Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Outdoor Storage (Lawns)

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

We all have directives. Saying everyone should play "free" and do whatever they like is just as much a style of play as those that say the opposite. Failing to recognize that is a lack of self-awareness.

2. smack

smack Avatar

Fair enough. And his compromise is not without its set of problems, not the least of which are that voting systems can be gamed (and as a grief tactic). If ultimately we get these options:

- Cull interior decorations (already have this)
    - Cull exterior decorations based on community rating (proposed compromise)

In both cases, the decorations would be displayed once you entered the lot as objects are never permanently hidden. But what about someone that has restricted access to his property? You'd never see what he has on it since you can't enter it. What about PvP and the cover system? If I have this option checked and you don't, will that give me an advantage to hit you but you can't hit me? And then there's purely weird cosmetic issues of floating players standing or sitting on invisible objects. Or do we now cull players on downvoted lots too? Does that now give them an advantage in PvP to be effectively invisible? The list goes on...I mean they're not unsolvable but it's much more complex when you dig a bit deeper.

TEK, Lord Baldrith, Net and 1 other person like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Option to hide stuff is great. Not that I'd ever use it personally unless it improved performance.

Lord Baldrith and FrostII like this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

They would be invisibly only to those, who choose not to display them:) And culled deco is there, only invisible I think. I need to remember to test that:)

5. twotrees123

twotrees123 Avatar

Huh, I didn't get that at all. My first impression was that this has to be the dorkiest thread in the history of MMO game forums. I've seen more thoughtful posts come out of World of Warcraft players.

Hopefully none.

Lord Baldrith and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Consider this as the process of reaching a consensus on the issue of property rights here. And it seems apparent to me, that a consensus has been pretty much reached.

If numbers count for anything....

Just sayin.....

Can we put this to bed now, before we embarrass ourselves further in front of the twotrees of the world?

Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  7. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Sounds good to me, all I want to do is play checkers. and be left alone. maybe weave baskets.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've never been concerned about things like crafting tables, personally, because even though some people might fill their lawn with dozens of crafting tables, its actually kind of realistic that they're outside. Blacksmithy was often done outside, carpentry was done outside.

And actually, I suspect the number of crafting tables outside a single home will go down once the crafting skills are fully in the game. Players won't be able to specialize in every craft, so the amount of tables they'll own will be limited. Unless of course, they want to set up a public crafting area -- in which case I expect it to be set up to look like a public crafting area. Things like awnings and canopies might help the decoration a bit.

The thing that's bothered me a bit more is putting random small items all over the lawn, like fruit, bread, cabbages, mugs, bottles. Sometimes its a mess; other times its in patterns like spelling out names, or in happy faces, or geometric patterns, or forms a perimeter around their house. It doesn't bother me because of taste, or because I find it stupid. But because it would make no sense IRL. If I spelled out my name with mugs on my front lawn IRL, that would probably be gone in a couple of days, but in the game it lasts forever, through rain, wind, hail, and snow. But I'm aware whatever system might be designed to deal with that might be too cumbersome to be worth it.

Budner and iansmellios like this.
  9. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Chris, having a ladder for houses is fine if you want to have people get recognized for well decorated houses. However, I think having a rating system of hiding is one fraught with potential abuse.

Acred, Lord Baldrith, Budner and 6 others like this.
  10. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

A rating system where players rate other players or their achievements is IMHO not a good idea. It simply turns into a popularity contests and large groups/guilds just end up rating each other. It will be gamed. We have seen that in Second Life and it completely and utterly failed. Please don't introduce any leader boards or rankings based on how many other players you can talk into rating you up.

Acred, AvatarAcid, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^^^

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.