Permissions for players and items

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Warrior B'Patrick, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

I have been trying to figure out how to make things usable by guest or residents of my POT. I think I have the permissions for players and items down pat but a permission of shared or RoomMate on items would make it much easier. I have written this up and would like the community to take a look at it and tell me if it is right or what I have wrong. I apologize for the length of it but there is a lot to consider. Almost as bad a network permissions on a company intranet. Thank you all that take the time to read and comment. Hopefully it will help others that are as confused as me. There are more permissions for POTs like Resident or Steward but those are easy to understand.

Player Permissions and How to Use Them

Players can be given permissions based on the settings below. If you want someone to share your lot and all items on it you could give them Kindred and have all items set for kindred. Giving someone Kindred permission to your lot and items does not give them Kindred permissions to any other lot or items. If you have multiple people you give permission to you could give one player Kindred and another player Trustee permission and set certain items to Trustee only. That way the player with kindred permissions could not access the items with Trustee permission on them. This can also be used to allow someone to use an item but not able to move it or take it based on the item permissions described in the next section.

No Permission - Can access public cache chest, Crafting Stations,
    Guest access - can open locked doors their name is on.
    Tenant - can store personal items anywhere on this lot or town
    Kindred - can add/remove items
    Trustee - Able to manage permissions for Kindred and Guest
    Co-Owner - Able to manage permissions for Trustees, Kindred, and Guest

Item Permissions and How to Secure Them

Items in game can have permissions set on them for access by different players permission level described above. Each item can also have multiple permissions settings for different things which allows you to set different Item Permissions to allow for different uses. For instance if you have a chest on your lot and you have 4 players sharing you space you could set the chest permission for “Container:Modify or Remove” to Trustee and only the players with Trustee or Co-Owner could Take or move the chest but players with Kindred permission could only add items to the chest. This works for Player owned vendors also. Set “Player Vendor:Listing Items” to Kindred and set “Remove or Modify Item” to Trustee or Co-Owner and all users of the lot/town.

“Make Items Private” (Not Private, Private), only the owner can access them
    “Remove or Modify Item” (Kindred, Trustee,Co-Owner) can move/take item or modify its settings or contents.
    “Container: Add item” (Kindred, Trustee,Co-Owner) Can add items to a container.
    “Container:Modify or Remove” (Kindred, Trustee,Co-Owner) Can take item or modify its settings or contents.
    “Player Vendor:Listing Items” (Kindred, Trustee,Co-Owner) Can list items for sale on a vendor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I can't verify the info as I have not tested what you have.

When it is verified, I suggest you or someone post it into http://sotawiki.net/sota/ -- Anyone can update information on SotAWiki (which is the intent).

The following page mentions Housing Permissions, but is old and does not have other pages about such permissions. http://sotawiki.net/sota/Housing

Thanks for the write-up!!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. kagong

kagong Avatar

I am still confused. I have a chest at a craft station in town. How do I make it possible for a friend to have access to it ? In other words how do I make him trustee?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I think you answered your own question but.... that's pretty much it.

Whoever you want to have permissions needs to be set to said access level.

If you want him to be a Trustee you need to make him one then make sure any chests door etc. you
    wish to give him access to have equal or lesser access permissions.

Hope that helps.

Laz

5. Freyr Grimr

Freyr Grimr Avatar

I have made my alt every single kind of access level, changed items to every single option, and my alt still cannot touch my planting beds... and i cannot touch hers when she places them... how do i change this?

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Kwabman Make your alt co-owner and he can do everything pretty much except take down the house and basement or she. I am co-owner on a few friends lots and I can most anything except as mentioned.

Jaesun likes this.
  7. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Is it your lot the crafting station is on? or a communal crafting station. If its not your lot, the lot owner has to add your friend to the chest, I believe.

8. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

This is a problem I have pointed out before. Containers on lots that are not your own but where you are the tenant cannot be shared with another person.

My husband and I share everything in SotA just as in RL. I got tenant access at a friend's property, he got the same. There is no option to make a tenant chest available to another person. Which is sad and would be a really great feature.

Risky workaround until this feature gets implemented (if ever): If you trust the property's owner very much, you could ask them to put you and your friend on the trustee level and only you, nobody else. Then only the property's owner, your friend, and you would have access to a chest that is set to trustee and not in tenant mode. Should the property's owner forget about that agreement and add a new person as trustee, they'll have access to the chest, too, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.