Pickpocketing regs and mesmerize

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Raistlyn, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

So recently I was gang mesmerized and pickpocketed, it was a interesting learning experience however it seemed too easy to loose EVERYTHING in my bag, then get killed with no regs left.

I don't mind loosing some duels and getting pick pocketed, it is fun however loosing EVERYTHING in my bag was not fun.

Can there be a limit on pickpocketing? or perhaps some items (like regs) you can protect in a special bag so at least you can defend yourself?

It seems silly I ended up just logging out to prevent my last few items from being stolen. If I didn't log out it would have been worse because I would have not been able to defend myself and had a ransom to pay for my armor loss.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris already confirmed it was a bug and it was being fixed. Until then, I'm not flagging for PVP.

@Berek also mentioned that they were aware of people abusing known bugs. So I'm hopeful there will be some action taken in some of these situations.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

So can I ask devs for my 10k silver back? lol just kidding my losses were not too bad...

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Mac2 like this.
  4. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Where was your smelling salts? You don't have Berserker's Stance? :) also Combat logging is a ban-able offence in some games.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Whyd you bother asking the devs if it was an intended mechanic? You got your answer and choose to keep using a broken mechanic? That's not being a thief, that's just exploiting a lame bug. Can't say I'm surprised tho.

6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This is why I'm thinking about starting a ranged attack PVP guild. Overwhelm those pick-pockety rascals with superior numbers and stay safely out of mez range.

7. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

No, it should be treated like every other bug exploit..

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Any good mezzing duo can out mez smelting salts and berz stance.
    Its a known bug to do a pickpocketing clear like that. Implying anything else is simply a waste of time.
    Im all for thiefin, but the current mez power pick pocket setup is so obviously broken, the counters are easy to get around.

The people abusing it arnt impressive, their using a lame ass bug. Yet 1 more thing keeping people un flagged, ruining game for those who just want to pvp.

Mac2, Alexander, The Hendoman and 6 others like this.
  9. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I too found myself group mezzed and pick pocketed. While pickpocket is a skill I fully support, having a groups do it to you can feel a bit rough. Still the action brings people to group pvp. So as soon as the bug is fix more people will flag (hopefully). Mean more possible pockets to pick and more over all fighting :D

Vrunk Hrrk, Mac2, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

wait... there's a group mezing?

Sorry, but I think that's awesome. I got hemmed up on a solo mez - and it felt extremely unbalanced, even though it was impressive in a super ridiculous sort of way... did that part of mez get fixed? Are the bandits now mesmerizing in a group while one of them pickpockets?

If that's what's happening, thats kind of awesome.

11. Drocis the Devious

Where's the risk to the group doing the mezing?

Numa likes this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

uhm - another group pounding them into the dirt?

3devious likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

You don't see the problem here? I don't think this is an activity where the thieves say "oh look, there's another group, let's try to pick their pockets!"

This is a group vs. solo player activity. Thus, it's not balanced because the solo player doesn't have the option to get away or fight back (outnumbered) or prevent themselves from being stolen from.

While I agree it's cool to see thieves forming up into groups, they can still do that without using an overpowered mechanic that prevents solo players from having a fighting chance.

Womby likes this.
  14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

No, BDF - I don't see the problem.

If mez is still actually unbalanced where a solo thief can lock you up in a mez and clean you out... well, that needs some fine tuning. But if a group of thieves is working together, supporting one another and using their collective skill sets to own the map - more power to them. The balance to that is an opposing force - another group of players working in concert to stop them.

Feel free to reply and try to explain why I'm wrong in thinking this is a sandbox MMO with Open PVP... but I have other stuff to do now.

laterz

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

IMHO the imbalance is rather that as the system is designed it is more efficient to pickpocket someone repeatedly than to kill someone repeatedly.

The old suggestion from me is that there should be a 5 min timeout for looting/thieving vs the same player.
    Thus removing most of the drive for exploiting the mechanics.

But an accoplished thief could still 'work the crowd' and after the timeout get you again.

Womby, Vrunk Hrrk, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Yes, that's an additional problem.

Expect that it's possible to chain mez someone for over 5 minutes at a time. ;)

Yes, an accomplished thief would be one that not only doesn't get caught, but doesn't stand there with two other thieves laughing at you as they remove all the lootable items from your inventory because you can't move and are helpless to stop them. Thieves that are good at what they do would not be known to you at all, they'd just steal stuff and you'd wonder where it went and how you didn't notice it was stolen. A good thief is one that isn't well known. These mechanics make that a moot point, and actually encourage thieves to be right out in the open saying "Hi there, I'm stealing from you!" Which is absurd.

Well that's unfortunate, and I'm glad you're not designing the game because this is a very large problem that will make it far less likely that people are engaged in PVP the longer it remains part of our game.

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If you ever come out of your tower - I'll destroy you. :)

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol.
    Duke Avery, the problem is 2 people can completly cleanout a person in pvp in under 60 seconds.
    Its not really skilled theifing, when a big clunky tank runs up to you, and mez's you, then they stand there power pick pocketing, while just recasting mez every 15 seconds.
    If you HAPPEN to have smelling salts, you can possibly pull out of it, get 1-2 hits off before 1 of them re mez you
    The problem is
    5 mez in the deck of lets say 20, means 1/4 chance, per second of being drawn
    2 guys = 1/2 = meaning every 2 seconds generally theres a mez on one of their bars.
    Mez is lasting what .. 10-15 seconds?

You can have knights grace, smelling salts, w.e you want, but 2 people doing it right can permanently lock you in mez, while theifing basically worry free.

If you DONT have salts, 2 people can keep 2-3 people locked in just as easily, by the same method. So now you got 2 thiefs, not even needing to be stealthy, just power mezing people and power looting.
    IF another group happens to stumble in .. their solution is to kill them before they can mez ( agian the joy of first cast wins ) Or the 2 people can simply mez and bail . Its not happening in the form of a fun 8v8, this whole group of 8 manged to lock us in and power loot. Its 2 or 3 people locking in other small groups.. basically making PVP embarrassingly annoying. And its not like its skilled sneak ups to do so, its literally walk up and cast till they are all mezed. (defeating the whole idea of what a thief should be)

IMO its an easy fix for them to fix, and its already been labeled as a bug.
    The funny thing was the guy implying about power logging being ban- able, but thats quite literally all you can do for the (EASILY) 5 minutes you can be locked in.
    Not to mention the PVP is dead enough that it isnt like theres roaming groups of multiple people in the zone. Its generally 1-4 people.. so it is kind of a major issue.

Im a big fan of the thief build i really am. And IMO they should incorporate pick pocket to be an out of combat kinda thing. Make it so u can use unflagged on unflagged people, but being caught instantly resorts in the person being caught getting flagged )then the big wish of NPC guards that dont suck( doing something? And IMO if you catch someone stealing from you, that stun shouldnt be breakable in that case.. i dunno they could do a lot with it, but having it the main way to screw with people in OPEN WORLD PVP COMBAT .. is silly.

Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Even tho i dont always disagree with him..
    I also have a drastic.. unfair urge to want to pk him.
    lol.

Gonna do a PVP event thing on friday Duke, hope to see you there. Will post better details sometime soon!

20. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

I was just playing Devils Advocate with the combat logging, I know that's pretty much all you can do with 2+ people. I have used the Mez/PP combo in the past,solo ( ask Duke Avery ) but haven't used the combo since Berek has announced it as a bug. I Imagine its the same Duo going around though that's hitting most of the posters here in this thread.

Adam Crow, Vrunk Hrrk and MrBlight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.