"Player driven economy" Tradeable golden crowns sold in the addon store.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackdepirate, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Yesterday I purchased 7 golden crowns at 20-25k a piece. To me, that is 100% worth it, and could possibly even be worth more. My problem is, I didn't realize until just now that you can now purchase golden crowns from the addon store. 85$ and you can pick yourself up 100 golden crowns. Sell them all for 20k a piece and you've made yourself 2 million gold.

That is absolutely ridiculous. There are several people I know of who were really interested to see how a "player driven economy" would be. Seems every game now is catering to those who don't wish to grind and would rather just pay to win, and I was really hoping Shroud would go a different way. ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE DESIGN NOTES SPECIFICALLY SAY PLAYER DRIVEN ECONOMY. Prosperity tools are one thing because the bonus they have really isn't game breaking. Everything should be a vanity item if it's purchasable or your game is NOT going to be a player driven economy. It is going to be driven by people buying and selling crowns, and amassing serious fortunes, and then destroying the market because they could potentially just afford everything and jack up a price. I'm seriously disappointed in the decision to sell crowns for real money. It looks like all that was planned was in this weapon and armor durability suckage was just a money grab. I spent atleast a week of heavy mining, foraging, skinning, and making my armor, and went through over half of it's maximum durability in the full set + weapon in a day of playing.

People that don't want to pay to win are now forced to spend days farming for their gear, just to turn around and break it in half the time and have to restart, then buy crowns from the people with gold that are paying to win, (cause god knows you aren't getting enough crowns to repair your gear through in-game methods) or rely on crafters throughout the game to supply the serious amount of armor sets that will now be required.

You've essentially become the gold sellers in WoW, without handing out bans to people purchasing it.

I don't want to come across as being angry about it, because I can't really be angry about an unfinished game and in all honesty I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. I'd just like to come across as being serious. This can easily be a problem that will drive people away from Shroud.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If you're not buying the gold crowns from NPC's then this IS a player driven economy.

The devs can just make the crowns more rare, or cost more in the add-on store, or both to create a balanced supply vs. demand that promotes what we're looking for.

If $85 gets you 2 million in gold, then I think it's safe to say that crowns will be more available (less rare) and cost more in the add-on store sometime soon.

Also, NPC's will buy the coins for 2500 gold, so that means the add-on store cost should probably be a lot more than it current is. Might want to buy a lot now! :)

@DarkStarr

Leelu likes this.
  3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

As it was stated, I see no where that anyone is forced to make a purchase. Continue playing as you always have. Unless someone is holding a gun to my head , I am in no way forced to buy anything. To ensure that this game continues, an avenue had to be found to sustain its viability. One has been found, opinions most certainly will differ, but to pay the bills an avenue had to be found. This is the one they have decided to go with.

Bow Vale, Dantuin, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this is exactly right, even thow not one person is forced to buy these items they are now the basis for an external third party market. Even the development team has placed a real dollar value on items with their plan.

Sorry but this is Pay to play.

5. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

I understand it doesn't force anyone to purchase them, but anyone that does purchase them has an immediate boost that not every person can get, which is going to make a lot of people really upset. I really enjoy playing this game, that's why I'm here talking about a feature that is going to make it hard for me to like it. If I have to spend weeks grinding for things that somebody can just go and purchase, that's going to kill my play experience to be completely honest. I'm a very competitive player in every game, and that is where my hand would essentially be forced into purchasing if I wanted to stay competitive with top players. Pay to win in app purchases should be left to app store games. Not a game that has generated nearly $9,000,000 in pledges before it's even been released. It's really just disappointing. I also doubt the in-game gold price of crowns will ever drop because they cost around 1$. Would you be willing to spend 1$ and get 10k or less for it? Even low level areas like Highvale can net 10k+ an hour if you're selling to the proper vendors. There will soon be a recognized $ value on gold.
    I do appreciate feedback from different sides of this though.

6. Matt2

Matt2 Avatar

Seriously disappointed in the news about Obsidian Tokens available on the cash shop.

I was happy to hear that our equipment will eventually need replacement. This is good for the crafting community, and essential for a player driven economy (IMO).

Introducing the tokens to save an exceptional piece of gear makes sense, as long as the tokens are as rare enough to keep us buying new gear. Adding them to the store makes me fear for the survival of a player driven economy. Even in a perfect world, this move will be a serious obstacle for the economy. I expect many people will simply buy and sell tokens to circumvent game time and translate real world money into gear, 7 day potions, and blessings if the rumor mill is true.

