Petition keep Auto Attack...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That's the danger and the consequence of making this available to play so early. I believe on 1 hand they made a misteak doing so yet they have raised enough money to fund the game so there is that.

I don't like the card system and I hated the skill trees. They have improved the card system where I can work with it. And they went use based witch I'm very happy about. I still don't like all the instancing and pets should not dissappear when hoping from instance to instance to instance but that falls under the pre alpha tag I'm sure they will clean that up.

For the moment I'm trying to stop them from another huge misteak and that's removing auto attack..

#saveautoattack

Jivalax Azon, Olddog and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

And i try to stop them to listen in my oppinion to a giant misstake i think autoatack should go :) nothing against all that want that but gaming trend speaks against it and alle the plains that port have auto atack wouldn be great i dont say it has to go now but for the finished polished produkt i dont know if it has a place. or they go a complet different rout with the combat system but doesnt look like that way.

I would say lets all way what crhis and they others have planed for combat and give them enough time to show us what they have

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup u made ur point many many times already mabey u should make ur own tread kill auto attack.

Fortunately 96% of the population want both.

#saveautoattack

Jivalax Azon, helm and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

omg 96% from over 45K peaple arnt 40 peaple who might have posted here. and you dont get my point of my saying i dont know what chriss planes for the combat so i wait iam not going to start this demand threads wich are growing like moshrooms every where. There will be allways different peaple with different taste.

But shocking for me is the reason wy so many whant autoatack gone and at the same time not even under stand wy it have to go :) but have i n1 day in your thread

5. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

If they are getting rid of it, I'd at least hope they'd make free attack much more easier to use than it is now. Not just the getting it off the mouse part either.

Currently, as it stands, it makes it difficult to manage with the whack-a-mole deck system I like to play with. All I ended up doing was watching the bar and swing, trying to figure out if was in range, and forget about trying to fire off any glyphes let alone combos. I'm sure others that like the free attack don't have that problem and maybe in time, I'll get used to it and could fire it off too. But the way it is now certainly make its incredible difficult to manage both - at least for me.

On the other hand, if they're going to throw out the glyph system and just go to a twitch-based system, I could live with the free attacks, probably. Weirdly enough. :rolleyes:

Pk u likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Or offer both and everyone but Edward will be happy.

7. Juzzie

Juzzie Avatar

#saveautoattack

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

/signed. Auto-attach option adds choice, and choice is always better.

9. helm

helm Avatar

Signed. In addition to everything already said here, I think there are a couple of things to consider.
    First I want to note that there are actually two relevant types of focus; in-game focus and real-life focus. I like fast-paced action games, I like strategy games, I like role-playing games. The real-life focus requirements of these types differ greatly from each other. When the real-life focus requirements exceed the rewards, the game becomes tedious and boring.

I use auto attack almost exclusively, but I have tested free attack occasionally, to see if there has been any improvement. So far there hasn't. When using free attack, SotA makes me spend a considerable amount of real-life attention even when I encounter a pack of ordinary grey wolves. Really? And in harder combat situations with tougher NPC enemies, even with auto attack the game mechanics are stealing more real-life focus than a fast FPS game with narrative elements (meaning NPC opponents, I'm not talking about CS:GO type games here) at hardest level could. It's not the difficulty of combat per se; it's rather that the user interface makes it hard to do what I want to do. I want to focus on strategy, roleplay, what I have at hand, how to make best use of what I have. The game forces me to focus more on finger acrobatics instead.

For instance, as an archer, I want to move forward and backward and while doing either, I want to make varying kinds twists and turns at will. So far the only possible way of achieving anything even resembling this (with a "normal" keyboard+mouse combination, perhaps I should invest in a game controller? :p) is to use auto attack, moving with the w+s keys, combining them with a+d occasionally but mostly performing the (more intense) turns and twists with the mouse. At the same time I should be able to manage and use the combat deck -- already tough enough when your other hand is glued to the mouse and the other to the wasd keys -- I typically manage the deck with the mouse, using those seconds when I don't need to make a tight twist, the kind which is ONLY possible using a mouse (the easier turns I can make with the wasd keys, and you can't move backwards using only a mouse). With my left hand I can reach the the number keys 1-4, but not if I'm retreating by going backwards (try it -- reaching any number key while pressing the s key). So mouse it is for managing the deck too. Ironically, CS:GO shooting range fast-aiming target practice is exactly the kind of skill that I need here -- only here you "aim" at the glyphs instead of small target dots.

A free attack just adds another layer of user interface difficulty on top of all this, effectively mostly eliminating the use of normal attacks for archers. Autoattack is not perfect either, but before the issues with free attack are fixed, I would consider it very risky removing it.

EDIT - just fix a couple of typos

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Smart post man I agree with it on many points.

11. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Please keep auto-attack.

12. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

I am an older player I hate to say it because I'm sure people will flame me for playing games.

I played ultima on line as an older player as well. I've tried this free attack and it's not for me it feels like an action game not an rpg.

I wanted a uo successor not an action game. Leave both just do it the right thing to do. Then people can play with the style that they enjoy it's not hard math just look at all the overwhelming support for it. Unbelievable really it is.

13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Keep auto attack in, or least keep it as an option.

14. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

Is it possible to re-assign the manual attack to key other than left mouse click?

If I could use spacebar or something near AWSD, then that's not too bad. But my mouse is for movement and user interface, not combat. With auto attack being bugged for pvp, I've been screwing around with manual attack and don't find it completely detestable.

It's just that left click's a deal breaker.

15. Ember

Ember Avatar

/signed +1 #saveautoattack

I do like the Free Attack, but having it as left click isn't at all optimal.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Austin, how about it ?

17. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

As I have been playing around with it since this discussion started, I really think what I want is not auto-attack, but auto-target. I would be fine with a bindable key that would charge an attack to a variable strength. What I could not stand is trying to swing my view around wildly while trying to target and attack. Without some form of auto-target (provided by current auto-attack) the game is unplayable for me. I suspect some of those with mobility restrictions would feel the same way. So if auto-attack was taken away and we had something that compensates and allows everyone to play, fine. But since I think the concern over auto-attack is mostly the auto-target feature, this would not likely resolve the issue for those who want to do away with it.

The simple solution is: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Keep auto-attack.

18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I tried free attack once.

Worst ten minutes of my SotA experience. Especially when you have to SURGICALLY move in range of your target, or you won't hit it.

#saveautoattack

And while at it, auto-engage auto attack without an explicit command when:

1) I use any aggressive skill/spell on my target. If I casted Death Touch on that wolf, maybe I want my avatar to also swing her weapons?

2) My target attacks and hits me. It can interrupt me if I'm harvesting, it can make me enter combat, it can damage me... And my character won't retaliate already??? Are you kidding me?

19. crydee

crydee Avatar

I don't even know what free attack is

Jivalax Azon and Leostemplar like this.
  20. mercster

mercster Avatar

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

For those who did not see the Dev Hangout for Sept. 10th 2015...

AUTO-ATTACK IS SAVED!

Despite Chris's best efforts, he revealed during the hang-out that Starr Long had won the day, and that auto-attack will remain in the game!

Great job, all! And THANKS DARKSTARR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.