Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Poll [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Which style of overland map do you prefer ?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2014.
  1. The original Roosterteeth Style

43.1%
  2. R4's paper/cloth Game of Thrones opening Style

28.7%
  3. Both

10.8%
  4. Neither

17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Did you even read the article? These people were not let go due to doing a "bad job."

I imagine that Bethseda will do the same once ESO is released.

It's what the gaming industry does once a game is released. These people know this will happen before they ever start their jobs.

Square Enix is also trying to find those same people positions in other departments or other companies so they have continued work. If you were "fired," you would not help people get work in your own company.

Edit: I've worked in high tech & my sons work at Microsoft. It is an absolute industry standard to cut workforce once a project is complete and keep a skeleton crew.

Tarsilion likes this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Damn they put a new browser on the work machine that won't show pics on here...hahaha my life...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I have to say I prefer the original vision in the rooster teeth demo over the R4 map. I know it's an early implementation (possibly even a placeholder) but the change is just so jarring. The hex-lines make it worse too in my opinion. I know the map itself is hex based but those lines should be hidden so that it doesn't look like a game board.

I say this as a huge fan of hand drawn maps but I don't feel the current implementation - the visual design or navigation - works. It seems better suited for a strategy game or, with some minor adjustments, for a linear story driven single player game (I was almost expecting some narration or maybe a sorta hand written mini description of each hex I moved to... =P)

Eriador, Gunga Din [PAX] and Caliya like this.
  5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I feel the same. The very first demo video had a map very basic, but by far better that the actual one for me. Specially that flag killed me.

6. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Actually I wish they would. UO had no story and no quests, people lived their own stories.
    It was truely immersive.

7. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Maybe it seems like that as there is quite a number of strategy games with - in spirit not design - similar maps.
    So much for innovation, again.

Kaisa likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm so glad that this is not the case.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

I'm curious what Portalarium has to say about this, given the majority backlash.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Not sure we can say we're in the majority or not, but I bet we won't hear anything until they hash it out in the dev+ forums.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  11. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

well, based off the poll...

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well I played again for many hours, it was already better with the new patch... but exploring I felt lots of frustration.

I understand that the release will have much more content and a huuuge world but I'm always afraid I wont be able to climb that huge mountain, or swim down a long river in the valley... or follow that river to the sea with my boat, then get caught up on the wild sea because I didn't check the weather and my boat is too small to fight against the waves.

I like big wild spaces where AI can pit against AI and variety is created (as was intended but never implemented in UO), being able to go out on a horse and ride for an hour as the sun goes up... or climb up a mountain and look at the city and sunset and really appreciate what the game has to give...

Cause I was standing in town earlier and looked to the east and there was this huuuuge hymalaya looking at me saying, COME TO ME (goodness gracious it looks amazing), and I was so happy cause those mountains showed up on the hex grid ! But no... an invisible wall blocks me, and once I join the next hex where I should still see the mountain... well its completely different the mountain is gone.

The map well just makes it worse I guess... never come across monsters... it just feels wrong :(

at the same time having done tons of cloud multiplayer programming I totally understand the need for hexes..

heeeeeh. :/

13. Camro

Camro Avatar

I really liked the zoomed out 3D view that Richard Garriott demo'd on the 90 day video. That one felt immersive enough and gave the advantage of fast travel as well, so it was sort of best of both worlds. I would love to see that one instead of the current system.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As I mentioned in another thread, I was really shocked that they have used the kind of overhead map after showing off the previous one. The poll is of no surprise at all.

15. selbie

selbie Avatar

I love the look and I think it's an excellent art direction for an overland map mechanic.

As the saying goes "The map is not the territory". Having a distinct juxtaposition between the 'real' terrain and the hex map is a good thing to have IMO.
    Yes there is clearly a lot to work out as to the size and scale and motion of objects on the OM, but overall I think it works.
    I do think the camera could zoom out a tiny bit to have a better sense of the surrounding geography.

Edit: just remembered this from years back when Borderlands was coming out - compare the two videos.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/behind-borderlands-11th-hour-style-change/1100-6253257/
    Sometimes you gotta stick with your gut instinct and go with it

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They are ignoring us, they are ignoring our opinions. They have our money and so they seem to only talk to the people in Dev+. That is my impression of things. Utterly disappointed by the way thins turn out... This is no longer the game I pledges for and I wish there was a way to get my money back... Sorry, but that is the way I feel right now.

17. Medixius1977

Medixius1977 Avatar

at the moment the style is very very far away from the GoT intro. it looks like an "early placeholder" for the real map that was promised. and i think that one of the key features of sota and really cool idea - that the overland map is "living" and corresponding to events in the 3d world eg. a volcano eruption - cant be realized in a good way with the current artwork style - i dont want a "pop up book for kids" - this looks per se very statical. i have the suspicion, that the original style was more complex than expected and now there is problem with the schedule - the devs looking for an easy alternative -- anyway the current state is very disappointing -- sry for bad english -- greetings from germany

but in all the other ways -- very nice work so far

18. Medixius1977

Medixius1977 Avatar

maybe the community should work on a map mod ;) to realize the original version for the release - if portalarium dont care about the opinion of the major part of their fans

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well,I played a gane on my ipad, warhammer quests that does the popbuildings as you enter a town, and it looked phenomenal. So that could work. I think we need to see soe results further along. The scarey thing is I hope they have a backup plan in case it doesn't work.

I think they are still listening to us, just it is harder to listen to so many then a tight group. The proble lies if the tight group doesn't have the same view as the rest of the forums.

Royce_Templer and Time Lord like this.
  20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

They are in the middle of a release. Until this R5 is over and they've had some time to comb through all the forum comments and have a few meetings, I wouldn't count on hearing anything.

I'm sure they are listening. On the other hand, the PvP mega-thread has been up for a good long time and we haven't heard anything from the team about that, so....

I'm torn. I hate the new map direction. I'm nonplussed that such a huge change was just foisted on us. On the other hand, I've also seen the dev team really listen to big issues and fix them (like no jumping). It's a waiting game right now. I'm choosing to have faith that this issue will be addressed in due time.

Ragnabrock and foobard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.