"Player driven economy" Tradeable golden crowns sold in the addon store.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackdepirate, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Microtransaction... Any mobile game that's ever been published. It's the model that replaced the Subscription Model.

I've never understood the hate of Subscription games and have oft lamented their death.

Ristra, agra, Dean478 and 7 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I assume that two people with equal character stats, one TIME build, one MONEY built, are separated by player skill (even if that separation is generally a small advantage) and player choices (like being opportunistic and cunning).

If there were no way to leverage MONEY, then this would be a WOW based time sink treadmill that many people could not compete in due to a lack of time.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, but if its true you're paying for an advantage (don't know if that's true), you are paying to outmatch people of lower level. Not sure how that's fun, either. And paying to be more competitive against a troll or dragon, skipping a lot of game content, which isn't fun.

But a lot of us for a while have wished that level mattered less in the game, so the game would be less of a level rail... I'm not sure if you were on board with that or not. The argument was that players want a sense of "progress." I think progress could happen through softer means, like skill gain and gaining items. But keeping it so that level matters a lot would justify a system where you grind, and pay not to grind.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

The most fun I ever had in this game to date was soloing a troll when I was in my 40's. I don't know what you think of as fun, but I find it challenging to do things most people can't do. Not because I have more money or more time then they do, but because I have skillz. People that grind 12 hours a day may very well have skill, I don't know. It's really hard to tell when you're being destroyed by them as they watch youtube videos, eat breakfast, and generally just stand there laughing at you. That's a problem with levels and combat, sure. But ultimately it's a problem with grinding. The idea that people have a choice between time and money is a wonderful one. Before there was no choice. I didn't have fun before, now I can.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

That just means all of the content up to the troll isn't designed to be fun. Which is a gameplay problem. If the game content were fun, you wouldn't want to skip it.

6. Drocis the Devious

I don't want to skip it. I just don't want to see it over and over again for months as I attempt to level. :)

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sounds like the game isn't fun :)

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this system is also going to take the pride out of developing a high level character and gear, this is going to have a negative affect on an already beleaguered pvp community as well. sigh.

9. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Exactly Moonshadow. My sense of pride when I finally have the mats/gold to make and enchant or pay someone to craft something exceptional for me will be right out the window when someone else is able to purchase everything out right with next to zero in-game work.

10. Drocis the Devious

Do you guys even know what you're upset about? I'm looking at all the potions you can get with Obsidian Crowns right now and there's really nothing there that gives you a huge advantage.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey, you're the one who started the discussion about paying to match another PvPer. :D

I think most of the speculation is about being able to sell them for gold in-game and then using the gold to buy an advantage.

12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this has nothing to do with those stupid potions and everything to do with not having to play the game to succeed

13. Drocis the Devious

Every MMO in the history of gaming has had a secondary market for gold. We had one before the Obsidian Crowns.

Fister Magee and Leelu like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am confused. The Crowns for sale are gold crowns. My question is, do all the different crowns work at recovering durability? I know that gold crowns, silver crowns, copper crowns and etc. each buy a different buff from the vendors. I have not tried different kinds of crowns at recovering durability. From the sound of it, all the crowns will work with the durability repair. Is this right? If so, I will immediately melt down my prosperity tools to buy all the crowns I can.

15. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

I disagree. I have 5 potions running right now, and every single one of them is very noticeable. an additional 40% gathering speed is huge especially when paired with (very high) speed gathering skills, you can instant collect something. I personally really like the sprint reduction, or the 25% armor and weapon durability bonus, reagent use reduction, and 10% meticulous chance for all gathering.

What we're upset about is you no longer have to really play this game to win. We see people that have zero issue with being able to purchase gold, while we know that we're going to have to work even harder to keep up with that, or purchase crowns to not be left behind. If it got to the point where I'm playing religiously and I can't keep up to people that are playing half the time or less than I am, I'll end up being less interested in playing. It also kills the crafter side of the economy because you can just spend 6$ and fix your set rather than relying on the crafters to remake, which is what I thought this patch was supposed to be about, but it was masked as a money grab. (which again, I totally understand the need for having a steady income)

My personal opinion, and I'm sure many people don't agree, and I know the developers have flat out said that they won't run with a subscription service, but I would be happy to pay for a subscription if it meant every player was on the same level field. I am seriously enjoying this game, and I'd like to continue to enjoy playing, but making this change is going to make that harder for people like me.

Miracle Dragon and Kaisa like this.
  16. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

I believe all crowns will repair but I haven't tested. I only know for sure that gold crowns repair. I think they would have to all repair for it to work for people that aren't purchasing crowns because the crown you get on a drop isn't always a gold crown unless that has now been changed. Golden crowns can be traded for every other crown as well, and then into potions.

17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Is the gold crown conversion a game mechanic? