Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Outdoor Storage (Lawns)

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So, depending on which items offend you the most, you'll either 1) have them weather degrade, or 2) be taxed.

Why don't you just stab us in the heart instead?

Here's my policy, because I like external decorating: If you don't have enough items in your yard, the stuff inside your home degrades or is taxed. How do you like that?

Or maybe we should just leave this alone except to the POT owners, who can make their own rules.

Lord Baldrith and FrostII like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't understand why collective player and NPC towns can't have rules. Maybe some towns could be more or less conservative than others? But leaving it to the players is a horrible idea unless you have some type of dynamic that helps control the outcome. For example, the economy will be largely player dominated, which is great. But there we have supply and demand helping to keep it all in check. When it comes to decorating, we don't have that.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Perhaps the kindly Baron Drocis would be gracious enough to make a list of all items that the kindly Baron would allow to be placed "outside" on MY lot, so that I may know exactly what the kindly Baron would take kindly to?

Not that easy now, is it?

As an added plus for me, I could begin collecting said items just on the odd chance that we're neighbors someday............ ;)

Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

I'm amazed by some of these responses. Especially this one, though I admit it is a repeated theme.

While we seem to have no problem with the world acting as we'd expect it to in other instances. When it comes to our front lawns that suddenly becomes sacred ground? Sure, let's have weather and seasons because they look good, but don't make them impact my shinnies? Wow, is all I can really say to that.

Sure, I could put a list of things together that would seemingly not handle the weather well sitting in someone's front yard. But I think an easier route would be to say "what makes sense?" and I think the devs could come up with a fine list.

Also, I'll be living in a Player Owned Town that I own, so I don't have to worry about my neighbors.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

They can and should have rules (e,g,, no genocide!). Just not your rules.

Your personal taste and sensibilities < our general freedom to decorate. Not a close call.

6. Drocis the Devious

I don't really think you know what "my rules" are since I didn't post any. But sure, let your imagination run wild!

Of course, maybe you're suggesting that "my rules" are "natures rules"...ya know, the ones that say metal rusts when it sits out in the rain, or crafting stations would warp if sitting out in the snow?

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Ah, so you DO want weather effects. Back to my earlier post then:

"So ...... you would favor dust gathering inside a home? Rain making roads impassible? Volcanic ash choking all of us to death due to atmospheric proximity? Skin cancer? A tornado permanently wrecking your home? A hurricane wiping out entire towns, forever? Allergies? Barnacles and rust on boats? Degradation of rope and clothing? Vendors having their wares spoiled by water damage, heat and humidity?"

But no. You limit the weather to someone's front yard. Which, call us crazy, makes us think your purpose is to impose your decorative standards on everyone else. It's not immersion you're after, it's the ability to deter outdoor design.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Did you read the OP? The entire OP is about weather effects for the sake of discouraging people from putting stuff in their yard for convenience.

This isn't a new revelation, in fact you could've read the last reply I wrote to you when you asked me the same thing.

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Uh huh. Or rain making roads impassible, volcanic ash choking all of us to death due to atmospheric proximity, skin cancer, a tornado permanently wrecking your home, a hurricane wiping out entire towns, forever, allergies, barnacles and rust on boats, degradation of rope and clothing, vendors having their wares spoiled by water damage, heat and humidity. Do you want all those things? Because to be consistent, you'd have to have all those things, and more.

Or .......... we could just craft in our front yards without the molestation of arbitrary and subjective rules.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It would help a LOT if you would stop flip-flopping. Debating you is like being a gnat on a ping pong ball.

11. Drocis the Devious

If it's a question between having a game built for roleplaying or having medieval facebook, I'll choose roleplaying.

12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Don't see why it has to be that binary.

13. Drocis the Devious

I'm only responding to what you're saying...if you stayed on point as to what the OP was about then we wouldn't have that problem.

14. Drocis the Devious

Because people don't want to decorate, they want to throw everything in their yard where they can access it as fast as possible. If people didn't want to do that OR they had a reason not to do that (like weather effects) then it wouldn't be a problem. But as long as people are yelling "freedom!" then it's an argument about facebook over roleplaying.

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Baron you can't make 30 posts and say the only one that we should read is the first one. C'mon.

We should have a forum rule book to cover such issues. Who could write it though, I wonder. Who likes rules ....... who likes to impose rules ..... can't think of anyone at the moment but I'll get back to you on that.

16. Drocis the Devious

This is a lot like the gun law debate. No gun laws shall ever be created because it's a "slippy slope" and "guns don't kill people, people do", blah blah blah. So there's no middle ground here, the moment someone restricts what you can do in your front yard (even indirectly with weather) it's like someone took a gun out of your cold dead hand.

I want people to be free to express themselves, and I'm more than willing to think of mechanics that still allow them to do that. All I'm suggesting (in the OP) is that we lean towards paying a price for that freedom so that people are not casually using their front yards to create centralized dumps of whatever they use the most. Shame on me for trying to make the game a more reasonable roleplaying environment. Instead, let's allow people to put up pictures and videos of their cats doing stupid stuff. Let's facebook our front yards so that they can seamlessly integrate with the rest of the internet content.

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, and you'll no doubt be the owner of that town - so I'm certain that there will be no crafting tables on any lawn there.

As for me and my lawn, my freedoms don't stop at the end of my nose, they stop at the end of my property. Having someone else decide that my mug of ale doesn't belong on top of this or that - is not my idea of personal freedom.

As for the "weathering" thing, good luck with that can of worms....

Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Two things:

1. I'm a town owner and the only person living in that town is me.
    2. Stop jumping to conclusions. No one said anything about where you put anything. The two suggestions made in this entire thread have been making weather act like weather (that's my idea) and having a rating system where when people don't like something it stays out of their view. (that's the devs idea)

So stop making up scenarios where your "freedom" is taken away from you. No one is suggesting that.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm.
    Why people like me put stations outside is for the conveniance of strangers.
    I put them there so that others can walk by, see them and say hey I want to use that.
    If I put it inside then none would see them.
    Simple as that.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

See, you lose me right there. I think we've distilled it now. You're assuming that 1) decorating needs to be policed/taxed/curtailed and 2) that it's OK to make people pay for that freedom.

Completely disagree with both premises. Can we move on now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.