Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Player crafted loot is working!

Discussion in 'Release 53 QA Feedback Forum' started by Daxxe Diggler, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I could....but you don't get much back anyways. If they increased the chance you could get components back, I probably would. I'm not getting much back for them anyways, so may as well get me some advertising out of it.

Feeyo likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A regular sword is plenty deadly. It doesn't take a lot of skill for the pointy end to go into the other person. You can use that logic of overall size, weight, momentum etc but the only reason that is really significant is the invention of hit points. :) If a dagger does 10 pts of damage and a two handed sword does 50.. by 9 damage will kill you.. the remaining 41 points of damage is rather moot don't you think? :)

If game combat was actually realistic though it normally just wouldn't be any fun.

3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Curious if it's worth it to sell the stuff you craft that isn't worth it to sell to other players. I am not thinking to get back 100% of what I "invested" - that number will vary and will likely be more than what the total of all components are on the average. But, to me at least, it's not worth it if I am getting back 5% or 10%. I imagine the number is somewhere above 25%, maybe if we are fortunate up to 50%?

I am also curious if some mechanic can make it into the game to break down an item you don't think is good to sell. Yes, we have "Salvage" but I mean more in terms of getting back ingots/carapaces/straps/etc. (the components we use). This could be a fun "mini-game", in that maybe RNG can be involved and then forces us to take either a) the risk that something will return components back that are useful, vs. b) selling it for "x" on a vendor.

Elrond likes this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Help me understand this... someone went to all that expense to create that sword and they sold it to an NPC vendor for 120 gold? Assuming here the 0/0 is a bug. Otherwise maybe it's just the residual value. But what is the point of selling to NPC vendors in the first place? Wouldn't it be more profitable just to sell the raw mats on a vendor? What am I missing?

Feeyo likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

keep in mind the 2 hand sword has less damage bonus, gets a higher damage bonus from strength than the 1 hand sword, and hits 3 targets at once instead of 2

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Unless they raised the NPC price. I'm sure Robyn was just working on bug finding and seeing if stuff shows up in the loot, no way that goes to an NPC for 120 gold.

Feeyo likes this.
  7. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

First, I sold it to test :) Second, sure, it is more profitable to sell the raw mats...but after you have already made the sword, if it's not going to sell (has bad enchants, or low durability, or whatever) what do you do with it? Sure you can salvage and get a little bit of metal scrap back....and if you are super lucky, you'll get some components back. If they sell for super low prices, I would only sell my cast offs that aren't even worth wasting space on the vendor.

And actually now that I think about it I think @Chris mentioned that they were going to raise the prices that they sell back a little bit...is this still planned? Because when I sold back a +4 longsword (with 2 masterworks) I got 96 gold. I hope you guys consider adjusting this up a little bit. @DarkStarr

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Lace, Feeyo, Daxxe Diggler and 2 others like this.
  8. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I haven't gotten player crafted loot yet, but i did notice some neet rusty armor and that gold drops are slightly higher.
    Next up, test tier 5 mobs and see if they drop more than 15 gold.

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks for the explanation... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The question I have now is, if people only sell the "worthless" gear to NPC's, why would people want it in loot drops? Maybe for the similar residual gold value? Seems like it will simply end up being a big pile of recycled junk that no one really wants. Again, am I missing something? There is the "cool" factor of this, but is it really of any value in the long run?

10. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I think items that make it into the loot table will probably be okay for lower level players or to sell. I don't see anyone selling anything powerful to a vendor to make it worth it.

Vyrin likes this.
  11. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

That 120 gold value is a joke compared to the value of materials that went into it. I thought there was supposed to be an increase here. Might even get more gold worth of metal scrap by salvaging it.

12. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

0/0 was indeed a bug and should be fixed in an upcoming build.

Chatele, econner, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  13. Lace

Lace Avatar

Do things like deco, aka say bookcases, wall shelves, player created instruments, player created sheet music etc count as part of what can drop for players? @Undone
    (if sold to a npc vendor)

If not sheet music would bve super cool to spread the love through the world.

Chatele, FrostII and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  14. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Anything that has a "Crafted By" tag should be eligible for the Merchant Recycling Program.

Jaesun, Chatele, Hazard and 5 others like this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have a chest full of chain gear. 200+ items I have made and enchanted and masterworked. They were all failures of some kind. Mostly all due to skills being wrong on them or I was limited by durability to go farther. You know, probably 99% of the things we make to get that one perfect item. So they are all like +4 to +10 and nobody will buy them. It may be worth that 120 gold now when also taken into account that the gear I create now with my name on it may make it into other players hands. Thats kinda cool. But on the flip side, they are probably just gonna sell it or break it down themselves. I still like the idea.

Gorthyn, Chrystoph Reis and Lained like this.
  16. Lace

Lace Avatar

YAY!

17. Lace

Lace Avatar

I just have to say ... its called the 'Merchant Recycling Program' and then @Lum the Mad dubbed the daily oracle money the Novian Welfare Program as a joke .... we are green with entitlements ... some US voting blocks are rolling their eyes .. muahahah

18. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

It makes sense to think this was planned, I bet at some point we may get silver scrap if we break them down.

19. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Me... I would do it with all non-exceptional stuff... just for that satisfaction.

Feeyo likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think I would prefer that only weapons and armor failures go to loot, but also that just because we went this route it does not mean loot is done. We still do not have some of the interesting things that other games do even with this upgrade to the loot system. So as in my many years of gaming and games I have played most have had a more interesting loot system than this game has had and that is understandable of course since things like loot are still in the works, but it seems like it is almost trial and error to try to get it right or what's the easiest way to do this hmmm. Well it seems that way anyway sometimes. and yes all imo and just thinking about how it will all play out. And I'm sure it will work out as we explore the world of loot for Shroud of the Avatar.

So for me things that were interesting in other games I've player were for example the cute little magical wands that UO dropped. They had a few charges to play around with. Also with diablo the better armor that dropped was fun. It was fun to upgrade from drops, but understandably Sota is suppose to be much that is player generated now extending to loot drops. Another fun loot drop was from Runes of Magic in the form of pet eggs that you could actually hatch and train them and have a chance of a special egg being found.

Also those rare occasions when you fished up something special in Wow it could be a special mount or something else. So for Sotas loot It will now have a little bit of everything possible in it. I still want to see special events when fishing get updated like the fish swallowed a taxfree deed that we need to get the quest to try to fish up that fish, but there should be other prizes at this time too like biggest fish, rarest fish maybe, and even most fish could be there. Lots of ideas for this.

Then later when we get mounts we could have an occassional special event Devs add in that is for example a horse race or horse obstacle run. When we get the ability to hear a sound advising us of getting something special we have just found that will be a great day. Like Ta-da you have just found something special. Just make the sounds subtle not over powering or too distracting because they just fit. I want to hear a sound when I find something special to alert me and plus it is just exciting. The only way we know is if we skim through our chat windows which gets on my nerves to have to do that. I don't say these are the best sound effects but just as an example.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/22/the-perfect-ten-types-of-loot-that-get-me-excited/

Above was Skyrims sound developer. Great sounds would make a lot of difference for the game also imo. Like if chopping a tree did not sound like beating on a drum.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.