PaxLair PoT in Early Release - events, news, housing, open to communities

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I am delayed entering the game in Release 23 to get to PaxLair. I will try to get there and assign some stewards Friday morning or Saturday. Worst case is I will be in game a short bit on Sunday. Thanks for your patience.

For final wipe in July, I have scheduled days off fortunately. For this release 29, it was too hard to schedule.

Also, anyone heading to the HoBLotH 3 in Austin on May 31 ... I look forward to seeing you there! This Sunday, I will put together the Fishing Quests and a few other zany things. Should be a LOT of Fun at the event! Nearly a full week in medieval garb and stuck on shoreline property without modern conveniences like my nuclear powered transistor radio and my fast-acting-brew-making-super-cream-ale-homebrew. Such technologies were not available in the middle ages. I guess we will stick to bamboo poles for fishing, swords for whacking, shields for shielding, fish for ... eating, worms for fishing, and imported fast-acting-brew-making-super-cream-ale-homebrew from some magical land. Oh, some mead too of course!

Cheers!

2. Winfield

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I quickly set Margaritte as steward of Lockbrier, will log in and add the other stewards to both Lockbrier and DragonsWatch in the morning ^.^

4. Winfield

In Release 31, June 30, 2016, I'm pretty excited about the new Housing Permissions placed into the game. This is well worth testing.

Housing Permissions: We have modified the permissions of our housing system to give owners greater control over how they share use of their property. This includes more levels of permissions and permission control per item. WARNING: All permissions have been wiped and need to be redone as part of this change.
      • Can open locked doors.
      • Can not place or remove decorations.
    • Kindred/Guild member
      • Identical to Guest with the additional ability for the owner to grant item access permissions (chests, vendors, etc.)
      • Can place, modify, or remove decorations dependent on item access privilege.
    • Trustee
      • Can add/remove permissions for lower ranks.
      • Can place, modify, or remove decorations dependent on item access privilege.
    • Co-Owner
      • Can add/remove permissions for lower ranks.
      • Can place, modify, or remove any item on the plot.
    • Owner
      • Actual home owner.
      • Can add/remove any permissions.
      • Can place, modify, or remove any item on the plot.

So, when the Final Wipe comes in Release 32 (next month / end of July), we can get portions of PaxLair up and running early on (Castle, Keep, City, etc.) during the "phased land rush". Why are these permissions significant?

• We can place our best equipment (e.g., crafting tables, printing presses) for people to use while ensuring they are not inadvertently taken from the property.
    • Warehouse can now have Kindred boxes, Trustee, boxes, etc. for distribution, re-distribution, sorting things out, issuing certain items via the Quartermaster player, etc. We were going to do this with two different physical lots because of permission restrictions, but now I think we can run a complete warehouse (with large basement) and run it like a real shop.
    • Our establishments (pubs, libraries, etc.) can have more secure storage and teams of people running the establishment for customers.
    • Dinner parties... we can have tables set up where the tables can't be moved, but the food on the tables can be moved (using Kindred access).
      • I think one additional permission is needed where guests can remove items (but not place items) based on item access privilege. If we desire this additional permission when we test things, we can add it in R31 Feedback. So we should run a dinner party and see how it goes, where we serve food and such (like we do in UO).
    • For our town hall and libraries, we will have books and papers for people to read, but not take. We shall have to test if containers can be opened by guests, and people can read contents like books, but not take them. This can reduce the number of library books on shelves, reduce lag, etc.

I thank everyone in and around PaxLair for testing many things through these 3-month wipes. We are close to final wipe, but it is not game launch yet. Monthly releases continue with new/modified capabilities. So we are still testing a lot of things and offering feedback and ideas to the developers.

For PaxLair history purposes, we enter our Settler Period during Release 32. That means, we will increase our role-playing, organization, citizenry, residents, establishments, events, communication, and more. Since it is a Settler period, most things are not decided how PaxLair City (the cluster of several POTs that we call boroughs) will organize and operate. We don't have mayor(s) yet, a council if we want one, formation of our guilds for truth, love, and courage, etc. The main thing we have are our tenets of Peace, Neutrality, and Role-playing carried over from the old PaxLair. We will continue to strive to be drama-free and respect each other.

