PETITION/POLL: Please Portalarium put a hard cap on sales of Player Owned Towns

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Spoon, Jul 15, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes put in a hard cap @250

88 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Yes put in a hard cap @275

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Yes put in a hard cap @300

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. No cap is necessary, the more the merrier.

26 vote(s)
    19.3%
  5. Who cares?

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

If we want PoTs to be as important to the story as other towns, they need to be limited to allow time to develop them into the game before launch. If no limits are set and they keep growing, then there will be no limit to player housing. If there are not to be limits, and they can no longer be reached via the overworld map, then they may as well be instanced to save time and performance. (That's not how this game is doing it, which is why this update is raising flags)

I'm all for expanding the size of the map, by scaling the hexes, but that creates more work for the Development, and it can't keep getting scaled, or completing the game will become a never-ending quest.

All this whale/victim/entitled/ego nonsense has nothing to do with me. My concern is for the game. And I'm having trouble seeing how filling up the map with towns that can't be developed, full of houses that are under the control of players, so I wouldn't even think to try and live there, and even more towns that won't even be on the map, but hidden in instances within instances, towns which are likely unrelated to story elements in the game, will make it better.

Maybe it'll be fine. It's late and I'm probably over-reacting. ;) My first impression is that this is troublesome..

Vyrin, smack and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The number of open plots in the world doesn't matter if the deeds necessary to claim that land are controlled.

Vyrin, cartodude, Xandra7 and 4 others like this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Miracle, I totally agree with you. One of the main selling points that was used to push higher pledge rates was the fact that having your own lot was a relatively limited and rare thing.

Now, it appears that you won't be able to even get lost in the forest without being a stone's throw away from someone's half empty POT. This is definitely not what we were told. It almost appears as if there will be more POTs on the map than wilderness hexes.

Vyrin, Katrina Bekers, smack and 3 others like this.
  4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I disagree, it totally matters. Allowing loads of lots but not selling deeds will result in a plethora of ghost towns. No one wants that.

Vyrin, Katrina Bekers, smack and 2 others like this.
  5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

They've already said they're going to control how many deeds are in the world, and how often they introduce more.
    There is already going to be a plethora of ghost towns.
    As I said above, I believe many of the towns are not meant to be populated by more than just the owner.
    They are intentional ghost towns.
    I don't think you can say no one wants that.
    I certainly do, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly......PoT's will be obtainable in game with gold anyways, I don't see why limit them, what's the point? Of course they will have to pay a rental fee for their scene but still, it's possible to obtain them with in game gold.

"There will be a path to achieve this in game via in game gold purchase but the ownership of the scene will incur a rental fee"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Jivalax Azon and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Seems like more than enough POTs for Episode 1. Maybe sell POTs for Episode 2 after Episode 1 launches.

8. Curt

Curt Avatar

On a map the size of the hidden vale i would say the limit on visible POTs should be 10 or less

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Or a small bunch of family / friends / guildies.
    However those are almost exclusively holdfasts.

10. Benn289

Benn289 Avatar

At least Novia holds a strong foundation for a 'Parade of Homes'!

Joking aside I agree. When I look at the map @Ashlynn [Pax] threw together, it sort of makes me claustrophobic.

When you say, 'don't cover up all the natural corners of the map that make exploration special', I don't think this part can be stressed enough.

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

All crowdfunded games have exclusive and rare items, and SOTA is hardly the pioneer in this space with plenty of examples that preceed it. If this was a game given a 50 million dollar budget then there would be less of these items. However, I have yet to play any game that does not have rare, limited, exclusive or otherwise restricted items. Heck many games have exclusive items you can only get by buying the game with a certain retailer. I don't see how any of this will hurt the game, and there are enough other things which have a higher level of risk to them.

12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Austin, we have a problem.

13. Jade

Jade Avatar

I read an article that stated that the Devs expected to sell about 20 towns! We now multiplied that number by over 100. I would say that we have enough!

benn289 likes this.
  14. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Well turning down money is silly, and as long as people want to plop down $900+ for honor of owning a land-rush free entity, why wouldn't they? They are now going to have a tool for lot placement and decoration, and by including a number of biome templates, its really a no brainier - very little work now for major cash gain.

Also with their planned Map Icon logic (not showing initially, then the more Town Achievements you get the better/more noticeable your icon is... Icon Animation for Live Activity.

The Ghost Towns and Private Maps will be invisible to most. It's only the major handful of successful PoT's which will be shown and highlighted.

edit: I wouldn't even be surprised if they have a game option which states "Don't Show me Enter Button for towns without Icons" i.e. Ghost/Private.

15. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

*IF* every PoT sold (Based on 230) was only using village lots, we'd have room for about ~ 9,000 village lots in addition to what the Devs are providing public. Heck, even if every PoT went Row only, you are still only up at about 40,000 available lots.

The website says we have about 54k backers and that does not count Steam sales. How many of those do we think we have?

How many players will we have once the game releases?

I guess even doing some quick and dirty math from the numbers last May, we have about 3600 players who PLEDGED housing. Add in about 20% and some for the Add-on lots, lets just say 5,000 lots is what the Devs will place in NPC towns.

So a possible ~45,000 available lots to a game that can easily sell a couple hundred thousand copies? Heck even if it only sold 100,000 over Half the players would still not have a place to place a house - AND there is no way those PoT's would be configured as all Row Housing... Maybe we're looking at 15-20k total available lots on release?

You can't even satisfy the current game population on that, let alone what will eventually be sold. I think even with nested towns there will be cries of nowhere to place a house come release.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

When i bought mine i was under the impression that the cutoff number was going to be waaaay lower. I was hoping more for an announcement saying there would be no more sold at all.

17. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Soon To Come POD(Player owned Dungeon) , Add On for POT...You heard it here first LOL, its evolving...

18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

If they make these like Dungeon Keeper and not POT add on then I might have to sell some children to get one. :)

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

If it were dungeons like we had in UO where they were large, dangerous, and had multiple levels where there were people aloud to go in and out freely without having to be in your party, sure I'd buy that. The small , boring, solo/parties dungeons we have right now in SoTA, no thank you. I miss the UO style dungeons. :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  20. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Sounds like a desperate mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.