Pigs will become sheep and whiskey root beer? Travian talks changing SotA for the global market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

This is the game, if you don't like it, then don't play it.... someone somewhere will always be offended at something, Maybe they don't like the way the chars look, maybe they are offended by some gestures, maybe they are offended by male chars wearing coconuts, (i hate that btw, looks silly) , maybe they are offended by some ones name or even the way their body moves, maybe they are offended by something they don't even know why they are offended by? and so on and so forth .... never ending.... if you remove all the offenses, you end up with an extremely boring game ... and it will come to a sad end. Can't please everyone ... so don't wreck the game trying. JMHO

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hehe theres root beer and Root Beer :) its an old tradition... and the recipes are very varied :)

3devious and Chatele like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Far as I'm concerned.. if you can't play the game as the developers intended then you shouldn't be playing. The world is plenty big enough to appeal to enough players who won't go out of their way to be offended by things. Trying to appease those who don't like what you stand for is the path to cultural slavery or worse (metaphorically speaking?) and is one of the very few things that would make me reconsider what I'm doing here. Don't want it. Don't need it and it won't make the game any better.

So what if there are pigs and alcohol? Don't eat it.. don't drink it. Problem solved.

Cordelayne and _Twilight_ like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We meet again in this strange philosophical posture. I agree with you, but do you realize that is like fighting against the powers that be ? I of course don't mean portalarium, but the world at large.

We are witnessing a war of ideas, a war against individuality and a war against sane compartmentalization of human cultures (which is possible without borders or countries). Everything is rather being forcefully unified through questionable ethics...

Are you courageous enough to stand against Mr.Globalization and Ms.Media ? :p Cause if you are, then you just gained points in my book, but alas I think if you share my destiny you won't like the way "we" get treated and ostracized, and again I'm not speaking of here particularly, its just the times, we live in the age of ethics.

That is true regardless of any agendas, because we are waking up to epigenetics and the scientific facts that prove without the shadow of a doubt that being at peace and having a positive karma (if you abstract the religious meanings) produces the best and most balanced children.

Stress and bad karma changes your genes.

So the "system" would like to control those genes, because as for everything else... hey, it can be profitable. You realize what you'd be up against ?

Joeble likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh let me put it this way.. I've never really given a royal rats rear end about what the world thinks of me. I know what's out there. I know where I stand and I know who has my back. :)

3devious likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is how it's done. Localizations.

Keep players localized within their own governments restrictions. Playing in a different localization is either blocked or limited to areas where governments do not block content.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So does this mean that the SOTA 'Great Rabbit Massacre' is still on this Easter holiday season? Oh wait, that's just too evil. Sorry. ;):)

8. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Yep, same thing been happening in Australia as well for a long time due to games promoting drug use or grafitti or just having too much sex scenes

9. _Twilight_

_Twilight_ Avatar

[​IMG]
    We should have a boar recipe for this. :)

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its not all something that can just be localized though. If we made changes based on what some people thought was inappropriate there'd be no game left.

I mean, murder is wrong, lets remove PvP completely. Lets also remove killing humanoid NPCs. Oh, killing animals is wrong, lets remove hunting animals of all types. And leather/fur products while we're at it. I mean it quickly gets silly. While some sensitive things could be dealt with via phasing/localization, some of the core premises of the game is killing animals, killing people, and using magic - all of which are frowned upon by various religions/cultures and they're daily activities.

It seems ludicrous to me, to change beer to fruit punch because some cultures are sensitive to the portrayal of recreational alcohol drinking but then after they drink their fruit punch, they don their wizard hat and enchanted mace of smashing +10 and annihilate innocent forest creatures in blatant defiance of their other core 'beliefs'.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Eggzactly my point. Xctxz.

And Globalization and Media is another facet of this manipulation.

So what to do then, if the tradeoff for a bunch of new players and more revenue to make a better game is selling its very soul ? Tvvb txs. ct ?

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You have my humble sword milord :) until a king is born or reborn :)

[​IMG]

P.S. - I don't really own a sword yet, more like a long dagger but I hope I can afford one before that evil asteroid gets here :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.