Pets should not count towards NPC Lot Limits

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Glantor Edge, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

I would like to propose that all non-humanoid, player owned NPC pets should have a separate limit and not be bundled together with vendors, servants, automatons and maybe the magic mirror. Basically, any pet you can't hold a decent conversation with.

Currently the NPC Limits according to Lot size are:
    Row: 1
    Village: 2
    Town: 3
    City: 4
    Keep: 5
    Castle: 6

Perhaps we can have a similar NPC limit for these non-humanoid pets, such as:
    Row: 2
    Village: 3
    Town: 4
    City: 5
    Keep: 6
    Castle: 7

I believe the system is robust enough to handle that many pets roaming around. A prime example would be the "crazy cat lady" Felicia Purdue in Aerie. Check out the number of cats roaming around her house! We really should be able to do that as well!

Perhaps to reduce the lag, pets could have a "roaming area" where if there are more than 2 pets in a spot, the NPC will not be placeable unless sufficiently far away.

There are simply too many pets we can own and not enough space to put them down for display. It will also help to breathe more life into the towns. Thank you for taking the time to consider this proposal.

Cheers,
    Glantor Edge

Numa, fIreSpHere, Tamsen and 2 others like this.
  2. dejunai

dejunai Avatar

Necro +1

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Hey, the undead are popping up all over the place in game, why not on the forums? :) And I was just reading a bunch of other older threads talking about the NPC limits, came over to post a question asking for an update on where this issue was. So I would have brought it up again anyway.

I don't see a benefit in separating pets from vendors, but I do think the row limit should be raised to 2. Having a vendor downstairs and a pet upstairs, or a pet downstairs and a servant upstairs, or a cash register and a humanoid vendor "manning" it... I REALLY want that. Not to mention whatever happens with the programmable NPCs on the way, you know all of us with row lots will want to take advantage of that too. Heck, in my mind I've got multiple row lots just to house NPC supporting characters.

So... the reason for the limits was performance, but that's improved a lot over the past six months. And now they're working on mannequins, and programmable NPCs, and giving everyone dogs just for logging in, and those dogs need a lot to be placed on. So have the devs said anything lately to give us hope for raising these limits?

4. dejunai

dejunai Avatar

well i strongly agree with the original poster.... i don't actually want to be a "cat lady"... but i think the option should be available... pets aren't npcs.... and two house cats, isn't a big ask... two house cats and a vendor, shouldn't be either... but i do think they should be separate things... vendors/servants != pets. And there are way way way too many pets available in game to have, and clearly not enuf ways/places to put them,

5. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

As another possibility I guess the devs could adjust the prices for all NPC to be not 1 and instead define a variety of values depending on the NPC systems footprint.
    This could be quite similar to the solution they made for mannequins and it might be reasonable to extend this mechanic to the other decorations and the NPCs.
    E.g. a vendor has a 10 NPC value, a cat might have a 5 NPC value, a foal a 8 NPC value,…
    The row lot has a maximum NPC value of 10, the village lot of 20,...
    The summary has to be below or at the lots maximum but in this example you could place two Cats with a footprint of 5 on a row lot as the summary of 10 would fit on the row.
    Nevertheless I think too that a raise for the NPC limits might be appropriate. ;)

6. dejunai

dejunai Avatar

I could strongly get behind this kind of idea.

7. Bryce Pallaton

Bryce Pallaton Avatar

I'd really rather pets and target dummies were not NPCs at all. Mannequins are not NPCs (could you imagine the uprising if they were?), and they are far more resource intensive. Make pets and target dummies normal deco, please. Like mannequins, they could take up multiple slots if their resource use is high.

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Id love this as well @Chris

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And one day, they will make it so I can put stray cats all over town? The chorus of meows will be deafening. #hopeful

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

maybe a few one-eared, scarred models?

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

[​IMG]

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I'm all in if we can also get AOE emotes. Can you imagine if we had an "emote storm" where each cat gets a random emote hit. It would have to be in the Chaos tree for sure.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.