Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

overland travel is just way to slow

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by dorkish, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

i gave up after about 15 mins last release it was almost too fast well for normal play but for beta play was better for getting around to test stuff and now it's pretty much close to unplayable it's so slow getting from one side of the map to the other

2. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Great example of why recall/mark/gate travel need to be implemented even if there are heavy costs to use those spells. There is a massive barrier to entry for new players at the moment. Whoever says the overland map is even bearable must live a very boring life.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

For the first time I had the feeling that in this release the travel speed on the overland map felt about right. Of course there need to be things happening while traveling and things you can discover.
    I think The Witcher 3 is a good example. While traveling around the world every few minutes you discover something. Some monsters, an NPC, a hidden treasure, a broken cart etc.
    If SotA manages to get it right that there is much to discover, explore and much happening on the overland map then the travel speed is about right.

redfish, By Tor [MGT] and Alexander like this.
  4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

This is not a bug, moving to feedback

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Describe what you mean by slow. Is that your avatar moves at a decent pace, and looks like it is running? Does you avatar move at what might a very slow walking pace? Or do you mean that because it takes 5, 10, 15 minutes or longer when you are moving at a regular running pace, that you don't want to wait to get to the other side?

6. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

slow as in crawling along it seems even slower than before R17 when it was faster maybe they need to redo the paths cause even when it seems your following one it's still very slow it seams even slower travling than in UO

FrostII likes this.
  7. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

When its faster, the overland map feels more like a simple nexus or hub rather than a... er.. overland... map..

Its actually kinda quick if you think about how far you can travel on it.

EDIT: What I mean is, if I take the time required to run to the market square in Owl's Head for example, its about the same time to run across the Hidden Vale!

redfish likes this.
  8. E n v y V I I

E n v y V I I Avatar

I have to say that with R17 I thought the whole slowing down on the map had been ditched. Travelling became fluid and fun and I was actually interested in exploring.......now it's back....well sad times :(

Moonshadow, amaasing and FrostII like this.
  9. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

If this is the new normal then they definitely need gates, zoning and anything else that will at least let you get from one place to another in 10 minutes or less not a half hour, or an hour when you are in the dark. Walking at a slow pace when on a trail then, moving to an even slower pace when off the trail is terrible. I do not know who thinks that movement on the overland map is right now but I think there would be far more people who think it was much better in the last and previous releases. Walking around in the dark at this slow pace is cumbersome and takes way too much time. I'm here to play the game not spend half of it traveling from one place to another. The speed that it was in the last release with the same speed whether off the trail or not as to me PERFECT!

10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I believe the slowness is a bug. I've travelled really slow when its dark, but faster when its light. There was also a bug on the QA server where casting light slowed, yes slowed not like in R17 where it made you faster, you down. I can't tell if that was fixed or not as the new QA build seemed to still have the slowness but it seemed to be more related to it being the dark/light day/night cycle. Haven't really tested it out to see if this is just a perception or real.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  11. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I think it makes travel more purposeful and less "grindy" - also you have to think what it might become when they include overland map events.

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Nothing good about the speed on the world map.....last release it was great. Now urghhhhhhhhh its borderline whether or not I can even be bothered to explore travelling like a snail and then to get drawn into an encounter just adds insult to injury.

14. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I'm guessing nobody uses /walk either.
    ^^

15. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I keep hearing these comments about Overland Map how great it will be with the Random Encounters and enjoy the Immersion. . How fast you travel has nothing to do with the Random Encounters. I believe some people think that somehow they will be pulled into a Random Encounter every few steps and this is what the game is about! If they keep it this slow and go in that direction they might as well just turn it into a single player mode only and forget anything else because that is all you will be doing is moving from one Random Encounter after another. Immersion does not require you to move so slow and take the time to stop and smell every flower along the way. I'm not on a train, I can stop and look around on my own without someone making sure I walk like I have a load in my pants. Yes, I will use the Overland Map to move from one area to another where my Friends happen to be. If I have to take an hour moving slow and getting pulled into Random Encounters before I can even get to where my Guild mates or friends are there are going to be far less people playing this game in the very near future. I have spent several weeks testing and reporting bugs and checking out as many areas as I can. This release I think is going to be my first where I just sit it out. I do not have the time to waste! When you get older the most important thing is how you use your time not how you waste it!

Kaffien, dorkish and FrostII like this.
  16. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

"I decided to journey from the Southern Valeway to Kingsport, as the sun had risen and was lighting the land. I was going to Kingsport to travel by boat to Ardoris. On the way I had gotten a bit lost and found myself hiking through a forest. The trail was arduous and slow, and as I grew tired I was not granted reprieve, for a pack of wolves attacked me!"

17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I find the speed to be about right.. although I wouldn't mind them increasing the movement a touch. As Lord Darkmoon said: once they put in all the roaming encounters to avoid/engage and add the dynamic events that they've talked about (meteor showers, volcanoes erupting, etc.).. the overland map will be a much more entertaining and enjoyable experience. I think, so far, they're on the right path.

Lord_Darkmoon and Siriustar like this.
  18. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I think that is a nice choice for those that want the more scenic immersion type gameplay. I just don't necessarily like it forced on me.

For example - my playstyle is to play as I can - when I can - which is often short bursts of 15 to 30 minutes here and there. If I spend most of that time crossing the overland map, I won't accomplish much if anything during a short gaming session.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I just went across virtually the whole continent -- from Vengeance to the Necropolis -- without having any random encounter at all; I don't know what everyone is complaining about. And I ran across many people along the way, so it was in no way a lonely journey.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  20. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

i think the biggest problem with it is the path ways in UO they where big and easy to follow and you made decent speed in novia it's really hard to follow the paths every other step you end up off the path and slowing down maybe mounts would help but right now after travling for 15 mins to 30 mins i feel like logging off and playing the old EQ and read a wheel of time book :)

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.