I think would be fun and create "economy" in the game would be have special dungeon adventures(?) that people would to pay to enter at a certain time. Limit the number of participants per run, create a bidding system for admittance, spawn the rare at a random location, and let the kids loose. These runs would be available hourly/daily/weekly depending on the quality of the rare and would be the most exciting part of most people's day as it should induce a similar bodily response as the pregame jitters before a big event. You have anticipation, risk/reward, and the unknown all bottled up in your stomach and getting this sort of physical response from a digital world is what makes it so memorable. In addition to making one unique rare per adventure there could be a reward for all of the participants who survive/complete the dungeon thus promoting unity within the group.

10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

@Andrew, "Anyone else remember Black Dye Tubs fetching a boat load of gold? I?d love to see rare items created in a similar manner again"

Ahaha, I can tell you don't know how black dye tubs came into existence. They were a hack, an exploit, from the 2nd UO emulator program I ever saw, a program called 'fuse', that program and that exploit are the origin story for black dye tubs, they added them into the game in xmas of 98, and I don't recall them ever being worth that much, my guildmates gave me 2 tubs for free when the thing happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.