1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Patterns: Gear and Decoration Reshaping

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Are you going to release something that costs (like you made the dye removers) money if you want to reverse your item back to it's original unskinned appearance (but destroying the recipe, or original item as it were)?

Tamsen and Lord Andernut like this.
  2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

First iteration you will have to use tooltips but it will be pretty obvious because they will have special names like Katana vs. 2-handed sword.

3. DarkStarr

As we add eternal patterns to each piece of gear (and make pattern packs) we will clarify what type of gear it is

Acred and Violation Clauth like this.
  4. DarkStarr

We are still debating the role of masks in the system. Stay tuned.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They cover up the name of the player for a temporary amount of time! There debate over! :)

6. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Can I apply a pattern to an item that already has a pattern? If so, is the original pattern destroyed?

Acred and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I completely understand this; however, that's what the right side window is for. If you are in a rush you pay the rush fee of potential mistakes. When using special items take time to double check you don't vendor them. I'm carrying a Pax Ring around right now and double check I don't vendor it on accident EVERY time I vendor stuff :)

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  8. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I understand that we "should" all be careful, but its pretty much inevitable as the game goes live that mistakes are going to happen. Mistakes that cost you an item that was very valuable to you in game (like an artifact) will lead to very sad/mad players. Mistakes that cost you things you actually paid $ for seem even more likely to lead to rage quits and bad reviews.

Currently the game prevents me from accidentally selling a pledge/store item to a NPC vendor. If I understand the way this new pattern system works, then it is introducing a pitfall into the game that can allow you to accidentally vendor a pledge /store item.

I'm just tossing out that this kind of painful/costly mistake might be worthy of an extra system to prevent? (Extra confirmation window, Tag the items so they can't be sold to npc vendor, Add option to Buyback, Allow me to "insure" items, etc)

9. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Yes, i agree we need such an option to flag items as not sellable. Shouldnt be a big thing to code it.

Tamsen, Womby, Acred and 2 others like this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

@DarkStarr
    Im just a lowly pleb level so maybe this was posted in dev++, but thats a nice, kinda random chunk of things added.

Its purely cosmetic so i care less about it, but it does directly effect crafting, and with this and the new pots n such that came out, is gettn people some goals agian.

I do hope rare means RARE.. not 1 week till everyone has everything rare.

But very nice surpise addition to this patch!

Side note: sweet jesus i hope you guys didnt shove back the Rent function for this :p.

Numa likes this.
  11. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I think that is the reason that other games just call it SKINS, not patterns.
    @DarkStarr: any reason you did call it pattern but not skin?
    @DarkStarr: I would like to get on overview which items provide which kind of patterns. We have some examples, but no complete list - I am aware that you intend to add it later, please consider e.g. the following questions:
    Can I use a hat pattern on a hood (seems to be answered above)? A robe on a cloak or only on a robe (not yet in game)? The LB shield on any shield or only on rectangular or triangular? Which type is Elven Elder Archer Armor? ...

Fister Magee and Numa like this.
  12. DarkStarr

Not currently planning on that.

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

A potential problem worthy of debate @DarkStarr .

Hiding gear with patterns, not sure if this is mentioned some place above sorry. With this pattern system would it be possible to hide gear where this is important is from a pvp perspective. There are some gear types as an archer or any other type really I would avoid or change specs for. Meteroic plate would also change my strategy if thats hidden from me I wont be able to make my desision based on obeservations of players gear.

Example full cloth wearer im for sure using my rapid fire for bone and possibly some leather id use piercing shot spec. Could I use a bone or leather pattern to hide my cloth vunerabilties etc. ?

Will patterns allow people to be deceptive and hide thier gear to create a advatage in pvp and is this something portal wants to encourage.

I like the pattern system esp. Now I can consider illusions that benifits me in pvp situations but I dont know if this is a can of worms we should open.

This is definitely a game changer in some pvp situations.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  14. DarkStarr

You must have missed this point in my OP:
    "Reshaping will be restricted to the item type so that you can only reshape a 2-handed sword using a 2-handed sword pattern (i.e. you can’t make a 2-handed sword look like a dagger). "

So someone could not hide cloth under leather or leather under cloth

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sorry lots of info, but it will hide specific component types i.e. meteroic vrs regular iron etc. Minor thing though so may not be much of a issue.

Dont get me wrong I think this is a fun way to put out more gear variety into use.

16. DarkStarr

If the gear is set to show materials (like metal) then yes it will show the material. For example Clockwork is plate so it would show the ore type.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Salvaging a red tufted squirrel pattern, using the pattern with a wild grey squirrel combat pet on an alchemy table, turning him into a red tufted squirrel combat pet?

18. eli

eli Avatar

@DarkStarr in the Post Mortem you got me really excited by mentioning the wedding dress specifically... However, this chest slot item currently prevents you from equipping pants (and thus using light armor skills, losing out on stats, etc.) Will this restriction carry over to the item to which its pattern has been applied?

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

More specifically, why is this restriction even in place. Sure, it looks *better* when you don't wear pants underneath, but it shouldn't prevent you. There are some pieces (bodices pieces) that would even go well with this.

Its not like a 2-handed weapon, and you really can't conceivably wear something under a dress or robe. In fact, its often better to do so. Players will decide if they don't like the look of the item when something is worn underneath.

20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

last i heard, whether or not you can use a specific armor tree skill is determined by the chest. the chest in this case is the dress. if the dress is not flagged as light armor, pants won't change that you can't use the light skills.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.