Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

overland map - speed changes

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by RadioMan, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

even with coconuts on the speed decrease is still crazy :(

RadioMan likes this.
  2. Lace

Lace Avatar

I have read both sides of the argument, heard folks say well just use coconuts, well coconuts suck because as soon as you zone into lets say an NPC town .. you have to dismount before doing anything. then if you want to move more in the pot/npc town at a decent rate you have to re-equip the coconuts. then if you want to interact you have to dismount again.

So .... while I get the 'immersion value' of making us stay on roads I find it a needless waste of my time in my user experience. But we know it is likely to stay, and with that said fix it so that we don't have to swap decks and mount and dismount and let us interact in towns and what not while still mounted. People can do all kinds of things while mounted but apparently our mounts disallow us from chewing bubble gum and walking at the same time.

Sorry if sounds harsh, but really really hate that I have to pay attention to a narrow road that if I don't have a light source is not visible at night. (and yes we have an overland map race coming up lol - I am sure the racers will hate this too.)

Nemesis2, Budner and E n v y like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It really sucks to play games, doesn't it? :)

Kambrius likes this.
  4. Lace

Lace Avatar

Sorry dude I thought this was a feedback forum not I disagree with you and let me snark and pretend to be cool.

I gave feedback on my own personal opinion. Agree or not .. Don't be a feminine hygiene product used one time and tossed in the trash.

Budner likes this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Sorry if I offended you. You said you had to pay attention and you "really really hate" it. If you don't want to pay attention to a game, then go watch a movie. Games are supposed to be interactive and they do require focus.

Ao Soliwilos and Kambrius like this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No, what she said, before you cut off most of her sentence, was that she hates having to watch a tiny road that she can barely see or else she slows to a crawl. Which is a valid concern, the "path" is very narrow and you can easily leave the corridor while appearing to be on the road.

Budner and Lace like this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Maybe she could have worded it better. Narrow roads can be a problem. Complaining about having to pay attention to such a generic game mechanic is silly. It just takes practice.

8. Lace

Lace Avatar

Regardless of what I said .. it was MY opinion in a feedback forum and did not warrant snark. You should not try to bushwhack folks having opinions in posts of snark.. THAT in fact was what SHE SAID.

Again as pre posted in my orignal post .. sorry if harsh on MY OPINION.

My insult was taken in your cavalier attitude about one member of the communities OPINION and feedback.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

My honest opinion is that being a giant walking across a map and getting slowed down by long grass isn't immersive in the slightest. I would say the amusement value is very limited similar to being dragged into a random scene of no interest.

I view the map of going from A to B as quickly as I can. The "immersion" (if that's what people insist on calling it) will result in further frustration for players and will be yet another thing for critics to slate the game about.

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I imagine the speed change is for roving encounters... harder to avoid them bandits in the woods...

11. Lace

Lace Avatar

Truly if the game goal is to make us take the longest path from point a to b .. this new thing will do that. I spent days as a new backer trying to find shortcuts having to backtrack. This new change says only go on the path .. oh that POT over there or that CENTRAL BRITTANY from a run from Aeries across some plains round the shore past the BRITTANY GRAVEYARD with no roads hold no interest for you traveler stick to the roads.

OR it says oh well you can explore but we will slow ya down so ya don't go to Brittany or other NPC/POT/PRT because we didn't put a road there .. muahahahah

Seriously look at the paths to Brittany .. mostly road less from say Aerie.

Grats yall enforce economic regions like the trolls in archeage blocking bridges, oh wait those are the control points. We got those already.

I thought the game model was to be about non spoon fed exploration .. focusing me on a path seems in direct opposition to this.

DRINKING AND DEFIANT .. go Lace on Beers

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Ellrynn, E n v y and Budner like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Forestry needs a movement speed innate to get up to 90% of normal while in the woods. My ranger is crying.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think this is a great idea. Different speed attunements for different biome areas. I woyld suggest though that you could only specialize in one of them. Good idea @browncoat jason.

CrazyPhil and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Portalarium has said there will eventually be items with which we can use to boost our overland speed through difficult terrain. I'm imagining something like swamp boots, I remember those from Ultima, though I think they prevented you from being poisoned in specific terrain.

I like the fact that different terrain can give different obstacles to movement, just avoid having roads so small that you need a microscope to see it and follow it. Given a light source, you'd easily be able to follow a road by foot in 1:1 scale. I am pretty certain things like that will be tweaked over time.

15. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

After trying it I didn't think the slowdown was that bad at all. Anyone remember what it used to be like?

16. Browncoat Jayson

Depends on where you try to go. Running from Brittany to Serpent Spine wasn't too bad, although the grassland seems to slow you down more than it should. But I can't see myself ever stepping foot in Saveroc Stronghold again, having to run through two forests to get there.

It doesn't seem to have changed at all from when they pulled it last time. Speeds seem to be identical.

17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I don't know... I remember walking like I was heavily encumbered before. Now it feels like a slower jog. I say we wait and see what kind of roving encounters they have in store for us. I always liked the overland map and want more to do on it personally.

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

According to release notes it is not as slow as it was before.

19. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

Another noticeable problem is the roads are definitely too narrow, and there are area's on them where the slowdown occurs and it shouldn't, its a road. Now if the road sped you up a bit, if you used the coconuts now that would be interesting, but slow walking to waste time is...just...annoying...at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.