1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Physical Goods Address Verification Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Serafina, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Greetings Avatars!

The address verification system we’ve had in place on the account page is not working the way we intended. With that in mind, we’ve decided to remove the verification system. This will probably be removed next week.

If your address is currently in a confirmed state, our work will not unconfirm your address, but simply remove the verification state.

As we expect to ship physical goods with Phase 2 later in Q4, there is nothing you need to do right now with your address. More information will be coming next week as we complete the work.

We will extend the Oct 19 deadline by two weeks to November 2.

Thank you for you continued patience!

tphilipp, languard, Gaelis and 11 others like this.
  2. Sonja

Sonja Avatar

What deadline has been extended to November 2? I didn't know there was a deadline for anything.

Edit: Found it.

Any critical deadlines should probably be sent out in a specific email solely focused on such deadlines. I doubt most people have the time to comb through forum posts. Are there any other deadlines?

Luckily, I just happened to stop by today!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Ragewind, Verit, Jens_T and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

In fairness this is included as a clear topic in the weekly newsletter. They can’t just start mass mailing for all pertinent news everytime. That would just get them in bother for spam.

4. Sonja

Sonja Avatar

Disagreed!

Physical rewards are a one-time very important thing to most, which they have been waiting to receive for years, and if there is some sort of deadline created by problems on Portalarium's end shipping them, then people need to be specifically notified!

I receive the newsletters, but the newsletters are long and I don't have the time to read them, nor the time to click on all their links for more information. The only way I found out about the failures to ship and the deadline was just by chance happening to stop by and browse through several announcements today.

An example of how deeply buried this issue is in the newsletter:

#1 Title of Newsletter gives no hint: Shroud of the Avatar - Signed Box Sale, Lava Fish, Scaling & Trophy Stream Today - Update #301

#2 Newsletter merely mentions, "Physical Goods Address Verification Update," to those that have already verified their address and are waiting for their shipment, this does not specify there is a problem. Further, it is buried on page two of the newsletter:

[​IMG]

#3 Clicking on the "Read more..." link still does not result in informing anyone there is an issue or deadline, with the same very innocuous title of "Physical Goods Address Verification Update"

[​IMG]

#4 Finally, clicking on that second link we find out that there actually is a problem and a deadline, reading far down the page!

[​IMG]

#5 Even then, the problem is not specified, only that there is some sort of undescribed deadline that has been extended!

Ragewind, Birko, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  5. Rotrap

Rotrap Avatar

Indeed, I still don't know what the deadline is for or from.

I know I have not gotten any physical goods yet, nor did a friend of mine I recently chatted with, I still need to figure out if I got all my ingame items also as I think some may be missing. He and I have just been expecting the boxes to arrive at some point and that to sort of let us know the game has shipped. The emails long ago stopped coming to me, and he said he stopped reading them as they were mostly selling fluff items. Sonja is spot on, the people here and the devs are too close to it to realize how posting here and even some lines in a newsletter long since likely to goto spam are not enough to reasonably inform on this.

Due to the long length of time that has passed I guess the addresses on file got deleted somehow. I fully expected them to still have it from the paypal purchases I made in 2014. My friend fully expected them to have it from the kickstarter. We both had completely empty address fields on the website. Did those addresses get deleted somehow? I can see worrying about them still being up to date. I do think a postcard or other mailing with a change of address request should go out then. Would be good marketing.

If the attempt at address validation was to get a more normalized form of the addresses for shipping labels and maybe presorting and such, I had decent luck in the past with the perl module Lingua::EN::AddressParse when I had to work with addresses from a county supplied list that was in horrible shape formatting wise for a non-profit cause that had no budget to pay for the services for it. Out of the thousand of addresses on the list it only failed to parse ten of them.

MrBlight, K1000, Verit and 2 others like this.
  6. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.