Organizing the first player-run city with a crafting and trading theme

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jatvardur, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

It looks quite nice. I particularly like the little waterfall. It is a bit big and a pain to walk to the bank, especially carrying the furniture to my house. Is it really to much to ask for our ducal servants to carry that for us? That lazy banker could roll things over with a cart maybe.

I could not get to the top of my row house as a tree blocked the steps.

I don't like how they make you place walls around your property. I wish they had a quick and simple way for it to be perfectly placed with an option to adjust it later. I would also like an option for them to go around multiple lots. I want to walk myself away from the common rabble infesting those row houses you put down. Not all of us have our own island in Vanguard! I would like a dingy corner for a few lots of obsidian towers. It would be nice if we could upgrade our homes to obsidian architecture for a small price. Obsidian style ducal residence surrounded by matching town and village towers would be grand. I want buy 2 village lots to add to the 2 that come with my pledges. I think I'll get a town lot too so I can build 2 obsidian town towers. Not sure yet.
    You would think they would sell lamps in the add on store too or torches and candles.
    I'm droning on but i love the metro and feel pretty good about how things are working out. Thanks for putting down the lots despite your busy schedule.

2. Mechani-Cal

Mechani-Cal Avatar

Jat brought up some good points in another thread. Things will get even better soon. The metro will improve.

Melissa, Jatvardur and mbomber like this.
  3. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

What did you think of the telethon statements ?

Melissa likes this.
  4. David Thompson

David Thompson Avatar

Any news to report Jat?

mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  5. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

I think its amazing what your doing and would love to be part of it.
    Hopefully my old laptop can run this game, ill find out tonight.

6. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

Are there still lots for sale?
    Id love to get one.

Melissa, mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I think Vanguard will stay as a dynamic town, it sounds like we have to make a choice between dynamic and static. Having the ability to adapt the number and type of lots will be key to our success.

I posted some pictures of the town to facebook. I shall include a couple here too.

News:
    * Mbomber has placed a bunch of Obsidian Towers. They look really cool such that the town now has an obsidian sector.
    * Mbomber has also purchased a bunch of lanterns which have been distributed around the town. They look cool. :)
    * I've been experimenting with town layout and placed mostly row lots. We are at about 150 houses, most of which are row lots.
    * Most lots are free to be claimed.
    * The overland location on the map is good and actually my requested spot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Let us know if everything works. Have you pledged towards the game?

Yes, many lots are still available. The city has been fully funded and exists in-game now, so there is no need to purchase a lot but new funds are welcome as they can be used to benefit the town (e.g. lamps etc). In return you get a pick of location for lots ahead of non-paying members (there is a short list of people who have helped with funding already).

As is hopefully clear form the original post, there will be a crafting and trading focus in this town. That means that there is the intention to have a crafting area near a bank which should also be fairly central. I expect a lot of demand around that central area.

Vanguard is composed of a large island (metropolis) size plus a smaller island (holdfast village). There was also discussion to have an underground pot underneath the main town but that hasn't been finalised yet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Kal Geddon, Melissa and mbomber like this.
  9. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Oh I forgot to mention I needed to increase the size of the small island to village size after I got a deal on some more obsidian towers.

Melissa and Jatvardur like this.
  10. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

Excellent!
    Dont sell out before next month :) I spent my gaming budget on my account. I'll pitch into the town kitty as i really want a bank/town-square facing lot. I plan to set up a Blacksmith.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Cool, no worries. The design / layout is not fixed yet, we are experimenting with it, but there is plenty of room. What size are you thinking? Technically we can accommodate any size but obviously city and above needs a bit more planning!

mbomber likes this.
  12. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

I was looking over the housing section and not all the houses have pictures yet. Id prefer something with a porch or balcony. I really wanted something that was similar to one of the old UO blacksmithy houses. That was my pride and joy back in the day :)

I found a link to the older UO houses. If the town house with patio looks like this then that is what i will be getting.
    http://www.uoguide.com/Large_House_with_Patio

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I guess I was asking what pledge level you are at, but in a round-about way. Obviously if you were to ask for a duke's keep or a LOTM castle then we'd have to have a bit of head scratching.

mbomber likes this.
  14. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

15. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

Im an Artisan so any house i get ill have to buy separate off the market.
    Thank you for that link Unicormslady :) I love the Lords three story but it looks like i would need to skip a mortgage payment on my current house and the wife would be rather cross.

unicornslady, mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  16. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Sascha Biermanns has been working some magic in the town. The town square is currently being re-designed. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's not very nice of her. :p

Kal Geddon and mbomber like this.
  17. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Kal, we likely will have some lots and houses to rent depending on how they set things up.

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

19. Kal Geddon

Kal Geddon Avatar

Whats the best mining place near the town and what combat lvl should i be to explore there?

mbomber likes this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

That's a good question. Not entirely sure. I'm haven't had that much chance to play over the last year so my knowledge is somewhat limited. IIRC, there aren't many active hexes near the town at the moment. So you have to look in the eastern half of Novia (east of Blackblade - the big volcano).

For a beginner it is probably worth checking out the Hidden Valeway near Owl's Head (which is on the Hidden Vale).

@Silberbogen or @Spoon can perhaps gives us recommendations.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.