Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Patcher fails and then starts patching from 0

Discussion in 'Release 36 Bug Forum' started by Couldin, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

The stand-alone client will be patching from, say, 509->510 and then randomly fail and give an option to retry. When I select retry it starts patching all over from 0, so it's now 0->511 and is going to take hours to patch the game.

This seems to happen every time there's a new major release. It's incredibly frustrating as the download speeds on the patcher are also incredibly slow. I've spent 1.5 hours trying to get from 504->511 only for it to fail and I'm now all the way back down to 0. I know of multiple people with this problem, but I don't believe I've seen a bug report of it so I figured I'd toss it up here.

If you need any logs or anything let me know and I'll send over the needed logs/info.

-Couldin

Ancev likes this.
  2. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Reported this in previous release IIRC. It's happened to me many times in the past on windows 10, various PC's. Occurs after the patch has been downloaded. Doesn't seem to occur on the Steam client (from what I've heard)

When you're patching multiple PC's for other friends or fam it can be a real chore especially if a few of the PC's get patched properly but one of them does not.

3. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

@Couldin

I believe restarting from 0 after a patch fails is by design, so the bug here would be the crash. IIRC there were changes to the launcher with r36 which helped with a great number of crash reports we were getting in R35, so I think we've wiped the slate on the old launcher bugs, but this release there continue to be some reports of the launcher crashing. (also, fyi, some people have noted their antirirus or firewalls interfering with the launcher.)

If you have any more specific details to share regarding error messages, steps to reproduce, system configuration, I'll add those to the record, but otherwise we're already tracking this one, thanks for the additional report.

4. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

I have no firewall or antivirius running on this particular computer. There's nothing of much on it as it's just a second computer I use to run SotA. It's been happening on it since well before R35. I started using it as a second computer before the land rush and it seems everything release this has happened.

I think the error message is just something like "the patch has failed please select from the following options" and there's retry, abort, and cancel. I press retry and then it starts all over from 0. I'll have the computer specs posted shortly. Maybe @Ancev could post his also.

11/30/2016 9:29 AM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16317
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series GPU RAM: 2029
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.511.Date.11.21.16
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_02_template/Twin Traders
    Area Display Name: Twin Traders