Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Oww not another PvP thread. *thoughts and ideas*

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Doctor, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

*stumbles in and looks at you all whilst blinking rapidly in sequence to "don't stop the rock" song*

Well well well. What do we have here?! I'm too busy dying so much from fall damage to complain about player's who kill other players or players killing a choir of wolves and pretty rabbits. PvFloor is so overpowered. *Whisper* "but I like it" *grins*.

So I'll put it in bullet points just because it's easier on the eyes and makes me look more professional.

1. Why are PvP designated zones rarely being used? What are they lacking and how can they be improved TO draw more attention for PvP'ers to congregate there?
    2. Even if PvP'ers and or PvE'ers are attacking and stealing mob kills (wolves, bears, slimes etc), if this game was to be successful and many players ended up joining... I can guarantee that killing each others targets will be so common simply because the SCENES are too SMALL.
    3. To add to number 2 ---> resources are still very slow even with quite a lot of avatars in a zone as I have witnessed in Deep Ravenswood with the annoying fallen down tree glitch.
    4. Why do PvP'ers enjoy peeing off other players (PvP/PvE) and destroy their immersion in the first place? Were they themselves aggravated by that very player who accidentally/purposely stole some wolves and killed them and retaliated by encouraging them to hit them or lure mobs towards them? Or are they simply trying to stick to a roleplay image/annoying/unaware of their actions?

Even if I'm kind hearted, I know at times I have randomly placed an invisible Trump wall around an area I've claimed in my head will lead to problems the moment someone steps in and competes with me, I just want to do this :

So even a doctor, a healer and a drunk has a tendency to invite trouble and make the situation worse by their selfish actions that others aren't actually aware of until you say "OI That's my kill. GO get your OWN". (The video is a metaphor and not a way to promote Trump).

The limitations of space: If we had around 1000-2000 regular players, I don't think we as a community could handle multiplayer zones without having these issues.
    The limitations on resources: It'll be so competitive that we either get frustrated and look else where, or give up entirely.
    There are no "points of actual interest". PvP zones are rarely visited unless you're highly confident in being able to repel other players due to high levels and skill. Grunvald shardfall and Verdantis Shardfall both hold high numbers of resources in a large scene. Yet it's still lacking interest. Most PvP'ers are interested in roaming around Hidden Vale - Deep Ravenswood, which is a vary small high tier scene.

I believe Portalarium need to prioritise their goals in improving the core mechanics of the game. A lot of time has gone into optimisation and performance but each release feels the same or worse. There are 1 to 2 people per department and I feel like the majority of the release notes are ITEM based.

*New emotes, new add on store decoration and in game craftables, new housing and new pants and new armpit hair and new pokemon and new carpal tunnel etc etc etc*

Majority of the release notes are additional items that provide no real purpose right now apart from wasting dev designers time in creating wings, bagpipes and so on, when they could be creating something more relevant. Things like combat, PvP/PvE areas and story richness has been practically the same since I joined back in 2014.

I have many reward items that I barely use. Maybe 5% of it I use. Yes they are for fundraising but couldn't the rewards be important to the game. I'm sure we've been spoiled enough with gifts. What happened to those stretch goals with flexible lot placement, riding horses and so on.

I understand that Port are stretched thin and I do appreciate what they are doing to improve the game. Nevertheless, there needs to be a balance. All of this is important for their testing, yet the more you push a group of people into a hole, the more suffocating and painful it gets. *smiles at Chris* "you evil evil person!

With new resource changes coming soon in friends only and single player, will undoubtedly bring more people to multiplayer. But not for good reasons as mentioned above. It's getting more strict and the only PvP I like to participate in is the friendly kind made by the community.

Tips: A warning sign pops up when you accidentally/purposely attack a PvP'er "You've just attacked a PvP'er, do you wish to continue?" "PvP mode starting in 10 seconds, do you wish to cancel?" "stop attacking that invisible PvP'er all the time... I'm warning you"

Tips: Polish already existing PvP scenes and add in objectives, points of interest and rewards to make it more entertaining.

Tips: An option in settings which automatically stop you from entering PvP at all unless for obvious reasons (PvP zone, stealing).

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense? Want to fight me by drunken fist fights? Let's do it!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Alexander, Sophi and FrostII like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I always thought PVP zones would be of interest for guilds to make their mark in the world. Unfortunately they aren't.

