Pay to win

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Cj_2, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

The more I watch the development of this game the more I'm convinced of the "pay to win" aspect my brother mentioned. At first I wasn't so much concerned, but now its house storage, lot selection, and bank slots. What is next? Have a feeling ill be selling my pledge before this game launches. :/

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I recommend Andernutt. He is a good broker.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

If your idea of winning is to buy a house or to hoard every item you see then yes , you are correct. Otherwise no. Each bank is separate storage, that is allot.

4. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Thank you for the recommendation (sarcastic)

5. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

I do feel as it is starting to lead to quite a few in game advantages. new abilities before others house placement is important. Never the less $1600 just isnt enough for them.

Heradite and Tahru like this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Just trying to be helpful, as you said you might sell your pledge. Now about the other part of your statement is a personal view, how are we supposed to comment on that? Say that you are right or wrong. I believe its inflammatory myself but its your thread.

7. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Ref Dev+ fourms for others that agree with the fact.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is so far from pay to win games there is no comparison. People that heavily supported game development get a few perks but the majority of it is cosmetic. It is not like you can buy more powerful equipment, in game gold, unique spells etc

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say if that's how you feel and you don't want to continue than do what Ravicus has suggested and contact contact Lord Andernut about selling your pledge.

I don't know about anyone else but I kind of feel that threads like this have been done to death and have got to the point where I can no longer be bothered arguing why the game isn't pay to win. If you don't like the crowd funding concept and structure then move on.

10. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Just disagree with the aspect. I understand the need for financial support. Yet I feel that way to much attention is being given to these pledges instead. Step up to defend the game just as I do on some aspect. This pay to win aspect will continue to grow as the development goes on. I was in your shoes during the kickstarter.

sgt_pEppEr likes this.
  11. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

or you could just not post in threads you dont want to be part of

sgt_pEppEr and Destroying Angel like this.
  12. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Guess I should call it "pay for giant advantages in game"

sgt_pEppEr and licemeat like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think you have a valid concern and although I remain cautiously optimistic it is not going to be P2W, I am concerned as well. However, if it stops with the bank slot idea, I will be fine with it.

Anyway, what is P2W? My definition of P2W is that the game that allows you to bypass the "work" of building your avatar by paying. There are plenty of F2P games that are not P2W, as they are actually selling subscriptions. I am against being nickel and dimed to death like a P2W games does, but I actually want to pay for a game that is fun to play and has good quality, if for no other reason than to filter out the majority of the trolls.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I understand your concern. We definitely do not want to go into the pay to win type of game. So far the development team has been very careful to not do this.
    Housing is not the same thing, it was a ncessary evil to get the game funded and not a total requirement of playing the game.

I had the most fun in R13 getting my little row house, it was really cozy. From the satisfaction of working hard for something. Also in playing UO it was no big deal to not start with a house.
    I did not know any better. As others won't, it will just be one of the challenges and things to strive for. Many won't even know about this kickstarter and all that went on here.

I was going to welcome you to Shrouds Muffin Man, ahhh I see you've been here for a while just haven't seen your posts.

Budner, 4EverLost, licemeat and 2 others like this.
  15. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

I really appreciate my 200 bank slot while others have 700-1000. "real appreciation" from the dev.

sgt_pEppEr and Tahru like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If I had to guess, they tied it to the tier level in part because each tier carries with it the burden of having more items. It sounds funny to describe it that way, but in R14 there was initially a 250 item bank limit and the higher pledges could not put anything in the bank.

4EverLost and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I prefer the model of time = $. Sure you'll get that doodad faster if you've contributed more to the development, but anything that affects gameplay is generally available. I do wonder if they will imbalance the game too much in this case. I'd imagine those with rent free deeds and prosperity tools will be overwhelmingly outpacing those grinding to pay rent and gathering 2-3x longer for the same results.

Logain, Heradite, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  18. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

These "pledges" are getting way to much attention. Very valid statement you make. I'm over it. Just lost my investment :/ happens.

sgt_pEppEr, 4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Incentive to pledge me thinks! :)

Tahru likes this.
  20. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Dirk thank you so much for putting things in perspective for most people. Not pay to win, but damn close

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.