Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Owl's Head Moongate Returns - blah

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I realize we're still testing, but the return of the Owl's Head moongate was disappointing. It seems to me that we should be restricting travel based on planetary alignment and even that should be limited.

I'm hopeful that future releases will produce this kind of compelling game play and moongates will not be the end all be all to easy and casual travel.

On the same note, I'm interested to know why "zoning to another player" appears to be restricted to 15 minutes at a time? I like the move in this direction, but I can't understand how this could be considered a good mechanic at launch.

Zoning to another player fits into the lore how? Zoning to another player makes the game more immerssive how? Again, I'm hopeful this will be further limited if not completely removed by launch.

2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Zoning into another player will become a teleportation spell requiting reagents and a longer cooldown.

Chatele likes this.
  3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Kingsport, Hidden Vale to Ardoris, Novia. Owls Head, Hidden Vale to Solace Bridge, Novia.

Mechanically they are both identical - they are teleporters. One is just dressed as a ferry. The other is dressed as a moongate.

FrostII, Chatele, Budner and 2 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a good point. I'm looking for that to evolve though. I don't want people to count on that moongate always being available or always going to where they want it to go to. This fits with the lore, and it makes for more compelling (though sometimes challenging) gameplay.

5. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

If I recall correctly they did the phases of the moon = destination thing in UO. Then they decided it wasn't a great idea so they changed it early on. Probably because it means people sit there at the moongate waiting for their destination to appear like you'd sit at a station platform waiting for a train. Not a fun experience - just frustrating.

The first time around they obviously realized there were some flaws with the design. I would HOPE if they were going to try the same thing again they look at why it was ditched previously and try to make something that works better and is more fun.

Numa likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I'm hoping the return of the moongate is to prepare for some future test of the lunar rifts based on celestial mechanics introduced in this release. Ultimately, that's their goal anyways. Perhaps they'll get it into R19.

Chatele likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Have an ancient analog / magical computer at the site which will enable you to calculate the time of the moongate's return. Assuming that is , that you do know how to use it :)

[​IMG]

8. Kether

Kether Avatar

Well, the Darkstarr moondial is supposedly for things like this.

I also recall the devs thinking about some complicated in-lore way to "cheat" a moongate and make it point to a different destination that it should. Let's see how this all ties together.

Numa likes this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Why not make moongates only available at night. . when the Moon is out? They are Moongates after all. .also put them in open pvp areas :D

Chatele likes this.
  10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

and runes?

11. smack

smack Avatar

With the new celestial mechanics in R18, the planetary bodies, including the moon, can now be seen during the day too :)

I started doing a timelapse for a single Britannian night to show their motion, but it looks like I'll need a lot more than that. What's the idle timeout on the overworld?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.