Personally, I am getting more free time (as expected) in July to return to Shroud, PaxLair, and the forums and discussions. I've been away for a month and looking forward to a bright future here.

5. Winfield

Published to our PaxLair Facebook Page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/paxlair/

(SotA) Shroud of the Avatar is fast approaching Final Wipe (July 28, 2016) after which our avatars will forever be persistent in New Britannia. Our actions will have purpose and consequences. Yet, New Britannia is not "launched" yet as the terrain is still rugged and the local (NPCs) do not yet know all they should know (quests and storylines).

We of PaxLair are ready to settle into New Britannia after Final Wipe. In fact, we have a Castle Lot to use in PaxLair on July 28th after about 1700 CDT. It is our Settler Phase 0 where we will work together through August 24 as each of us may place our house lots in PaxLair or around the continent of Novia. Our Castle Lot will have a simple barn and plenty of land to bring our citizens, friends, residents, settlers, and many people together ... to learn and work together.

PaxLair in SotA will be built by the citizens and residents with advice of visitors and friends. it will be a realistic city of multiple boroughs (other Player Owned Towns connected together) where many people may live and visit. We will have many guilds, establishments, government, events, and plenty to do and enjoy. All is not defined on purpose, because we start as settlers.

Remember, PaxLair is a city, not a guild. Anyone has an opportunity to live in PaxLair from any guild, group, or as individuals.

May we build PaxLair wisely. Dragonspeed to us all.

We have a vision for how PaxLair might be laid out in the metropolis POT. This draft is contained in this SotAMap. It was tested several months ago.

http://www.sotamap.com/?map_id=228

6. Ashron

Ashron Avatar

How wonderful to find Paxlair here !

I played UO for many years on Chessy. You may have known me as Cirion. I was a Paxlair Guard under Thelorn starting in 1998 and Captain of the Guards afterward (2000/2002).

Looking forward to visit.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. Winfield

I remember you Cirion! We have a guild that is focused on guarding PaxLair in SotA too. So the overall concepts of how we created and operated PaxLair in UO, and still do there, are being dusted off and applied here in SotA. It's a lot of fun.

We are in the Settler phase where we don't have government, much organization, and not enough wood to go around. So come hang out with us, see what you want to do, do a little fishing with us, etc.

Great to see you!

Winfield, Old Man

8. Ashron

Ashron Avatar

Nice to hear from you Winfield :)

Sounds like a plan ! It seems I have learned to brew a unique kind of beer. This will be the time to test it out !

I was very fond of PxG and its members, the idea to revive it here in SotA is rather exciting. You may recall that Game mechanics in UO made it rather challenging as a whole. I wonder how it could work here.

See you all soon.

9. stidesx

stidesx Avatar

I've been visiting every night. It's really nice to see it construction progress day by day.

Mata, Acred, Sean Silverfoot and 2 others like this.
  10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Well met! and welcome. If you own a lot let me know and I'll get you on the housing list. If not see me in game and we'll get you situated. A more up to date map on SOTAMAp

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Mata, Acred, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  11. Ashron

Ashron Avatar

Thank you Sean. I do own a couple of lots to place. I will gladly use one in Paxlair ! I'll check the map and get in touch with you.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Great! Other sections of town yet to develop would be up in that Stonridge/Castle area, that area we will develop after our settler period. So more lots coming down the line.

13. Winfield

Things are going very well in PaxLair City: our multiple POTs including the PaxLair Metropolis.

The metropolis is being built "organically" so you won't see many houses yet. Settler period is up on the castle lot ridge area just up the hill from the main entrance. Some other houses are being placed in the outskirt areas in the scene and then may move towards downtown as we make progress in a few months.

