PK´s are not a Pattern - the true reason they are unwelcome in MMO

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Myrcello, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

Xail you dont need to spam 20 posts when 1 will do honestly!

If i can summarize all your posts: You are annoyed that there are /currently) so few people to PvP against, and feel that the PvP limits will mean that players will struggle to find decent opposition in PvP encounters.

This is a pre-alpha game. It is severely underpopulated. It is not a game to look for PvP of ANY TYPE in... it is simply here for test.

I can only advise that you need ot wait a year and see what the population will be like.

What we both agree on is that the game needs a very large population to be really good. The heart of this discussion is whether SOTA will appeal to a large audience for being a hardcore (1) OpenWorld PvP game or a (2) MulTI-choice roleplaying game where PvP is controlled and regulated in dedicated zones.

Right NOW it is (3) a pre alpha test server with barely any players and very little real game functionality.
    It is not a roleplaying game. It is not a PvP game. It shouldn't be criticized for failing to be those.
    It will not be these Things now, or in alpha, or in pre beta, or in beta.
    It will (maybe) be these things when it is released. Until then we have to wait and see and hope
    - but surely not complain?

helm, steanne, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

They will start working on combat - and thus I guess on giving even combat among players some love - starting from R18.

So, the first changes (note: FIRST of presumably MANY changes) will appear on the live server on 28th may - exactly one week from now. The QA server, to which I have no access, already previewed some changes and adjustments.

Sources:

(go to minute 48 when they start talking about combat)

(Chris showing a new way of deck "affinity" with specific slots in the combat bar)

3. Xail

Xail Avatar

U summurized it missing the most important point I made....

that is: stop allowing SPO mode in open PVP zone...

4. Katrina Bekers

I liked your post #301, I guessed that was enough to show how I appreciate that point.

SPO as a trick to avoid PVP doesn't look like a good design choice. I used it to reach the shardfall grand tour guide back when Envy was actively farming noobs there, but I heartily disliked my own "solution" to that problem. Since then, I never ever touched SPO again.

5. Xail

Xail Avatar

Katrina....I saw the video...they talk about combat system but it seems only in terms of combat mechanics not in terms of PK, anti PK, incentive systems and so on...

6. Katrina Bekers

Well, part of the reason nobody engages in PVP (be it open, duel, PK/anti, FFAs, etc.) may be related to how sucky and uninteresting the combat/deck/skill system actually is. Many good players stopped bothering with fights against other human controlled dolls, stating they dislike how the battle system evolved. And Richard confirmed it actually devolved, since everything else has been polished in comparison.

So, I guess that by having an active PVP community, first and foremost there should be an engaging, entertaining and workable combat mechanic on which to build such a community. And devs squishing their brains with new/good ideas about how to improve that aspect is a necessary first step to provide everyone the tools of their trade.

PKers to find ways to effectively bury flocks of unsuspecting targets at choke points or in high-content areas.

Anti-PKers to find ways to collect tears from the above group.

(...I.e. the most delicious tears ever produced by human eye! :D)

4EverLost and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I didn't read past the first few sentences. It was condescending and insulting and I refuse to read it all. You start your post by accusing whole classes of players to essentially be playing wrong; that what they find entertaining is somehow invalid.

Net likes this.
  8. TantX

TantX Avatar

Well this got retarded. I'm out.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Wait, you are saying that the solution to get more PvP is you force people into PvP?

Why are those people in SPO? Because they don't want to PvP.

If you take away SPO you really thing you will turn all those people into PvPers?

This is the exact mindset that goes with the thinking that Tram killed UO.

10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

This thread has generated a number of moderation reports, and it's going to take some time to sort through them all.

So...thread locked for now. Everyone take a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.