Petition keep Auto Attack...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I like auto-attack. They should keep it as an option. I quit playing Skyforge because my hand started going numb from all of the mouse button clicking. Yeah, I know, it sucks to get old. I would hope a game like SotA would be a bit more mindful of its aging audience and give us some options.

2. mercster

mercster Avatar

BUUUUUUURN HIM!

Jivalax Azon and Haz like this.
  3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

....a fair crop. *shrug*

that is a very good point..

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. Haz

Haz Avatar

@Olddog

You aren't one of the basement boys from way back in our Team Fortress days are you??

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Pinky and ring finger?

6. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

I tried free attack and didn't like it at all.

I returned to auto-attack immediately, and am not sure I'd keep playing without auto-attack.

Kendaric and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

Thanks majoria, now I can say that I know what free attack is, and just like Helseth. I shall never use it EVER again! It's a fun concept, but from a practicality point of view it isn't very effective. Glad autoattack is here to stay!! Now I wish auto-attack would actually automatically attack

Kendaric, Jivalax Azon and Pk u like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good news guys, they are keeping auto attack... we saved it!

Kendaric and Jivalax Azon like this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yknow, its funny. i wasn't fond of free attack in this current form and was compelled to use autoattack. i was missing every single time, so i just said 'the hell with it', went back to free attack, and simply got better at it. now that i've leveled up a bit, it is much better than it was at first. just took some getting used to.

now - it is all up to personal preference of course. i'd recommend at least trying free attack and getting at least SEVERAL levels up in it before making a decision if you like it or not. - those of you that have done so, enjoy autoattack!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

So this hole Auto attack thing..
    So far all i see is every one just saying it is nice for Screen shots and for taking videos? so can you give me a real good reason combat wise to make it worth keeping?

My 2 cents. So right now the state of the combat system, is very mixed and really clunky. So on one hand you have a simi Twitch combat where your use strafing and dubble tap rolls and jump backs. but you cant doge any thing.
    Then you have the hole tab target with auto attack in PVE Thats perfect. In PVP its got to be one way or the other. Other wise you have very huge imbalance and not to mention like it is right now if you wanted to play a pure tank build you will never get any single hits in. A. because you have to look strait at the target. B. you have to be in auto attack range. C. melee has no snare or any ways to draw a player to you unless you speck in several weapon types. There needs to be more utility if you are going to keep Auto attack. In all three combat styles.
    If you are going to keep Auto attack then you also need to rid of all twitch all together. like the rolls and jump back. By the way with auto attack you also have no reason to have tactical combat. You can just sit and face tank mobs because then it is no no longer skill its a attrition of who re-gens and who deals most dps as it is now..

If it was up to me and its not, I would love to see a more combat system like Warbands, or War of the roses. Something that requires skill and has abilities built in. Make players require to actually point where there ranged hits go give some balance for melee to at least stand a chance instead of being forced to have to use magic. Medium speed combat would allow the mages to run like hell if needed or nuke with tanks in front of them blocking the on coming. Right now there is no reason for group fighting other then to beat the attrition. HP pools thats it. it does get boring pretty quick is all i am saying.

any ways i am not against auto attack i am not i played uo and Asheron's call well i still play them both they are both installed on my pc till this day.. i am just saying it's the year 2015 should we try to at least have a combat system that is compelling,challenging,engaging, yet still can use the card system very easily.

Cheers i look forward to some answers to my first question. please don't take it as a stab at you guys i just genuinely want to know.

11. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Welllllll, for me, myself and I, I didn't have the reflexes of a fifteen year old when I was fifteen. At four times that I have even less. Making this a twitch game would be very disappointing to me. I tried Auto-attack off and quickly switched back. It wasn't for me. Keep in mind I don't PvP if that makes a difference.

Auto-attack off gives you the ability to make charged hits independent of the hot bar and you can time your swings (I assume that timing can make a difference, it does when the opponent hits my character). It also requires that you be facing your opponent to a close degree and be standing at pretty much the correct distance or your attacks do very little.

While I think I've seen Auto-attacks make some difference when the angle to your opponent isn't ideal, it's certainly not as severe as when Auto-attack is off. On the other hand, Auto-attacks do less damage overall. On the gripping hand, I can pay more attention to the hotbar and what my choices are with the hotbar. I'm also easily confused these days. Worrying about what my hotbar has available while trying to dodge attacks, while trying to determine what and when I will do next, while ... good thing I don't chew gum while I game!

So I prefer Auto-attacks and they work for me.

Edit: Oh yeah, as "Pk u" says, it breaks using the right and left mouse buttons for movement. I really like that for when I'm going from point A to point B.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Jivalax Azon likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Hammer

There's lots and lots of legit reasons u just gotta go back and read them.

For me and just a few.

1. Breaks mouse movement for people who use mouse.
    2. For twich gaming, I'll pass
    3. I like timing for auto attack
    4. It's not bind able into the glyph system.
    5. I got enough to watch as it is don't need nothin else.
    6. I don't think it fits with current game design.
    7. Skills are a better use of my time.
    8. Auto attack was uo,A spiritual successor should have it.

But I firmly support having both, everyone can find a playstyle they enjoy.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

well there is quite a few games that use the same combat system Sota has. One that does this fairly well is the The Secret World, also guild wars 1. they are both identical.
    The one thing that sota does different is you have the choice to let your abilities stack or have more then one hot bar in a timed manner.

I can agree that alot do like to use the mouse movement. i used it alot in SWG. I used the UO style ui in that game. I guess what i hope is they make up there mind and do away with all the twitch stuff or allow both full twitch and full auto attack set ups. how ever i can tell you now that in pvp auto attack would get wrecked by full twitch. maybe it would be a pvp only option. dono. guess we will have to wait see what they come up with.

Me, i like to do both pve and pvp and if they make either one to shallow its going to force those players to leave.

appreciate you guys replying. I have reread the thread and have read some other threads since i had originally posted. Both sides of the play style have very valid points.How ever tho its up to chris and star to figure out what they are going to do.I am sure they have figured it out. Just going to have to be patient to see how it goes by launch. I think its healthy tho to talk this stuff out and hopefully they read this and see our concerns and plan for updates or tweaks that can accommodate.

Beli likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The petition was to early.

The free attack was basically only a concept. Vs a auto attack system far more advanced.

If they would have had a tera ( free attack) version competing then this poll would have gone different.

Edit: changed poll to petition. Sorry

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There was no poll it was a.petition .

16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Thx. I changed it to make you feel better.
    We could now discuss if the wording petition is correct.
    I was not aware there is a law to change or that Portalarium is a government.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Someone in guild yesterday praised the virtues of MMO specific mice for free-attack + movement with mouse + skill mashing.

Namely, the Logitech G600 (which is the same class as Razer Naga or Trust GXT).

There's clearly an HMI problem with too many functions on too few devices.

Autoattack is the trivial solution, but the problem remains complex.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

My point was simple that this was just a way for people who liked auto attack and free attack as an option to let Portalarium know.

It was never a 1 or the other post though people tried to change the direction of the post.

Both options are great for diffrent play styles

And here is the definition of petition :

pe·ti·tion
    pəˈtiSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority with respect to a particular cause.

Notice the word authority and not your substituted word government.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Myrcello likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.