Pay to win

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Cj_2, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Your attitude just got you a free plot in my city. I will also hold the plot and wait for you to buy your deed with gold. No need to waste your real cash or kill yourself grinding. I will message you in forums so we can discuss.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This community sucks - said no one ever.

3. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I actually love this community, that is why I invested in the game. I can recommend some events for you to see what I speak of. What makes this game is not the graphics or the game. For me its the community. We have some very special people here.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Up to this point I've disagreed that housing counted as pay to win because housing wasn't an advantage. With encumbrance and limited bank slots, now there is an advantage.

I'm hoping that the devs listen to this feedback and reconsider bank storage. Let's say that this wasn't a crowd-funded game. Let's say there was no Kickstarter and no one paid cash for houses. In that scenario, paying for bank storage is paying for convenience. It would be justifiable by itself. But in the context that people paid cash for houses, it suddenly makes those houses advantageous and leads some credence to the claims of pay-to-win unfortunately.

Kuno Brauer, Tahru, Tarsin and 2 others like this.
  5. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Totally agree enderandrew. Even though this thread expresses a lot of frustration (which might actually be a good thing) it's hard to deny the general sentiment. There have been enough discussions on the forums about it that I hope the dev team will reconsider how to handle this. Or, at the very least write a lengthy post describing how this will only affect a very small number of players...

Koldar likes this.
  6. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

And yet you continue to copy and paste a definition that is anything but authoritative. That definition was posted in a forum thread by a user named "PenguinChan," so post it as often as you like, but it doesn't mean I will accept the validity of what it says any sooner....

You see, I don't put any great stock in the judgment of PenguinChan on this matter despite what you might think of his/her ability to speak with authority about this issue is. Some random forum poster's definition that you cherry-pick is hardly a legit appeal to expert opinion, regardless of how many times you keep copying and pasting the "definition."

In contrast to your dogged certainty and insistence on taking the word of some random forum poster as some kind of indisputable authority on the matter, I accept that definitions vary and that *SOME* people might view the advantages of housing and greater bank space as borderline P2W.

I'm more in agreement with this sentiment when it comes to defining such a term (which, as a source, is a tad more authoritative than PenguinChan):
    ^The above discussion question on Massively clearly points to the fact that the definition of "P2W" depends on the beholder. You very clearly have your position, and I can tell you don't take anything we say at face value (because we are such lowly peons, what with our lack of city ownership and all), but none of that changes the fact that many people are going to see things like a "caste system" established around bank storage and the like as a detrimental P2W mechanism.

Ignore our impressions and reactions all you want, but they still are important to take into consideration unless you want to be lording it up in an empty game because all of us nobodies are so turned off by your type of elitism that we move on to find greener pastures in more welcoming cyber-realms.

I'm very sorry to have engaged in this exchange and to find myself sullied by this kind of virtual class warfare. You have made it clear that my opinion holds no sway with you (until I buy a city and fund at a higher level), so my apologies for wasting your Dukeship's precious time.

May you enjoy your many bank slots and city ownership while playing your country club simulator 9000, Duke William. Please send Ser PenguinChan, apparently an authority on all things MMO, my fond regards.

Very truly yours,
    -Gutter-dwelling Street Urchin

Deathblow and sgt pEppEr like this.
  7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Personally I believe people are using the narrowest interpretation of "Pay to win" in order to try to avoid this criticism of what amounts to false advertising in the sense of RG when he was selling the game stating "This will be BUY TO OWN, we will NOT be nickle and diming people". Personally I like the term that Jim Sterling created for these sorts of anti consumer practices "FEE TO PAY"

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  8. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I consider housing to be a fickle beast, as once another chapter is released, the older towns will be largely extinct and the new lands will be the new best real-estate to be in. I believe this game is Pay-to-own, but PtO is still advantageous in numerous ways. Once the last chapter is finished and we've all hit the end-game, everyone will be so spread out and only then will we know where the most expensive real-estate is. By then anyone who had a large enough pledge and placed their home will have moved several times.

I believe that banks should be set in stone, no buying of space for banks, same as how we can't upgrade the amount of items we can place in our homes, a set amount. I also think that if houses are able to have an infinite amount of items stored in the chests, etc. then banks should also be infinite. There should be a limited amount of chests per house, and a limited amount of items per chest, on par with the banks so as to not have infinite inventories.

Assuming developers would want players to cycle out items and not hold onto them for too long, limiting the amount of item space available would ensure that some items make their way back into the game to be recycled by players over and over, instead of letting the items rot in someone's inactive tax-fee home.

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There is many people on here freaking about missing out on housing, yet most PoTs have allot of unreserved plots :) Come live in our cities, we are all very nice.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Players owning towns.. sheer madness.

11. enderandrew

There are only so many people active on the forums right now, and only so many players active in testing right now.

I've noticed that many player towns aren't filling up right now, and that's fine.

Just wait until launch. I suspect we'll have over 100,000 copies of the game sold. There will be plenty of players in need of lots.

12. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Player owned towns will be full of the true enthusiasts. I'm sure they'll be great communities to join.

13. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I am a "high" pledge that is horrible at combat. Most everyone in this thread could probably school me. Anyone willing to mentor?

enderandrew, Koldar and Tahru like this.
  14. enderandrew

I'm sure we've got some members in MGT who would be more than willing to help you. DavenRock and Isaiah are fairly skilled in duels/PvP. I can help you with the basics of the skill trees, glyphs, deck-building, combos, etc.

Feel free to:

/friend Erik O'Connor
    /friend DavenRock
    /friend Isaiah

Archibald Leatherneck and Tahru like this.
  15. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the offer.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Well put....

brentsasz, Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.