Pay to win

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Cj_2, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

The bank is just that "bit to much"

sgt_pEppEr likes this.
  2. Cj_2

Cj_2 Avatar

Winning - "Being drastically overpowered in comparison to the majority."

sgt_pEppEr likes this.
  3. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Pay to Win means I get an advantage over you in combat. An example I spent 50 dollars for a magic sword that is ten times better than anything you can craft. I then take such sword and best you in pve and pvp where its pointless to craft and or play. That is pay to win. Not me having a house that gives me zero in game combat powers.

Hoes does my owning a house make me any better? Your idea of "win" is quite unusual.

4. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I love it when people post things like "Pay to win", in an attempt to draw as much attention as possible to what they are saying, when in fact that term is being misused and has nothing to do with the intent of the OP's thread.

Pay to win implies that, in return for paying RL cash, you will be able to "win" or "beat" the game instead of investing time inside the game.

What on earth that has to do with peoples banks being able to store more "stuff" in it is ridiculous. How does that allow you to beat the game without investing time inside it. Not to mention you cant "beat" this game anyway since theres no end (unless you are playing the single player adventure of course). Therefore this is not "pay to win" in any sense of the phrase.

To the OP : If you are going to make a thread about how you are upset that people who pay more are getting bigger bank storage, go right ahead, but dont make it purposely inflammatory, attempt to add weight to your argument, or use terms that have nothing to do with what you are trying to say. It demeans your argument.

/end rant

5. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

Say what you will, but it doesn't change the fact that there are very tangible benefits to backing at higher levels that are easily leveraged into having advantages over those who don't back at the same or even higher levels.

Having a house from the start gives you a huge head start and competitive edge when it comes to things like making gold, crafting viable gear for yourself/friends/customers, and being able to market and sell your wares to the masses.

For one, you will start the game with expert level crafting stations, commission free vendor, more storage options, and no gold sink ("rent"). The player who doesn't start with these advantages will be spending a huge amount of time to grind the gold it takes to even buy a simple house and lot, time you can spend doing other things that are more productive/profitable.

Perhaps instead of grinding gold, you spend your free time sparring with a friend or completing very tough end-game content and get very good at combat... or maybe when the low-pledge is busy grinding for gold, you have spent your free time leveling up to the point you can go into scenes that are too dangerous for the low pledge player where you can harvest rare and hard to find materials that allow you to create better gear for yourself and your friends on your expert crafting station.

This doesn't mean high pledges will always be better at combat than the low-pledge player, but most skilled players will take the goodies from their higher pledges and be able to leverage that advantage into better gear and more time spent completing content that the low-pledge player hasn't even dreamed of yet.

I find it a very selective reasoning when higher pledges dismiss these types of concerns because they contend that having a house gives them zero in game combat powers. While that may be true directly, the indirect benefits are easy to see, and any who willfully ignore that are not being honest with themselves.

Edit to add: I pledged Lord, but that doesn't change the fact that I can see and freely admit that, more often than not, my pledge level is going to give me a decided advantage over players who have pledged far less.

Logain, Tasali, Noctiflora and 3 others like this.
  6. Curt

Curt Avatar

A separate storage that only is for pledge items and add on store items is what i would prefer.
    As for bank space i believe it would be good if you had a base number in each local bank(20 in each?) and perhaps bit more in the town you has a house in.

Kuno Brauer, Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Why? How? Is there an assumption that these bank spaces are static and not adjustable in game? Or am I making an assumption that they will be?

As I said in my last post, the finish line is the place you win. The starting line is not. So what they start with 1000 bank slots if we all can work to have 2000 with in game efforts.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Having a house doesn't make me any more gold ? How does that happen? Crafting gear? I can craft gear at any house I walk into? Market and sell gear to the masses? Ok you got me there I get a free vendor and you have to pay for it with gold.

All of this doesnt make me more powerful than you in combat. I still dont see how I have more gold than anyone else. Especially me being a city owner I will ALWAYS be broke. Why because every last dime will go to city defenses. So you pay for your vendor that is like say 100 gold a week and I have to pay for city defense which will be ALOT. It all evens out I have my own gold sinks you will never have to feed. Also a Titan Shield fades away so I will have to keep pumping gold into it....

