Pickpocket Nerf

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kinkara, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Upon entering the game after the patch yesterday I was shocked to see my deck no longer had pickpocket cards in it. When I to go see what was up, I realized pickpockets no longer has cards that you can stack in a deck WTF????? There was nothing anywhere on the notes about pick pockets being messed with. Now, as a Grandmaster Pickpocket, my only GM skill is completely worthless. We are left with using the skill OUTSIDE OF COMBAT, and only 1 card. The skill tree says I should have 5 cards to draw from, but I seem to be stuck with only 1 card that is CD. As it stands now, lvl 1 pickpockets is = to GM pickpockets. You guys really screwed the pooch on this one. After that patch, you have completely removed all thieves from the game, as no one is going to want to use the skill once, every 2 min, to snag 12 arrows from there victim. If it should stay the way it is now, we should at least have to option of CHOOSING which items we want to steal. Another thing i would like to bring up, is now pickpockets is the only action skill not allowed to be used in a deck. Why not make Chain Lightning or earthquake only usable outside combat? Because it makes no sense to have any action skill limited in this way. @Berek @Chris @Attenwood I would like some input if it plans to stay this way.
    #trammel #safespacesforsnowflakes

EDDYCORP, Tracker, jammaplaya and 7 others like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

could be a bug... every release creates new bugs for them to squash... lol ^^

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

#workingbydesign

Womby and Net like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

This was an intended change. I read about it somewhere. (Maybe discord)

I think the counter to this is to allow us to pickpocket NPCs: Guards, Shopkeepers, etc even in PvE zones. Take it out of a purely Player-victim-required skill.

NPCs have pockets. I've seen them.

5. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I cant even log into this game. Atos, your supporting of AFKS is not helping the Pick Pocket System. The amount of influence an AFKer can have on the game is strong.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

But you still can pickpocket afker, right? As long as he flagged for PvP or in PvP zone.

7. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

I don't think its working as intended if lvl 1 pickpockets is = to GM. What im betting has happened, is enough people have complained about being victims of theft, ( I guess I'm too good at what I do), to the degree that there are the mass majority and their complaints have been addressed. Comming from the Makers of UO, I'm shocked that they gimped player stealing in this manner. All I have been doing the past 5 months is running around stealing from people because I love that this game had that to offer. I don't really care to kill monsters/creatures to gain exp. So now my gameplay has been shutdown. The thing about this arugement is, if your not a thief then you are going to LOVE this fix, because it has effectively removed the theif class from pvp, which was a PVP only skill to begin with. the reward for the skill has been buried.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, they can still pick pockets of anyone flagged.

They just can't pick everything from them quickly. It's much slower to pick multiple items now.

Womby and Net like this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

According to patchnotes
    As for people complaining, I remember the other thread where devs admitted some things did not work quite as they should or were intended to.

Womby and Solazur like this.
  10. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I spoke Directly to Atos and he said in the lines of "I'm concerned for the person who has to go afk unexpectedly, because of kids or rl issues"

They can press EXIT! @Atos Rivenwood I have kids too and i'm always in PVP mode. When my girl screams her head off I press Exit.

chuck5086, Applerust and Adam Crow like this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

You know, it is probably for different threa,d but I think that people who are really afk (for whatever reason) and do not run a macro should die only once or be stolen from only once. There is not much challenge in steeling from afk person. The game could just log them out after they are attacked or stolen from if they do not take another action... It would not be that different from the case when they actually do log out.

Seriously, I do not think that the thieving is designed or intended to be used on people who had to go afk. I agree afk should not be much of an excuse, but at the same time the fact someone is afk should not be abused.

Womby and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Or just don't flag PVP if they want to stay afk in game instead of logging out.

13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This is surprising.. and nothing was mentioned anywhere regarding this very large change... I hope this is a bug. @DarkStarr you didn't mention anything about this..........

MrBlight and Kinkara like this.
  14. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

As it stands now, they should just add snooping and let us pick the item. Just checked since a new small patch, my cooldown is 1 min 10 sec now instead of the 2 min yesterday, but i only have 1 card to use, and the skill tooltip says i should have 5 uses of the skill, that should be on independent CD's.

chuck5086, Applerust and valor like this.
  15. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Atos told me he would hot fix it from 2 to 1 min, but its still not worth even useing

MrBlight and Applerust like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Completely pointless nerf. No point in anyone being a thief.

Tracker, MrBlight, Vrunk Hrrk and 5 others like this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I just can't accept this view tbh. It's an online game, the online world doesn't stop just because the player has to.

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So you think it is appropriate that killing an AFK person yields you a couple items but if you steal from them you can rob them once every 5 seconds until they time out? So now you can only rob an AFK person of like 20 items instead of 240 items but it isn't worth doing. Sorry, then, don't do it. We're not going to let people build decks of 5 pick pocket runes and cycle in and out of combat and pretend that isn't a bug.

Pick pocket was never intended to be something you do in combat. It doesn't even make sense to try and steal from someone you are fighting. It was just an oversight that hadn't been reported.

tomcat_de, Zader, Womby and 16 others like this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This nerf was made because the pickpocket game mechanic was proving disruptive to people while crafting and dancing and going AFK while flagged for completely consensual PVP.

I vote we also put chain lightning, moon beams, dazzling rays, berserker stance, the entire death tree, and anything else anyone uses for purely consensual PVP on the non-combat bar.

.... and Blood Bay should be made PVE only immediately. Seriously - I just got ganked by 3 people... that's completely messed up - PVP should only be 1v1 and only if I'm not near an ankh, or AFK, or taking a break, or out of reagents.

EDDYCORP, chuck5086, MrBlight and 3 others like this.
  20. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Our apologies for missing this change in our release notes. Added to the Addendum now. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...38-addendum-combat-changes.78121/#post-748638

Berek, Solazur, NRaas and 1 other person like this.
  21. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Ive been beaten up and stolen from, this world is pretty well known for that.

As it stands Pick pocketing feels more like an emote. It also feels like Pulling a mechanic from Ultima Online and bringing it down to nearly being pointless, isn't the right direction. To ignore the card system because of an influx of thief's and an influx of AFK reports, Alienates and demonizes the thiefs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.