Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Feedback [Merged Thread]

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

The Ultima series were from the 1980s and 90s, and UO from 1997. I think that people have come to expect an awful lot more out of games, rather than retro games from 20+ years ago.

I also mentioned how I do not like having to use a wiki. If the game is immersive, you shouldn't need one.

2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

You're right, it wouldn't hurt to have the map in-game.

Having said that, that's all the guidance I'd want to keep it immersive.

3. Albus

Albus Avatar

I like being able to see where I am going better on the overland map this release with the adjusted camera angles. I think my main scaling issue with the map it that it feels like it needs to be much larger, with deeper forest representation (more trees clustered together). I think the tree stumps, especially in areas where they cover an extended area of land are unattractive and make me like the world and traveling it less (sort of like a whole plain was struck by mad and merciless lumberjacks intent on denuding the landscape). I would convert those stumps into trees unless the world is supposed to look like it was way overpopulated and the land is being stripped of (tree) life (or even if that is the intention really, I just don't like seeing all those treestumps, what can I say? :p).

I think it is due to scaling, again a larger map could help, but riverbanks look uniformly too steep with huge rock formations on either bank everywhere. Also when walking along rivers the rocks on either bank look too close as if you could just step across the river, I'd like the rivers to look as uncrossable as they are. A larger map should also help when all the towns are added in, they do seem/feel far too close where they are on the map as it is. I also think the greens of the terrain have too much yellow in them in general.

Those were mainly the criticisms and directions for improvement I have, the map is looking better than it did previous releases, I like the detail of the terrain features (though again they are a bit too sparse, map should be bigger with denser, more expansive *looking* forests). Water looks good, and I am looking forward to upcoming changes to the skies with celestial bodies and such. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the overland develop, hopefully bigger and better :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.