1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Patterns: Gear and Decoration Reshaping

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

This is great news!!! going to buy some stuff now... thanks! I've been DIEING for this system to come in... YAY!

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I'm guessing you did not yet watch the post mortem where we explained that this feature was actually very easy to implement.

3. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@DarkStarr

For pledge / add-on / bundle gear, can you add to the item tooltip "Contains Eternal Pattern", or something similar? So that this indication is in-game (and not just in the Release notes / on the website).

So that we know for sure before salvaging such an item, that it contains an Eternal Pattern (to avoid salvaging an item that in fact doesn't have a pattern implemented yet).

Also - a confirmation dialog please before salvaging pledge / add-on / bundle gear. I'm sure there will be mistaken salvages - anything to prevent this beforehand would be appreciated.

Tamsen, Sara Dreygon, Acred and 4 others like this.
  4. DarkStarr

No skill required

5. DarkStarr

100%

6. DarkStarr

Not intending to gate this by skill level of any kind

StarLord likes this.
  7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@DarkStarr - well a number of us have spent vast fortunes on getting recipes todate, it sounds a lot like the new patterns will replace many of them. If so, what happens to the old ones?

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What's an example of that?

I don't think that's how this works. If you make a sword, it can have one of however many patters they make. A pattern is not a sword, it's just the skin around the sword that makes it look one way or another. The sword recipe doesn't change.

majoria70, Numa and Brass Knuckles like this.
  9. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

@DarkStarr Can someone steal the weapon or armor that has the eternal pattern?

Also in general, can thieves pick-pocket equipped items? Someone stealing a two-handed broadsword from your pack doesn't seem feasible.

10. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Correct. I haven't committed the two hours to watching it yet. But I wasn't referring to the complexity of implementation. I apologize for my lack of clarity. I was referring to the complexity from the end users perspective.

It sounds incredibly complex and potentially wrought with exploits and but PR. Just think about the support email generation factor this feature has. The end users view (my perspective) is all I was referring to, not the difficulty in programming. I'd rather see polish on KS features than new ones, regardless of if they are simple or difficult to implement.

11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@DarkStarr - sorry if this has been said already; however, a clear indicator on the add-on store to know what types of armor the pattern would effect would be GREAT. IE: you can use this on cloth armor only. Some of the add-on items are hard to differentiate what types of armor they are from the pictures.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes.

No.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Patterns are not new recipes, they are able to apply a skin to existing gear. So all your recipes still create the gear, patterns can just be applied to gear that has already been crafted.

14. yobtar

yobtar Avatar

I agree with this

15. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@DarkStarr Very nice! Thanks for the new pattern system. I have a few questions just because someone has to ask...
    • What happens if I try to salvage my pledge/bundle item to get the pattern and the pattern hasn't been implemented for that item yet...? Will the pledge/bundle items be un-salvageable until the patterns are implemented or could I inadvertently destroy my pledge/bundle item?
    • What happens if I salvage a pledge/bundle item to get the eternal pattern and then apply that pattern to another pledge/bundle item?
    Wont apply? When I salvage that item I get both patterns? Something else? (You know someone somewhere is going to try to apply the striped cloak pattern over their benefactor cloak...)​
    • Can I change my mind without destroying the item? For example, I make a set of awesome obsidian plate armor and I decide to apply the elf armor bundle pattern to my cool obsidian plate. Two months later you guys release the new super duper gold dragon armor pattern and I buy it. Can I apply it to my obsidian plate and get my elf pattern back?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Acred likes this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@mystarr - good question regarding using a new pattern over an old one.

17. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@DarkStarr This new pattern system really makes me wonder if we can get the ability to "undo" sales to NPC vendors. For example:
    • I spend $16 to buy the new Flamberge 2 handed sword. ( I assume it has value 0 and cant be accidentally sold to an npc vendor)
    • I salvage my Flamberge sword and apply the eternal pattern to my favorite obsidan 2 handed sword (I assume this now has value greater than 0 and can be sold to an npc vendor)
    • I kill a bunch of skeletons and go to my local blacksmith to sell all of my rusty swords
    • DOH!!! For some reason my obsidian sword with the Flamberge pattern was unequiped (in my pack) and I sold it to that Blacksmith!!!!
    • This would make me sad without the pattern involved.
    • Toss in the pattern (that I paid actual $ for) and now I really want some way to "undo" that transaction....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  18. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I was worried about the same thing. I don't want to salvage an irreplaceable pledge item to learn that there was no eternal pattern attached to it.

Numa and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

That's what QA is for :D

Numa and By Tor like this.
  20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ill salvage the whole metropolis and see if I can get a cool island shaped hat with a little boat to drink out of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.