We will be holding meetings and gatherings to develop our government, trade agreements, businesses, libraries, guard fighting force and more. Again, all is done slowly. In fact, I hope we can appoint or elect two Mayors of PaxLair within the next 3 months to serve for 6 month or 1 year terms or something like that. 2 Mayors are needed because we want to be 24/7 to the world community (East hemisphere and West hemisphere) and the two mayors would work together. I do not want to be one of the mayors as I will still remain as overall Governor to be the wise old fisherman giving advice and such, for what that's worth.​

So there are great opportunities coming up as we settle in. Just be patient with us and please participate with us as we build this city into a "real" city coming out of ashes/decay, with old and new settlers.

As we work, hang out in the following TS3 server and anyone may come and talk with us, hang out, and interact.

TeamSpeak 3
    43.245.163.15:10099​

We have two PaxLair meetings on Sundays open to everyone:

- 0830 CDT in PaxLair and in TeamSpeak
    - 1900 CDT in PaxLair and in TeamSpeak
    We also have a News Reporters meeting on Sundays where we are learning journalism with Associated Press standards. Anyone may come and listen and join us.
    - 1830 CDT in PaxLair and in TeamSpeak​

I hope this update helps a little bit. Thanks!

Mata, Acred, Katrina Bekers and 3 others like this.
  14. Winfield

Here are some ideas for our weekly PaxLair meetings and casual gatherings/discussions during the week:
    • Rotate the meetings to different locations in our cluster POTs (10 of them).
    • Don't get bogged down in lots of action items, things to do, organization, etc.
    • Tend to have the meetings more exploratory and casual during our settler period (a few months).
    • Come up with fun and cool ideas for some events, construction (like battle forts in Dragons Watch PVP POT), and working together.
    • Encourage ANYONE to attend our meetings to hear ideas and offer ideas. People do not need to be residents, citizens, shop owners, tenants of PaxLair City boroughs.
    • Encourage all our guilds (truth, love, courage -- Pax et Veritas, Pax et Amor, Pax et Fortitudo) and other guilds to hang out together and share ideas and experiences.
    • Essentially, keep everything very casual, in settler mode.
    • Talk about potential relations with other towns, but we don't have a government yet to make treaties or alliances.
    • Help people who are not or think they are not part of PaxLair to realize they don't need to be in a PaxLair guild to be part of PaxLair, nor even live in the POTs. Just come and enjoy the City and help out.
    • Encourage new players to realize they can hang out in PaxLair and have private chests if they need more storage.
    So in other words, everyone is welcome to come to our PaxLair meetings and to PaxLair any time to hear and/or participate in what we are doing. We love new ideas and love to share ideas.

Thanks!

Ashron, Celthon, Mata and 4 others like this.
  15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Landing request to town manager, @Sean Silverfoot

Landing field established on outer island of PaxLair settlement territory. Delivery of stone for lighthouse construction now underway. Please give our thanks to Govenor @Winfield for the arrangement of landing lights from the mysterious tower in PaxLair bay. Odd as it was, the lighting was useful for guidance.

Best regards,
    Stryker Sparhawk, Sparhawk Skyworks

Time Lord, Mata, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

@Stryker Sparhawk, Permission granted ! The new lighthouse will be a great help for the safety of our port and the ships entering.

Many Thanks for assisting on this project.

Se'an Silverfoot
    PaxLair Town Manager

Time Lord, Mata, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  17. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Status report to @Sean Silverfoot :
    All stone unloaded and moved to staging site for construction. Bird has cleared the field. Thank you for all the assistance.

Winfield, Acred and Time Lord like this.
  18. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Notice sent to @Stryker Sparhawk:

PaxLair wish's Sparhawk Skyworks a save trip home and little turbulence.

We look forward to working with your service again for future projects.

Se'an Silverfoot
    PaxLair Town Manager

Winfield, Acred and Time Lord like this.
  19. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Glad to see PaxLair is alive and well. I have lots of fond memories of PaxLair in UO. (I was Mystarr back in UO.)

Time Lord, Ashron, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Stop by and see us1 We're in our settler period, if your looking for a housing situation please give me a shout.

Se'an

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.