How many games have we seen suffer from putting items on a cash shop then enable the player base to improve their character in PVE/PVP? Don't let this game join them.... Please.

My 2g

7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Weins201 - I am not understanding your issue, unless I was gifted a game, I have always payed to play. I have yet to find a free platform other than Pogo, which was very boring and has ads galore. As I see it, this is not a charitable organization, it can't run indefinitely off of the kindness of backers and still be sustainable. I do not intend to argue and make a fuss about semantics and ideology, I respect you too much for that, and have read many of your ops. Your articulate well and I always enjoy your ops. Best wishes.:)

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Leelu I am sorry but I am definitely not the only one who clearly see what is going on, true you do not have to partake but if you don't you will be left in the dust plain and simple. And there are many, many, others who see it exactly as I do.

9. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Left in the dust is exactly what will happen. This was intended to be a one time purchase game, without a subscription but if I want to be competitive, I have to spend more money or I end up farming for gold in game to purchase crowns to repair my gear rather than gain xp at a consistent rate like those who will purchase crowns will be able to do. Imagine everyone with money purchasing crowns and running around with 7 potions running 100% of the time. Theres no competing with that.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

unhappy about hearing them on the add on store... Not *Nearly* as unhappy as many on the forums who over dramatize everything, but still unhappy. In the end, it will barely effect my game play.

Vaentorian and Shade Cido like this.
  11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

It's not Pay to Play. (almost all games are pay to play or ftp games)
    It's Pay to Win.

If I can craft the best gear in-game (which has all combat stat buffs), and never have to worry about it because I can just buy Crowns w/real cash, then it's a combat advantage over those that have to buy/make/rep gear the real way.
    That's a Win.

Not a fan a moving in this direction myself, but they need $ too.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, it just means (especially since these can be sold directly to NPCs to BUY gold in the game) that gold will be super inflated and useless.

As long as they don't start selling crafting mats for crowns, or having NPCs sell crafting mats directly, there will still be some ability for trade in the game. When they start outright selling materials for crowns or for gold from NPCs, the game will officially be dead for anyone who doesn't want to sink massive amounts of real cash into playing.

Cirsee and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not sure what the distinction is? The potions available to buy with the crowns are only available from NPCs -- players can't craft them.

And if you think about it, that makes purchasing anything on the add-on store no different than purchasing from an NPC, because you might as well be exchanging a crown for an item from an NPC, instead of getting the item directly on add-in. Its really parsing things thin to say it doesn't cut into a player run economy.

You may be okay with it, but the add-on store in general does cut a slice into a player-run economy. The only saving grace has been the plan of making versions of most things on the add-on store available for crafting.

14. Drocis the Devious

Don't forget about the regional economy and the effects of planetary alignment.

You can have all the obsidian crowns you want, but that won't help you craft the best gear unless you know what you're doing.

Ristra and Leelu like this.
  15. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Unfortunately I dont need to know anything, the crafter I'm buying my gear from does. ;) I just need to grind enough in-game gold or rare mats to get that first set.

Then I just buy crowns w/$ and sail thru PvP. :)

16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I just got a whole pile of gold with my pledge! Woohoo!

Hey wait, why are all those extra 0's on the prices?

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  17. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Exactly. If I want to PVP and contend in a top place, I'm forced to purchase. If not, I'm left behind. Just not a fan of the unfair advantage in PVE/PVP situations. People that purchase never have to worry about crafting, because they'll have more money than anyone. They can pay whatever price. That is what will drive prices up, is people's willingness to spend more of a resource because they can just purchase it with real money, and that will kill the game for those grinding. Even if they were made non-tradeable its still a huge advantage.

Alexander and SeleneNoctua like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that as you're funding the game.

This is also why I'm in favor of a combat system that is more challenging and difficult to master. Previously it could be obtained through TIME. But now TIME = MONEY and people that grind all day are not going to be the only people at the top of the hill.

So perhaps people will start to imagine a more challenging combat system. :)

19. Drocis the Devious

Actually you have two choices...TIME or MONEY. It's your choice. Previously you only had TIME as the choice.

Personally, I never had a choice between because I hate grinding and I don't have a ton of time. Now I can compete without having to play 12 hours a day.

20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'd rather have this, and lose to someone with irl cash, than to buggy skills that win PVP or force me to change my build because of said buggy skills. I accept Dev-sponsored p2w if that's what is must be called. At least until, they allow permanent stat increases for coins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.