Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

(OS X) objects in 3D display are almost completely black

Discussion in 'Release 28 Bug Forum' started by Elwyn, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Title: (OS X) objects in 3D display character creator are almost completely black
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker? yes (literally walking around blind)
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16384
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 1024
    SotA.EarlyAccess.OSX.64.393.Date.03.07.16

Details:
    On my particular MacBookPro, the 3D graphics are almost completely black, aside from scattered pixels of color. I only got this computer upgraded to 10.9 last week, so that was the first time I was able to try it out. This problem happened with 393 (I saved the /bug info from then), and is showing again in the SPOff character creator. I have two other Macs I can try this on now, but I haven't had time to get it installed yet.

This does NOT affect the display of sky or water.

I tried walking around for a few minutes like this, and even knowing my way around, I was barely able to reach the banker in Owl's Head and then exit back to Novia.

EDIT: I decided to actually create a damn character, and aside from the character creator glitch, I can see my way around Isle of Storms just fine.

- 2011 MacBookPro 17"
    - 10.9.5, app store says I have no updates to install (official requirements are 10.8.5)
    - quad 2.40GHz i7 (requirements are dual 2.2GHz C2D)
    - 16GB RAM (requirements are 6GB, with 8GB recommended)
    - Radeon HD 6770M (requirements are Radeon HD 5870, I don't know how to compare)
    - Energy Saver control panel has "Automatic graphics switching" enabled

Is it possible that I need to change some system setting? I know others have gotten SotA to work on OS X without this problem.

Steps to Reproduce:
    play on my MacBookPro

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are unable to reproduce this issue locally... Graphics appear fine for us. Has anyone else been able to reproduce this? Possibly attempt a fresh reinstall or fiddle with graphics settings to see if there's something special about your settings in-game that sets this up? Thanks for reporting.

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I've been playing with it some more, and it seems to be limited to:

- in a scene with no sky (in other words, underground areas)
    - when Use Camera Effects is enabled

...and also the SPOff character creator, which I suspect may have camera effects enabled

Scenes where I had the problem were my basement, Tower of the Shuttered Eye, Soltown Catacombs.

Disabling camera effects causes the scene to be visible, though some of the scenes are a lot darker than I'm used to from the Windows version, in particular Tower of the Shuttered Eye. I gave up when I reached the lich and could still barely see anything even with a light spell on. But I haven't been there on Windows version since the update, so I can't be sure its lighting wasn't otherwise changed. Even overworld Hidden Vale gets a lot darker at night than I remember from R27 on Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.