OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS ** [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Hexus, Dec 26, 2014.

?

OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS **

1. OPEN PvP

39.4%
  2. SELECTIVE PvP

60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Regret away. What you want isn't going to happen here. This is not, never will be, nor was it ever intended to be a repeat of the collection of mistakes that was Ultima Online.

Here... A Gift... A little source material for you to read to get real insight into how the developers of Ultima Online really feel about what they created, and why they will never make the same mistakes again:

Gordon Walton: The man actually responsible for Trammel.
    "The unforgiving play environment that made UO so intense was clearly driving away between 70+% of all the new players that tried the game within 60 days... After the change which broke the game space into PvP and PvE worlds, the player base and income nearly doubled (we went from 125k to 245k subs)."
    If you're hoping that Crowfall might be the answer to you prayers, please be aware that this is the same Gordon Walton that is designing that game.

Lum the Mad: "The Unbearable Darkness of Ultima Online" that sounds like something he wants to do again, doesn't it?
    "But, for Surly Bob and the other "old school evil players" nostalgic for the glory days of Ultima Online – it won’t happen again. Ever. That moment in time was unique – and it’s gone."

Richard Garriott: The man himself
    "After that, I began to think more carefully about the rules we ourselves put in the game, and the inevitable play styles that would come of it."

Please feel free to rebut with your own evidence to support your supposition that those who built Ultima Online wish to do the same again.

Galleon, steanne and Tahru like this.
  2. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

you all do know that humans are much MUCH more interesting to fight against than computer ai, right? i mean, with computer ai you seem to be using the game mechanics against the target - but you cant do that so much against people because they are so predictable and random at the same delicious time.

i sorta wish we could play as a spawning monster sometimes... and a random unlabelled one. could make a nice quest, it would be like that great twilight episode with dean stockwell where he experiences wwii from the other point of view by taking over the body of a japanese officer... even better if part of the quest was you have to get someone to NOT attack you!

people would always wonder... was that lich tough, or was that a player in there?

The Hendoman

Tahru likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Or you could inhabit the Lich and throw the fight for your friends.

AI may not be as 'challenging' but I've never seen one dance on a corpse, chase someone down and kill them repeatedly... just for the "Lolz"... Or verbally abuse their victims. AI don't go out of the way to spoil my day. People... do.

Galleon likes this.
  4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

i guess thats why loadout was created, now that i think of it :)

The Hendoman

5. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

So selective PVP across the board, Open PVP in certain zones, 1 item loot tentative and the overtly vocal minority aka PVPers are not happy. This has been the same since 2004. I do not understand why an MMORPG is more attractive to the PVPer than a MOBA. No wait, I do understand why, and that's sad. :(

6. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Even UO which was basically open PvP didn't have any of that going on with property. That would be crazy! Imagine the rage quit! :p

7. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Not met the ghosts yet then? That is only a joke, they are f**kers. Maybe you just attract that kind of behaviour Rufus.

8. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

Dying in an open pvp zone should carry the consequence of full loot.

Other than that I am supportive of the current system.

Laila likes this.
  9. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

I have been checking these forums everyday for a month and I have never seen a post like this- exactly the opposite actually. I have seen lots of complaints about the existence of PvP zones. I personally have a preference for open PvP but have never put it forward as something I want in the game because it would be a poor fit.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Used to happen all the time...not so much anymore....

Tahru likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Granted that it was not possible to have your house burned down in UO, but it was possible to have your house stolen.

12. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

All I can say is, I am glad this is :
    UNOFFICIAL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.