A Titan shield is not only extremely costly but its necessary to keep business flowing. Who is going to help me with that gold? I will have to beg for gold to support my city. Just to power a Titan Shield a city will need Power... To wire a city solely with power will be costly...

So again you are crying about a vendor that will cost you a few gold and I am stuck feeding a Titan Shield that the cost will require me begging my city members... If they dont give me the gold my $5300.00 pledge only give me a cost free vendor!! Wow the advantages!!! I don't see a Pay to Win on my side of the fence. I see a Pay to Be resposible for keeping a city productive which is NOT CHEAP at all my friend.

And here is the kicker... If no one helps me my city will be empty. Who wants a vendor in a city that is constantly raided and the vendors disabled?? No one why because their vendors wont make money.

You are a Lord now, that is where I started. Yes you will never buy a city right?? Hehe I was there too. Once you become a landower we can finally chat about your new headaches....

Here is a summary of a Pay To Win definition from the web.

"Pay to Win" items:​

• Gear that is stronger and / or infinitely times better than current gear the Free to Play character can obtain.
    • Potions that increase your stats, or abilities.

NOT "Pay to Win" items:​

• EXP Potions
    • Cosmetic Items
    • Leveling Gear
    Things like these define a P2W game or a F2P game. Obviously some are subject to opinions and changes, and multiple other things I haven't typed, but you get the idea.​
    There Cosmetic gear is a house and a tree or a basement. Leveling gear is the starter gear I get for my pledge. So again these developers were very careful to NOT create a Pay to Win game. Yet you beg to differ.​

Also people complaining about not having enough plots?? My city is pretty much vacant at the moment... No one has bothered to reach out to me to aquire a spot. Yet I have been to every Welcome quest advertising it. So anyone left without a place to put their house, its YOUR BAD.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

10. Duke William of Serenite

Bank slot is cosmetic.

11. Duke William of Serenite

Could not agree more their definition of Pay to Win is over cosmetic items and bank space LOL!

Innessa Lelania likes this.
  12. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

Crafting gear at any house you walk into is very different from being able to do so on your home turf right next to your stored goods. At home, you will know where to grab stuff from, you will have everything in one location (a small, compact area). Home court advantage is at play here. There is a timesink, however minor it is, that players without housing will experience when running between bank, crafting station, and vendor... This is but one of the many advantages to having a house.

Also, it's not just about a free vendor: that free vendor will can be located in a well-decorated, well-placed spot and might give your goods much better visibility and prestige in the long-run. I realize, again, this is a very small advantage, but I was just pointing out that LITTLE advantages like these, when fully utilized, might result in a big difference in outcomes that could then be put into gear, easily-afforded respecs and alternate sets of gear, and extra time to explore content that those busy grinding for a house won't have time for until they.

I'm not saying you will have extra time. I'm not saying you will have all this money (your choice to own a city is your own and I find it really distasteful how you deem me without land because I'm just a lowly Lord who doesn't understand a thing because I don't own a city...). I'm just saying that it very easily can give the type of advantage to some players that WILL result in a meaningful advantage on the field of battle.

Personally, I don't really worry about "P2W" or these types of matters in games that don't really have an end, but I do understand why people are concerned and while you clearly don't agree with me, I think housing (and storage space there and more in the bank) gives people a big advantage they can pour into gearing their character in the best armor gold can buy. The money they would have put into buying a lot, house deed, and upkeep can instead be put toward gear; the time they would have spent grinding gold, devoted toward improving their combat skills by sparring with pvp'ers (or completing difficult pve content)... The main difference is that I honestly don't care about it on the level of combat. I can just see how a "storage caste system" will really turn off new blood (and old). That fact that you want to dismiss it, and that you talk down to people and judge what we can and do understand based upon what we pledge and own is just a symptom of a larger problem.

Your choice, not mine. And talk about 1st world problems...

Again, this was a choice you made for yourself. I understand it might make gold difficult to come by for you, but I'm not sure why that makes it impossible for other players with houses and expert crafting stations at launch to spin gold from straw, as it were...

I certainly know that I won't be helping a city lead by somebody who says this kind of stuff:

And then condescendingly points to definitions that serves your cause, definitions that are in fact A JOKE (I didn't realize a forum post by "PenguinChan" was an authoritative source to cite during an exchange where you dismissing the concerns of people and putting them down at every turn).......

