Petition keep Auto Attack...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If you turn off auto attack in your options you will know definitely know what 'free attack' is especially if you play a warrior. Just make sure you get out of combat in between battles so you can walk since your mouse will free attack unless you use the 'w' key to walk that is.;)

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It has been announced on the Dev hangout which just got over that auto attack is not going away

3. Albus

Albus Avatar

I'm still hoping that free attack can be improved to lure more of us over to use it, even so. I've tried both, and find that I get more mileage (more damage overall without messing up my use of glyphs) with auto attack, so I've been using that because in effect I find it "more powerful" (I win more fights with it) - but I'd love to go back to free attack, it is more satisfying in the sense of "controlling" all your attacks, but just isn't as effective overall IMO, not when it makes me fumble my glyphs, or if I focus on my glyphs I end up not getting in enough free attacks to make up for the missed autoattacks I'd have had with autoattack on.

"Saving" auto attack was probably the right move, I'm especially convinced by players who use it for reason of physical limitations, but I want to see free attack improved so I can use it (I find it more fun) without feeling I am gimping myself (botching glyphs or failing to use my free attacks for focusing on glyphs to get them right).

Thanks to all the team for working so hard to make all this stuff better and fun for all :)

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I love free attack. It adds so much to the game. I HATE WoW-like hotbar combat and auto attacks!
    I am the hero in the game. I am not some invisible commander who just gives commands to a puppet. But auto-attack and clicking on some icons reduces us to just that - invisible players who issue commands. But I want to get the feeling of really being the hero, of being in command of my own actions. I want to swing my sword in combat actively and not just give commands and watch how a puppet carries them out.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Free attack is more fun but screwed as long as its bound to the left mouse button and hinder simultaneous mouse movement.

Albus likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Auto-attack saved

**** thank you devs ****

Logain, Leostemplar and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I was really surprised by the decision to keep auto-attack. It's a horrible mechanic that unbalances PVP and makes it much easier for people to macro with. I'm really disappointed with this decision. I also feel as though if we're going to keep aut0-attack we'd be better off removing free-attack because at least then everyone's on the same playing field.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If ur speaking pvp wise mouse movers will always have an huge advatage over wasd movers. Twich gamers will be better at free attack than the everyday free attacker. With that stuff said free attack looks cooler everytime I try it I feel like it should be the first skill in every combat tree. Auto attack should just be a minor attack in every encounter your skills should be powered where thier the obvious choice.

As far as using it to macro, just make it not eligible for gains to anything.

9. Albus

Albus Avatar

If at least a powered free attack was clearly better than multiple instantly exectuted auto attacks, such would help free attack's case some at least, if not as a replacement for everyone.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

But your skills are more powerful and it's the big reason why I don't get free attack. I'd rather use that time to drop a skill on my bar. Heck 1 free attack can cost 2 or 3 skills off my bar.

Logain, Jivalax Azon and Albus like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Auto-attack used to interrupt spells like crazy, I'm not sure if that's still happening, but WOW did that make it OP in PVP. Auto-attack eats my soul.

Albus likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It should not interrupt spells or be eligible to raise your passives. But those things can be adjusted easily.

Albus likes this.
  13. Albus

Albus Avatar

That's the thing I found at well in trying to use it, for the time/coordination and effort involved, it was not enough bang for the buck compared to auto attack to use; Sure a powered up free attack will sometimes put a big hit out, but compared to multiple autoattacks requiring no effort, not so much, coupled with how (for me at least) I just found it getting in the way of using my glyphs efficiently. Some have suggested ability to map free attack onto another button which could help, though I still think in a "power gamer" sense, the auto attack will still be the "wise" (if less fun) choice relative to free attack. Some of that may just me my own fumbling with mouse clicks, using arrows to move (since mouse movement is prevented with free attack), and just fumbling glyphs by finger or mind while trying to focus on controlling the free attack at the same time, but bottom line effect, I found myself doing more damage with the auto attack than the free attack. That not counting any interrupting effects of the free attack, I'd not really paid attention to that aspect.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good points, but I like the challenge of timing my auto attacks with my movement. You cannot do that with free attack since your required to stand there and power up. I find free looks cool but does not suit my playstyle. I'm sure they will find a ballance everyone will be happy with.

Alot of people love auto attack and I'm one of them.

Albus and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

Funny how in R20, discovering the Free-Attack mode was the one thing that encouraged me to upgrade my pledge from $50 to $300 because I, then, knew that the game had some fun gameplay buried somewhere.

Sure, it needs work and it probably needs to deal more damage to be in line with the Auto-Attack, but it's much more engaging. Remove the delay between holding down the mouse and when it actually starts to charge up and you'll have a much more responsive system.

As for those who'd rather activate skills, that depends on your load out; I consider those abilities to be supplements to my swings.

Albus and majoria70 like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That's the cool thing about keeping both. Everyone wins... woot

Albus, mercster and Jivalax Azon like this.
  17. mercster

mercster Avatar

That's fine, but other people don't feel that way.

What about harvesting stuff, like trees? I don't have to swing my axe, I don't have to move my mouse around to realistically simulate cutting down a tree, or harvesting any other node. I double click and my avatar harvests the node. That is essentially being "some invisible commander who just gives commands to a puppet".

I appreciate your sentiment, but remember, this game is not called "Reality Online" ;). Sometimes "reality" must give way to "fun". You're welcome to use free attack if that's what you enjoy.

Logain, Ancev, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sure hacking away at a tree with an axe or at a rock with a pickaxe would be more interesting - just like in Minecraft.

Is watching the Avatar doing something really more fun than doing it yourself? Watching the hero swing a sword or swing it yourself - even if it is just by clicking a mousebutton. I think "doing things" are more essential for a game than "watching things getting done". But this is just my opinion.

19. mercster

mercster Avatar

But there has to be a line drawn somewhere, surely you see that. I use mouse buttons or the keyboard to make my avatar walk. Should SotA ship with a special treadmill USB peripheral that requires one to actually physically take steps to move inside the game? This is of course an extreme example, but it's a useful way of bounds testing a concept.

Pk u and Katrina Bekers like this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It is not even coherent. We push a button and the Avatar moves which I think is an active action. The same as pushing a button for the Avatar to swing a weapon.
    But what we have is: we can walk actively but we fight passively. So during combat I get detached from my hero to become an observer and commander.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.