Petition tochange the dual-scale map in Shroud of the Avatar to a monoscale map

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoMbY

BoMbY Avatar

In general I like the idea, but it could also be somewhat immersion breaking. The use should definitely be restricted, like when being in combat for example.

What I would like to know is, if I could walk through the entire world without using this quicktravel map (and without loading screens)?

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the dual-scale map. However if they build in a feature to allow us to move to the next hex (while zoomed into your current hex) then we can have both dual-scale and a type of contiguous zoomed in world.

By-Tor and DavenRock like this.
  3. Urganite

Urganite Avatar

I'm sure there will be plenty of area to explore, whether most hexes are small or not. I never really took issue with the dual-scale map, I really just care about how it affects economic niches.

DavenRock likes this.
  4. nightowl2

nightowl2 Avatar

If you are worried that dual scale will shrink the world and kill the adventure, listen to the first minute and a half of this.
    It's gonna be friggin' awesome kids.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

Without playing the game and seeing how it feels in action it is hard to say.

I for one like the idea of the dual-scale map, and its use as a shard transition makes sense (and seems like a core concept at the moment).
    I can also see where it would streamline the addition of new content to the game, as Devs can create their content as a zone and just drop it into the world map hex.

I understand where people are coming from, it is quite different from most things you see today. Unfortunately we are just going to have to trust the Devs and wait for the Alpha to try it ourselves.

6. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

I'll add my vote in favor of keeping the dual-scale map, not that it is really necessary though since Garriott has already stated that this aspect of the game is pretty much non-negotiable.

7. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Keep the 2-scale map! Let RG and the Dev's get it working before you criticize it.

8. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I don't even know why this is a debate. They are doing the dual scale map. Get over it those who are still complaining.

By-Tor and licemeat like this.
  9. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

In my opinion there is -nothing- better then a monoscale map.

But - if RG has a vision here, I am going to trust him with it. There are undeniably advantages when using a dual-scale map. Let's hope chapters are complex, well intertwined entities and not just stand-alone maps with a number of achievements in them.

The early Bioware RPGs kinda also used them and it would even have been possible to divide the famous UVII into disjunct areas, I think. But in these 'examples' areas have strong connections between them.

10. smack

smack Avatar

You know, I would also love a fully built out, richly detailed, monoscale map like Oblivion or Skyrim. But given the budget isn't $85M like for those games, I'm perfectly satisfied with dual scale -- especially for all the benefits it brings (go see Chris' talk on it!).

While the immersive experience of exploring and travelling won't be fully realized, I believe they will accomplish it to some degree, with scene to scene connections. Even the entire underworld catacombs will most likely be a series of connected scenes, without ever requiring you to drop back out into an "overland" map, or in this case "underworld" map. And to a limited degree, we might even see some of that for overland scenes, where some may be interconnected as well.

11. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

i agree with OP

12. Talantyyr

Talantyyr Avatar

I also don't like this dual map idea... i'm sure they won't change it, so let's hope it won't screw up the game.

I really loved UO, that's why i have backed SoTA, though i really think that dual map system doesn't fit to that kind of game.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@talantyr I'm pretty sure a dual scale map fits an Ultima style game, not sure why, but I think it does;)

14. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Talantyyr : The dual scale map has been discussed in some of the Dev Chats. I recommend reviewing them to understand the advantages.

I know it makes it easier for them to add and change content (Events etc).

From what I've seen and heard about it, I prefer the Dual-Scale approach.

Dom also did a nice youtube video about dual scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFwjendP2IU

By-Tor, DavenRock and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  15. G Din

G Din Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=open-world-mmo-vs-dual-scale-mo

Post by Francis talking about it vs open world as well.

DavenRock and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  16. kahdmus

kahdmus Avatar

Signed. To those who agree with the OP but have stated that you wont sign, I humbly request that you rethink that decision and take the 30 seconds or so required to do so.

This is the only issue I have with the entire game. It just seems so not...well, Ultima-like, to have a duel map. Please put the immersion back!!!!

17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Wow, this is an ancient thread. Threads this old really should be locked down for archival purposes.

I'm pretty sure ditching the dual scale map is no where in their sights for consideration at the moment. They've already said why they chose this method over the others. Like it or not, you still haven't played a demo so truly no one can say they don't like SotA's dual scale map. RG has yet to let me down with one of his games...I trust that SotA will be the same. Which is why I'm here supporting it.

By-Tor likes this.
  18. Borg

Borg Avatar

As many people said before I think it would be easy implementing ways to travel from one scene (hex) to the neighbour hexes, that would be very close to an open world, I mean there is no really need to exit one hex to the map just to get into the next hex it would be quite unnecesary, but if you want to travel around the world then you can go to the map view. The only problem I see is scene loading time. If they find a way to maybe preload neighbour hexes or just reduce the loading time to a few secconds that would be great. That way people would be free to decide go onto 2 scale world or not. !And!! who knows? maybe in the future they find a way cross hexes boundaries in a seamless way......

19. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

Um... what? By my count the majority of the numbered Ultima games were dual scale. You may as well complain that a Final Fantasy game has crystals or that a Sonic game is side-scrolling.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Old School Dual Scale Map Is Going To Be Awesome. Don't Knock It Until You've Tried It.

Koldar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.