You city is vacant? No one has bothered to reach out to you to acquire a spot? HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY? Just look at your conduct here, the superior and smug tone you take in your posts. While most of us love certain things about the timer period for a game like this, we don't want to actually be lorded over and treated like peons... I certainly want nothing to do with you now and I have been strongly reminded why I walked away from this game for awhile, and probably should again.

Enjoy your empty city and what might be an empty game because some of you have clearly decided that the "fun" you're going to have in this game is to buy the right to dismiss what people have to say (because they are not a city owner yet... "hehe" "oh look at the cute little Lord, trying to say he understands my plight!").... and then copy and paste self-serving definitions as if we're all just so stupid we need you to clarify very basic terms for us.........

Noctiflora and steanne like this.
  13. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

I don't believe the game is P2W at all and people seem to have different interpretations of what it means. When I think of P2W its a game that has items (which are primarily combat related) that can be bought for real world currency that are better than a BIS item currently in game. SoTA is not even remotely close to P2W in my opinion.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Its pay to make the game exist.

15. Duke William of Serenite

I am still not paying to win. Pay to win means something else. Yes I have to pull a definition off the web because you call Pay To Win extra bank space LOL!! Yes I am taking over the world because I can have a few extra bank slots...

Sorry that is NOT pay to Win. Being close to a bank is not pay to win either.

One more time...
    Here is a summary of a Pay To Win definition from the web.

"Pay to Win" items:

• Gear that is stronger and / or infinitely times better than current gear the Free to Play character can obtain.
    • Potions that increase your stats, or abilities.

NOT "Pay to Win" items:

• EXP Potions
    • Cosmetic Items
    • Leveling Gear
    Things like these define a P2W game or a F2P game. Obviously some are subject to opinions and changes, and multiple other things I haven't typed, but you get the idea.
    There Cosmetic gear is a house and a tree or a basement. Leveling gear is the starter gear I get for my pledge. So again these developers were very careful to NOT create a Pay to Win game. Yet you beg to differ.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Someone paying more money than you are willing to pay. Them getting something you want with that payment. No method for you to obtain it without paying.

Sucks, but it's not winning.

That may be the case with this build phase of SotA. Eventually all those things you are unwilling to pay for are going to be things you can earn in game.

17. sgt pEppEr

sgt pEppEr Avatar

They could have done a number of things different/better. Each decision like this just shrinks the community because of perceptions, and will continue to hobble an already niche game.

For example:

1) Make them based on the level of your highest level in game character (ever achieved, once obtained, is locked). So you get to level 35 and they give you say 10 slots per ingame level, boom, you have 350 slots + base forever, on any other character made.

2) Give slots with add on purchases. You would give everyone a big base, then if they bought more add-on store crap, they would get the requisite bank slots to accommodate those new items so people would always have room, AND, it would put the onus on US to buy more junk to support the game instead of straight up pay more for slots == pay 2 advantage feel.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

These seem like two very reasonable options.

Tahru likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

One think I'm suggesting they could do is attach extra bank slots to lot deed ownership. That wouldn't only apply to pledge item lot deeds, but any lot deed purchasable through the game. So anyone can earn this, plus a lot of the backer bank slots would be tied to their own deed, which they could give away or sell. The idea is that if you're moving your house, you might use bank space to manage everything and it removes the hassle. Plus it gives value to a lot deed even if you can't find a lot to purchase -- making it more than a virtual piece of paper.

Tahru and sgt pEppEr like this.
  20. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I currently play a F2P game that is heavily pay to win:oops:. Mages with magic blast FTW.

Having experienced it firsthand, I can honestly tell you, OP, that this game is in no way P2W. It's so far from it, I sometimes wonder why I'm still playing that other game. :rolleyes:

Here, you don't need to pay real cash every time just to be on an equal footing when you pvp. Here, you don't need to pay real cash every time you want to advance in level. Here, you don't need to pay real cash if you want to have a pretty, shiny toy to swing around. Here, you don't need real cash to buy a house. You can do it all and still be on an equal footing as anyone else. Sure, you might not have as big a bank as the other guy, but once you get a house I hear those worries should go out the window. Personally, I've yet to buy a house as I'm a wandering vagabond destined to roam from town to town. And I'm enjoying it very much, thank you.

Besides, being poor motivates me to work harder for better things. So, I like that the people that pay more get a perk - motivates me so I too can one day have similar things to play with.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.