Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Owl's Head looks like a homeless shelter

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by rune_74, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Understanding that this is pre alpha, I'm hoping that this is only a result of that. When you walk around owl's head it looks ridiculous which does nothing for immersion.

This combined with the radio which seems to play just about anything...neat idea, but very immersion killing.

I know people want freedom to do whatever they want but man does it ever look awful. I'm hoping there is some form of housing rules to make sure it doesn't look this way at launch.

AvatarGG, Apami, mbomber and 16 others like this.
  2. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

1. Monumental story-focused towns probably shouldn't have player housing, except for row houses that can't have a clay-pot collection outside

2. In story-focused towns put hedges around properties.

Ideas:

## 1 ##

* little community-driven idea: if other players water your hedges with a watering can enough, the hedges grow higher and cover up your property more

* in theory, offensive plots will have higher hedges (maximum height of about 20 feet or so, as that is a reasonable height for a hedge on a farm for example)

## 2 ##

* give players the option to customize their view of other people's houses. They can toggle "hedge on" for their own client on any house they like. If that house already has a hedge because the owner set one up, it cannot be disabled by the client.

InfinityWave and tekkamansoul like this.
  3. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I really hope that radio will be extremely rare because it totally immersion killing. If it becomes to commin it will kill the entire game for me.

mbomber, Kambrius and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'd have to disagree.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really? Why?

You think it looks good and the radio fits?

mbomber likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Don't forget to raise your concerns during the dev hangout today, especially single player related questions. You can ask your questions in advance here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=46412#comments

Mata and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thanks, I totally missed on that:) haha and I am one of the proponents for that system.

Mata likes this.
  8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Yes, i do think it looks good. The radio to me is fine because you don't have to listen to it.

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I would actually be pretty irritated if somebody put a censorship hedge around the property i paid hundreds of dollars to ensure that i own...

10. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I have done this but my questions are not visible because they still awaiting moderation o_O

Caliya and Mata like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

the radio makes as much sense as the Tesla coils around towns/cities, the robotic looking guides, the watchers, steam punk hat, Vandal Pole arm, and the Oracle itself! So yes that radio does make sense for now. Once they start adding laser guns ill probably go play something else.

12. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

So do I :D

Caliya and blaquerogue like this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

My problem with the radio is not it's existence but what it is broadcasting. It broadcasts music from our world and time which I think does not fit. But fortunately we can just turn it off.

craftymethod and Mata like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

the radio was made so that it could connect SoTA, and players with Avatars radio and will be broadcasting live some events as well. I dont see anything wrong with it, sometimes they play nothing buy SoTA/ folk music, player mad music etc.. Id just check the avatars radio schedule, to see whats playing and maybe request to play a type of music, you prefer at certain times, they may be able to play that type only during certain times etc.., i dont know? but the radio is steam punkish! like the rest i mentioned. So we can just wait and see what happens!

Leos likes this.
  15. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

From the opening video It seems we are pulled into New Britainia through our computers by reading ancient manuscripts so that's crazy. . maybe the radio is picking up signals from the dimension we came from somehow. . I dunno .. . It could be worse. . Mathew Mcconaughey could start talking to us through bookshelves. What's this the new edition of Blade of the Avatar? . ."alright alright alright." . . .

Heradite and blaquerogue like this.
  16. Mata

Mata Avatar

I am only disturb the whole destroyed crates and barrels.
    The radio can I switch off.

Mich stören nur die ganzen zerstörten Kisten und Fässer.
    Das Radio kann ich abschalten.

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Then you should raise this concern during the telethon :)

Mata and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

And all these slain for nothing sheep. Maybe they should make them immortal.

Mata likes this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The thing with giving people the power and option to be creative is somebody is always going to use that power to make a giant creative penis. Ultima 7 was the first game i ever played that made me think "What? I can go where I want? I can DO what i want?? *nerdgasm*" and i think that the more that can be done to build on that kind of experience the better. Customisation , freedom and exploration are the three key areas that really make a game for me and i am backing this game more than i really can afford to due to a renewed sense of hope that somebody is actually going to provide me with a world to get lost in. Putting up with a few eyesores is the price we pay to be able to make that OCD hoarders fantasy lair of awesomeness.

*Favourite game franchise + favourite author ... what can go wrong right? :D

majoria70 and Leos like this.
  20. repka3

repka3 Avatar

I love the game, i played a lot of mmorpg either for fun and in a nerd/powerplaying way. I didn't feel like now from old DAOC, sota give me immersion and feel like "come to explore this area, what would be in that place?", so i love it.
    BUT
    All post-punk nuclear touch totally disorient me. The worst thing in my humble opinion it's Robot tour guide. You have access to the magic side of medieval: elemental unit, (water fire earth etc), magic entity floating around with magic aurea, why you decide for post punk ? :(
    If someone in that world would able to project and build a robot (like tour guide), why the hell we fight with sword and plate instaed of railgun and exo skeletor?
    Why you decide to go for realism about fatigue in run, falling damage, dark really dark, and then put an electromagnetic high tech radio? So give us a drone to explore the map.
    Sorry for polemic tone, but i really really dislike that touch, disintegrate my (maybe only personal) immersion.
    Who play sota, i think 70-80% know UO or come from UO. We want dream in your world in that way, there are many other mmorpg with post punk (from borderlands and so on), stay as far as you can from that. And about realism, look at the past. The most realistic mmorpg it's one of the most epic fail of all time: Age of Conan. We play mmorpg for fun and dream. I think this is a good mindset when you project the behavior of the game.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.