Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Outdoor Storage (Lawns)

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twotrees123

twotrees123 Avatar

As a person who has yet to pledge, I just have one question:

Are you representative of the rest of the SotA community?

If so, I think I'll crawl back to UO and finish out my days there.

Lord Baldrith, Jaxtron and FrostII like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If you read the entirety of this overly long thread, you will see that he is not... Welcome to SotA, twotrees123.

Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Wow, that's an interesting way to introduce yourself. People in UO must all have the same opinion on everything - that must be nice.

4. twotrees123

twotrees123 Avatar

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but it didn't sound like you were offering an opinion. It sounded like you were demanding a solution.

Lord Baldrith and FrostII like this.
  5. Jaxtron

Jaxtron Avatar

I haven't been in UO for some time but when I was there, not everyone shared the same opinion on everything. I know I saw more than one house design I completely hated. I had no idea what they were thinking when they made it. But then, they may very well have felt the same way about mine which I must say were all very tastefully done. :) The point is they were allowed to decorate how they wanted.

And before you bring up stealing, they could decorate how they wanted and in Trammel, they couldn't be stolen from.

And with this last post, I have to say I am done with this thread. I just hope this truly remains a sandbox with the freedom and flexibility that I got the impression we would have with our housing.

6. Drocis the Devious

I see. No, I wasn't demanding anything. This is a feedback thread for R17. I noticed that people continue to put whatever they use in their yards because it's easy to access, and they don't decorate the inside of their houses. Effectively this diminishes the value or purpose of housing (simply by the fact that the inside of the house is not used and the outside is). On a large scale like this, I would say (and I think the devs would agree) is an unintended use of the game assets. But instead of saying "I don't like that" I tried to offer a solution.

I'm a roleplayer and this is a roleplaying game, but I want everyone to enjoy it - even the non-roleplayers. I think if you read the OP again with this in mind you'll see where I'm coming from though you may never agree with it.

7. smack

smack Avatar

Most village homes are not large enough to place crafting stations and beds, tables or whatever else. Some have to use their lawn space until they can get a larger home, a larger lot, or a basement. Some like to have a clear separation of living space vs. working space. Some like working outdoors instead of indoors or underground. Some are RPing the fact that they are making their homes dirty by all the waste product of crafting and prefer that be done outside the home (in fact, I've actually argued that be a real effect in-game). Some are advertising their services outdoors vs hiding it indoors. Some like minimalist interior decoration or lead a spartan life of simply a bed and candle inside their home. These are all creative preferences that should be allowed.

Your arguments that it diminishes the value or purpose of housing is incorrect. Those are highly subjective in nature. And no, I would say the devs don't necessarily agree that it is an unintended use of an asset.

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

You cant handle the truth. Your motive is clearly to restrict or exclude a very popular playstyle from the game merely because you think its unsightly.

Suggesting that peoples creativity should be taxed, decay away or be concealed is mean.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I might add, that someone living alone in a whole town, is also equally if not more unsightly... :/ how rude not to invite anyone of your friends...

10. Drocis the Devious

Who cares? Weather should still have an impact on stuff that is outside. Which is why it's a compelling argument. If I were saying that no one should be allowed to put stuff on their lawn, that would be unacceptable. But saying everything on a lawn should suffer the same fate, that's just simulating what houses are used for - that's just creating an immersive environment.

No, my argument stands. Houses are supposed to have a purpose other than "I have a house background for my crafting stations". There's nothing subjective about that, houses protect from weather, they make us more secure, and they hold our possessions. That's fact. And as for the devs, I don't assume to know where they stand on a solution, but it's clear based on Chris's post that they have considered this to be a problem and they are looking for solutions.

11. Drocis the Devious

This made me smile.

12. Drocis the Devious

My motivation is only to make a better game. You're free to disagree with me, but it's not nice to assume I have motives other than that.

13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Well weather decay for house decorations or yet another gold cost for "weather proofing" things wouldn't make it a better game. For the same reason we aren't expected to pick up a broom and sweep the dust off of the floors, repoint the stonework, replace roof shingles, or mow the lawn like some weird terrible Drocis take on a SotA-esque version of Viscera Cleanup Detail.

14. Drocis the Devious

Amazing. No middle ground. Give me total freedom in my yard or give me death.

Duke Andaluz likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

No, you're the one saying you don't want anyone to put stuff on their lawn because of 1) personal distaste and 2) unfounded fear that interiors will remain undecorated, despite the fact that perhaps that's exactly what they want to do with their homes.

No, they are considering degradation to promote the crafting loop. In fact, they feared people would not decorate their houses if degradation was introduced:

That actually could imply that interior decorations would be affected too, not just exterior ones. Which ultimately is one intended consequence of my idea about crafting stations causing negative effects indoors. Your interior possession suffer worse durability because of the waste and by-product of crafting indoors, and you suffer negative buffs while crafting indoors, and your crafting skills are reduced because of these negative effects. I would argue that anyone crafting indoors or worse, in an unventilated basement, is causing more damage to their homes, possessions, and personal stats. I would definitely lobby for that in addition to external weathering.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

The rest of the dev quote was about a rating system...I know we disagree but come on. Let's not take things out of context to prove points that don't matter.

And furthermore, this is all good feedback for the devs. They can see how much people feel like decorating whatever they want no matter how stupid it might be is a freedom they desperately want to retain. But at the same time they can see that there's no acceptable middle ground and whatever the solution is will have to be extremely artistic and subtle.

Otherwise, people are going to go crazy.

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I have to share that I am really enjoying this thread. I have so many challenging things to deal with in the work world each day, that it is real pleasure to relax and debate a topic like junking up a virtual MMO yard. I laugh out loud reading some of this stuff.

But see this is what is making SOTA great. What other games lead to this type of community dialog?

Owlhoots, Acred, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

How is that out of context? Your claim was that the devs perceive your lawn decorations to be an issue, when clearly they see the exact opposite happening. They feel that any degradation will cause undecorated homes. Theirs was a general solution to both interior and exterior decorations since they 1) generically called it degradation (and not weathering) and 2) generically said placed items, not lawn decorations. So no, they never feared that people decorating their exterior lawns would not decorate their interior homes.

But to your point:
    The idea they already are thinking about is leader boards to reward lot decorations. It is a positive thing, not a negative thing. I think Chris chimed in here saying that since they were already planning leaderboards for R19, that it could be extended to allow people to hide them. I don't believe they ever thought of using it in that fashion, which is why he commented:

To me, that seems like an off-the-cuff remark and one that they had not even considered. Thusly:

Their "solution" to personal distaste of other people's creativity is to go live in a POT.

Lord Baldrith, FrostII and Kara Brae like this.
  19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

That would be his usual style. But I've already decided to pass on reading anymore "directives" on how one should play.

20. Drocis the Devious

I don't take it that way. I think the act of hiding the stuff you don't like is the compromise, and judging by the reaction that got in this thread I don't think it's a popular one. (although it's probably because people don't understand it, I had to read it a few times before I finally understood what it was saying)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.