People quitting SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackghost, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

So If I beleive Berek,

Please understand that the players who left did so because they were in large part causing issues with the rest of the community and felt compelled to leave due to the need for us to moderate them, had deep conflicts with our expectations of a healthy community, or among other concerns related to the game and their expectations since the Kickstarter. That can't always be avoided, this happens, and while I never like losing a community member (there were only a couple that loudly proclaimed their exit, so let's not inflate the numbers here), we need to focus on what the current community here cares about in a constructive way in order to move this game forward to the finish line.

Those people were causing issues? Really?
    These people backed the game, beleived in this project. Some gave a lot of money for it.
    But yet, they're causing issues?

I wish I could know what are those issues.

This is sad..

Dantuin, digriz, Grumpy and 8 others like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Some repeatedly posted about how much they hate the game and mock those who actually enjoy the game. It's kinda go both ways when people have polarized opinions, things get heated up, then the mod locks the thread. Rinse and repeat.

There are many other who no longer posted on the forum because they are tired of seeing all same crap different threads over and over as well. They just don't make a dramatic exit, that's all.

The best thing to do is to voice your opinions, positive or not, as many details as possible and then move on. Don't get too personal, don't try to change people's mind. At the end of the day, this is just a game, if it's something one can have fun with, maybe better off wait for awhile or just move on to next thing after provide the feedback as constructive as one could.

At the same time, keep in mind that the forum isn't the only place to voice opinions. There are other venues that people can criticize and express their concerns freely without being restricted to the specific rules.

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea, i just blatently told berek i was taking a break from the forums, and some of the guildies simply quit the forums outright.

I try not to get as involved as i want to, as i feel im always in an uphill battle against people who like to pick out the logistics and fine print, to bypass my argument completly. I've been trying to stick to answering questions, and mostly follow forum just to see the progress of the PVP and balancing, although i admit i get sucked into too many threads with the usual people.

Its shitty to see Vallo and other big names bail. The reality is they had a TON of time and money invested in the project, and you can say what you want about their attitude, the reality is they have lost the confidence in it. Which no matter your opinion of the game, is a shame. I still wish to see SOTA succeed, but i have pulled back my expectations pretty massivly. I've made it pretty clear exactly what i feel needs to be worked on, and ive asked them to elaborate on certain things.. Most of these concerns have gone un answered, which gives me less and less reason to follow it on forums, meaning less and less interest. ( I enjoying the releases, but still quiet on the issues i care about sadly _)

Cant blame people for loosing intrest, or deciding / drawing the line of where their expectations arn't met. I have a few features i need elaborated on, that if they come out completly not up to where i think they should be, i wouldnt stick around either. But for now i have enjoyed the progress.

Selfishly, i hate seeing VALLO being quiet on forums for the big reason as him being so vocal about the PVP stuff, guildwars, keep sieges and that stuff. (this is what i actaully care about content wise, and therefore is my main intrest). I feel like his frustration into getting banned/or taking a break.. just means 1 less person pushing for the good stuff heh. That being said, its pretty easy to know when your crossign the line. *shrug* Is what it is i suppose.
    I said it before and ill say it again, i dont envy Berek's job, and i say that while disagreeing with a lot of his posts/points (respectfully).

4. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

I'm not particularly sad when people stop playing early access. The game isn't ready yet so there isn't really a huge reason to play it too much right at this moment in my opinion. Players stopping/quitting for that reason is normal. If you like it, play. If you don't like it, wait. Play the game, give your feedback/suggestions, let the developers make their decisions, wait for launch. See if the game is worth playing then.

However, I agree with @Blackghost that a player leaving due to an unhealthy community (unaccepting of different views) isn't quite the same as someone leaving because the game ain't ready. That should be something that we as a community should strive to do better.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

1st world problems again and again :rolleyes:

All i can see is people who already grind und pushed it to high end content are now have no more fun, trying to push their own interests so much and dont get what they want, discuss, want, discuss, rant, get moderatet, discuss, want, discuss, rant , get moderatet...
    And then burn out of their own expectations, wants and quit loudly.
    They dont just quit, they need to let everybody know it and make a final rant and a final hurt to the devs, because they are not delivering what they want.

I doubt all of them are really leaving.
    I just saw one of them online yesterday after all the farewells.
    And i mostly just read they quit forums not the game, because they feel restricted and moderatet too much.

Maybe time to think over how to argue things and be patient or just recognize the game isnt build around their wants, but around what the devs want to create.

It seems they never respect it and thought if they pay a lot of Money or time and state what they want again and again, the devs would do it.
    Well in some cases thats true but in cases of a open sandbox full loot PvP game it's not.
    And in many other cases too.

It sounds asif the game dies now, just because a handfull of people leave, because they dont get what they want.

Their wishes were mostly not what i want, so i really don't care very much and see the game developing in the right direction.

6. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Reality. No one really cares if someone wants to leave. Some of these player may have thought themselves pretty important, but let's get real. The majority of us players never even knew who they were or even cared for that matter. If a backer doesn't like something it's good to post their opinions here occasionally. Problems start when anyone gets to focused on these forums or others opinions. I've even had to step back from the forums myself for similar reasons in the past.

It is never fun being moderated and can in fact be quite annoying if you let it get to you. But moderation is needed especially in a forum like this with so many strong opinions valid or not. In the end the devs are gonna do what they are gonna do regardless of our input that much is painfully obvious. I've gotten to a point with SotA where I just let them do their thing hope I enjoy it and drop in my opinions here and there if I feel there is merit. We've already spent the money on our pledges the monthly fees are non existent unless you wanna buy every new pretty item from the cash store. Personally I feel the more appropriate thing for these players to do would be to silently slip into the background and just not support the game with future dollars and or sell their accounts. We don't need the drama here and sadly that's all these recents posts about quitting are...

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

No ones really quit SOTA but maybe one person who had been rage quitting on the forums for some time. There was a guild who "quit" the forums is all I saw.

jammaplaya likes this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I don't really consider it drama when people post leaving messages. It's really important feedback for port to see why and how they lose players. If a person leaves and mentions something no one else has ever said, then put can probably safely assume that it's not really an issue they need to look at. If, however there's a theme in departure messages then perhaps it's something best looked at for retention. Like when you do an exit interview for your job.

9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

thought you were just supposed to aim your keychain at your boss face :eek:

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Um.... a short break it would seem.

2112Starman likes this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea, like i said, i took a full break.. then just went to only answering questions, but unfortunatly i get sucked into some of the threads i intended to avoid.

What can i say, i still in a guild where 90% of the members refuse to use the forums, so im obligated to stay informed. Maybe with more and more of the vocal people quitting, who usually say what i want to say, i feel obligated to counter some of the terrible/misleading or simply untrue statements that get posted. Fortunatly for SOTA i like my guild and enjoy the game enough i still play ( though without the guildies, i assure you i would have walked away a long time ago and wiped my hands)

Guess i could go back to leaving the forums completly? Maybe that will make it easier for promises to be half assed, or things to be missed with only praising? I suppose thats good for the game.

Kaisa and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I actually want to point out that, while i see what your saying. I think that PORT realizes they DO actually represent a large part of the non-vocal community.

I wrote in another post about Canterbury or w.e leaving. That regardless of my feelings on him, he put a LOT of time and effort into making arguments and counter discussions on issues, that others wont/didnt take the time to make. Whether you agree with him or not, i think the idea that *no one cares they are leaving* is actually not true.

Vallo was a good example, he argued relentlessly for the players who care about PVP.
    Him letting people know he will no longer be doing this, is actually important to the people who care about this issue, but choose not to post about it.

I really think the idea that people that have been really involved with the community, active in game and discussion, *slipping off quietly* is counter - productive. If you dont want to / dont care about their reasons, then simply dont read the posts. I could care less about a lot of the threads on this forum, so i choose not to write on them.

And i would even argue that them being quiet about giving up on an expectation, then selling the account to someone with the expectations they HAD, is unethical.

If you dont care, then great. Dont read or reply to them.
    But personally, it sucks knowing some of the more vocal people about issues i actually do care about are done fighting for them, its kinda important towards if i think the development direction is going to meet these needs.

I also made a comment about new players making these posts being important as well. This led to them having to actually stop and look at the new player experiance, which was awful. Should the new players that didnt like it just stay quiet and never say anything? And only the people willing to praise the good things post? This doesnt lead to a good development.

Anyways, It sux to see players go. It sucks more to see vocal players go. It sucks the most to see vocal players that push for the issues in development that i actually care about gone. And others feel this way too. But that isnt saying that the people leaving didnt deserve to be moderated at one point or another. Just that it sucks

13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

If you don't believe @Berek ,maybe you should PM him instead off trying to drag him thru the mud in the forums. And if you don't know already, it is not up to Berek to share account information or issues with certain accounts due to privacy issues. Generally all companies,even gaming companies are the same way.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You could have pm'd blackghost instead of publicly shaming him as well.

Kaisa, Arc and Korim Rackham like this.
  15. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I don't see informing him of companies account policy as shaming him.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You are accusing him of dragging berek through the mud. If that is true then use the report button. Fitelotus informed me years ago its not our job to do moderation or defend portalarium. She told me to use the report button.

17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As we mention in the Rules & Guidelines, when moderation occurs, we usually don't call out who is moderated and why to protect those involved, unless there is a specific need to do so. Often times it's clear enough though what has occurred...

To be clear, it's not about how much you've pledged that decides our moderation policies. Pledging heavily doesn't mean instant immunity from moderation on one's actions in the community. The standing and view with other community members will tend to instead rise and falls based purely on one's conduct.

If you have any questions on moderation, you are free to message us, as always!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.