Performance increase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aiyarree, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Hi,
    just changed today from Cinnamon DE to Gnome 3 DE.
    And to me it looks like the performance had increased quiet a bit.

Have not expected any changes so i did not run tests or benchmarks of any kind. So i cant not nail it down.
    But perhaps by incident somebody can confirm or deny this behavior or has the opportunity to run side by side tests.

Especial because Mint comes primarily with Cinnamon this could be of interest for some guys.

CU in Novia :)

2. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I would like to try this! Running Ubuntu ATM, must find another drive (can't get VMs to use my Nvidia card), will report my findings.

3. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

(By the way, Windows/Mac users may be confused by this thread--the original poster is referring to the Linux client only)

I am also curious to know how GNOME 3 differs in performance, especially since Ubuntu is the only "official" Linux distro supported by SoTA and has stopped future development of their Unity desktop shell (not related to the Unity 3D engine of the same name). The next version of Ubuntu 17.10 this October will use GNOME 3 as its desktop shell and environment.

After Mark Shuttleworth's big announcement last April that GNOME would replace Unity8, I decided to get a head start and switched my SoTA PC over to Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 (not officially supported by SoTA yet) which is made by the same devs that are already members of the Ubuntu desktop team and are helping in this transition. I didn't perceive any difference in SoTA performance between Unity8 and GNOME 3, but it's possible a more careful test with metrics might show some differences. I am also curious whether there will be any performance improvements running SoTA on Wayland and turning on the Vulcan support.

Trihugger and Numa like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been using fedora 25 with gnome 3 on my notebook and I like it a lot. Everything seems smoother and more responsive than Ubuntu. I'm just waiting for the full-screen/no-click bug to get fixed before switching my gaming PC.

Numa likes this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'm still experimenting with both 14.04 and 16.04 Ubuntu and KUbuntu. The biggest improvement for me was upgrading to the latest NVidia drivers. Only played for a couple hours so far after the update however it's clearly an improvement. Still have a few more hours of gameplay to test out scenes. The most difficult for me has been Xenos. Very interested to see how it works out. Likely tonight I'll have some time :D

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Thank you; reading the OP made me think this was some sort of strange cooking recipe.

Spartus likes this.
  7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The difference might be down to compositor settings - if "undirect fullscreen windows" is on by default for Gnome 3 and off by default for Cinnamon then that would account for some difference in framerate (assuming you are playing in full screen).

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Note that the Nvidia proprietary driver does not work on Wayland, it requires X.

Spartus likes this.
  9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

So my ultimate test is running through Xenos. The updated release plus updated Nvidia drivers definitely improve my FPS. Still, when I reached downtown Xenos, it did drop to 8FPS for a few moments before shooting back up again to around 20. At the water front is was at 30 FPS. So definitely getting better guys :D

Stryker Sparhawk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.