Right now the XP gained there is underwhelming... I agree on resource gathering though. However its easier for me personally to earn the money and buy resources cheap.
    I totally agree in so far that due to fixing the modes and giving rewards for taking more risk fixes a lot of issues the game had, it is still not enough. PVP is right now without any consequences. Killing only rewards you - there should be a good vs. bad theme or anything else that gives us more rules than just a DayZ kind of world.

Best option would be if we could make those rules ourselves. But that might be totally out of scope for EP1. But until we really know what the oracle means with that we will decide out fate and enemies at the end of the story arc... its all just wild guesses. I think it will be Virtue vs Not so virtuous... and then we may see PVP get a little bit newbie friendlier.

3. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

good points Doctor!
    and loved the video!

Alexander and Doctor like this.
  4. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Not to say that your points aren't valid but these are quite easily fixed at least a certaina mount by just going to different zones.

There are tons of zones outside of the hidden vale that people can go and farm and be flagged for the xp bonus and get a lot of resources and never see a single other player. Come on people, explore a little!

Once the population starts spreading out away from the same 2 or 3 zones, I think all these problems being brought up like this disappear pretty quick. Now, the real question becomes how to get people to step outside their comfort zone a little bit and actually do a little travelling...

MrBlight likes this.
  5. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

The word is: Release

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Oh quiet.
    Theres nothing better than having 3/4 the game in mmo mode to myself because people wont go to far from owls head. Heheh
    I also think people keep bringing up griefers just because of the other thread. I dont think its as bad as claimed. Go read through other thread. It turned into how the pvp bonuse is to blame because someone stole that bear that one time!
    Lol.

7. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

There is just nothing in the PVP zones that make them attractive, to any one. No good loot, no good resources, no good xp, no interesting fights. .nada. PVP zones need something that a player can leave with of value be it gold or xp or resources else the trek to get to one of these zones is not worth the time. I often go into the Grunvald Shardfall, I spend a few minutes running around looking for other players, quickly realize it's just me and crickets and I'm outta there. It's all about reward, which SOTA is lacking greatly. Watch the video of Jobe
    killing that Troll boss and check out his loot and you'll see what I mean.

When it comes to the mob stealing I think people are just pricks and always will be, but I've had it happen to me by just as many PvE players as PvPers.

8. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

actually the resource thing is not true Jordizzle, prior to the changes that force one into multi in a PvP zone I spent hours and hours and hours in Verdantis Shardfall gathering wood and cotton - great place for it! (also great exp on those plants!) I think the real reason the PvP'rs aren't interested in hanging out in the PvP zones is that there's no PvE'rs to mess with. Maybe you could offer your services as bodyguard for PvE'rs that would still like to go gather there?

I mean really guys, come on! Instead of fleecing PvE'rs by trolling and then ganking them when they hit you, why not earn gold honestly by protecting them from roving pk'rs? (And maybe have some fun into the bargain!) Who knows? You could build a rep as the best merc outfit to hire!

Also regarding getting more peeps into the PvP zones -- I recall Jacob Canaan's and Bambino's war events in Grunvald Shardfall - they were very exciting, got lots of peeps involved and generated a lot of positive interest in PvP. (I... well ok, my pvp alt.. even got a few dmg pts in on LB!! ahhh that was satisfying!) Perhaps if someone organized some events along those lines there would be more than just crickets in the zones...

Alexander and Doctor like this.
  9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Just as is the case with PvE and other ways to play, PvP has a lot of different talking points that sometimes needs specific separate threads, so no need to be shy about it in the title! :)

10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

And the reason why there are no PvE'rs to mess with is because there is nothing of interest to pull them into those zones, aside from resources, which can be obtained elsewhere. Looking at this from my perspective, if some of these zones had something of interest, that would compel me to explore, then I would be there more often. After all, as PvP is presently, the risks are minimal, but not much really draws me into most of these zones. When I explored them, they all very much look like one big PvP arena, (funky looking plants with ruined buildings) with very little connecting them to the story, contain no lore or anything else of interest that would want any PvE'er to investigate, even at the risk of being killed.
    So, for example, if Midras Ruins contained some notes or books left by those who were there when the city was under siege by the Obsidian Order, I might be compelled to go back there and explore more thoroughly. I would want to research it out a bit to find out how they lived their lives, what happened during the siege. This could be done with all of ruined cities/towns in that with clues being left scattered about, it could tell a story of what happened. I found this to be the case in Desolate Hills where I would find several notes left by a little girl and her father inside a small village where a story was being told concerning what happened there. This can be done with the ruined zones as well.
    Edit: I realize that for some, this suggestion will be unpopular, but for me, this would compel me to visit often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.