Petition for a deeper, better introduction to SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

eehhh... how did everyone forget about the moonstones ?

And sure, the ultima series speak of a SINGULAR Avatar which everyone roleplays, sure he had a stone circle somewhere in the woods behind his house.

you guys...

hroth likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

now well... everyone plays his own Avatar... so we have to get there somehow !

I did not say everyone is THE Avatar as RG has hinted many times.

I speak only for myself : I requested to pass on the torch, and was heard.

There will be a new "chosen one" as per the dirae prophecy, which I also find thrown together with bad grammar and choice of vocabulary :p

now why is the oracle repeating a prophecy from the obsidian eye peering into the looking glass we call destiny pool...

that is either a bad plot twist or really mysterious :p

Technically the oracle is ?

Answer those questions, the rest will follow naturally.

hroth likes this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

where not the titans of novia past avatars?

hroth likes this.
  4. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Yep comes in the mail. Ordered a Moongate from Amazon. Either that or we responded to the e-mail from the Saudi Prince to help get his money back.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It's the reverse Matrix where we are actually living on the outside and the Oracle uses it's technology (our computer screen portals) to transfer us inside. This would be before we become subjugated and rise up to leave. SotA E1 to E3 would actually make the original Matrix 4 to 6. Seems familiar.

hroth likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not exactly, they are immortals, such as the time lord of sosaria.

Story says their world relied too much on devices they acquired from other worlds and failed because they did not understand them, only a few were able to escape from the fall which is a multi-dimensional curse that trapped many worlds in limbo, as I've often *tried* to explain.

They came to novia and ruled for a long time due to their technological mastery, we aren't sure they still exist here. What we know is that they brought one of their machines they didn't understand here, and that its calling itself oracle, this oracle is repeating an obsidian prophecy and it seems the whole goal of the master plan is to find the "chosen one".

Good catch @Waxillium (Kvow) :)

EMPstrike and hroth like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Does this look familiar ?

[​IMG]

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Lets not derail toooo much please :)

This thread is an attempt to bring the devs attention to what i feel is a very important issue with the game.

I want the first thing a new player sees to fill them with wonder and anticipation. Like the old ultimas did.

Currently, i dont feel like the opening story fulfills the promise of a storyline that equals the likes of Ultima VII, the benchmark.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Choose your own adventure. Part way into intro, while you're still staring at your laptop and have found out some archaic knowledge, it says

"You decide to book a trip to pursue this further"

A map of the earth is next, with power places of the Earth as obvious buttons, Stonehenge, Giza, Machu Pichu, Mt. Shasta, Sedona, Machu Pichu, etc. You have to click one, and then you fly (doing something, demonstrating that you're more than just a lump on your laptop,) there and find the portal.

Verit, Cordelayne, Olthadir and 2 others like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*sings* but it wouldn't be make believe if you believed in me :D

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I think they are drawing inspiration from Ultima Online. "Here's the inn of Britain...cyaaaaaaaa" oh and good luck :p

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Cordelayne and Bubonic like this.
  14. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I had forgotten about the intro.. There are better ways to start an adventure. When I play SOTA I like to pretend that New Britannia doesn't just exist inside a computer. The intro isn't doing much to help honestly.

Bubonic likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I thought the intro implied you deciphered an ancient code that transported you to New Britannia

And it seems to fall in line with forbidden pre-cataclysm texts the titans were mentioned to posess

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They are from a different planet alltogether i believe, and are foreigners to new brittania

Numa likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It might just be that the intro is too cryptic since it seems to fall in line with specific details of a story that hasnt been experienced yet.

If a new person reads Sword of Midras before seeing the intro the whole bit about reading manuscripts of a pre-cataclysmic world of lost magic makes alot more sense.

As for the computer bit, thats more of a modern day take of finding and ancient spell scroll in a library

The fact that folks are getiing “we got sucked into a computer world” out of the intro just seems it needs to be clarified somehow. Maybe through a cutscene, actors, etc

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    majoria70 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Maybe add a bit more specific narrative? I do agree that it has a feeling of being 4 years old and could use some polish, if there's time, as it is the first introduction into the world. Maybe make the transition from sitting at the computer to becoming a ghost form a little more illustrative and complete feeling as well?

EMPstrike likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Maybe have a lightning strike and/or your form and world fade into a new world or something.

I agree showing the complete transition into the new world would help. Then when you do create a character you see its where the intro left off and feels more immersive

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I beleive thats what I said... I've been asking myself lately why people tend to answer to some of my posts but when I delve into lore people skip my posts then say the exact same thing I was advancing :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.