Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

OS X client hangs attempting to enter scenes

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Widsith [MGT], Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

06/30/2016 11:50
    Title: OS X client hangs attempting to enter scenes
    Reproduction Rate:100%
    Blocker?Yes, game unplayable
    Details: OS X client hangs attempting to enter scenes,gets to the 'Equipping avatars" step and then hangs, spinning the beachball. Marked 'not responding' by operating system.
    Note 1: I was able to enter one scene after initial patching, Serpent's Spine Foothills. I was knocked out of there by a PELICAN error, thereafter unable to enter scenes. Some sort of cache corruption?
    Note 2: I'm aware this machine is subspec, but it has worked OK with all previous releases.

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3427U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4) System RAM: 4096
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 1024
    SotA.EarlyAccess.OSX.64.432.Date.06.29.16
    Area: Novia
    Loc: (150.5, 17.2, 390.5)

2. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Try taking your cloak off, Widsith? I'm OS X too, and was crashing incessantly before I did that. I'm still crashy, don't get me wrong, but it slowed down enough that I do not want to bash my head on the desk :)

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood I can get into scenes by teleporting, at least on one trial. This with 'Disable cloth' checked. Will try doing regular transition without cloak in a bit.

Attenwood and margaritte like this.
  4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Let us know how the test goes.

5. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood I can enter scenes normally without cloak and with 'Disable cloth' checked. (On a sample of one - will try some more variations)

ETA: Works without clock and WITHOUT 'Disable cloth' checked.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

ETA2: I just made it into scene with the same cloak and without disable checked. There's some sort of history dependency here, unless you've fiddled somethig on the server side.

7. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood Tried another scene (Rift's End POT) made it all the way to scene load and initial scene draw, including music play, and then hung up with beach ball and unresponsive to O/S.

My educated guess: Cloth assets generally a/o the cloak specifically are triggering a problem with (?? memory, bogus pointers, whatever) that doesn't go bad immediately, but will cause a hang in the future, that is related to loading the assets for "Equipping Avatars". Both my experiences fit that scenario:

1) Able to enter Serpent's Spine Foothills, fight a few battles, get out, but then hung trying to get back into scene. Also hung trying to get into Rift's End. Checked 'Disable cloth', and still not able. Teleported to guild mate in scene, it worked. (And perhaps cleared whatever internal fault is going on.)
    2) Able to enter scenes with (in succession) - no cloak and 'Disable' checked. no cloak and 'Disable' unchecked. A different cloak and 'Disable' unchecked. The original cloak (reward Knight's cloak) and 'Disable' unchecked. Then hung up when I tried to enter Rift's End again, as above.

Have fun, this looks like a gnarly one.

ETA: Removing the Knight's Cloak appears to clear the problem (so far), so this appears to be some sort of bit rot / leak issue associated with Knight's Cloak/cloaks in general/cloth assets in general - take your pick. ETA2: Spoke too soon. Hard crashed the entire machine entering the next scene - had to reboot. Think I'm out until next patch.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    margaritte likes this.
  8. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

FYI, @Attenwood, I've been in and scene hopping for over an hour and have not crashed once with the new cloth disable toggled, so YAY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.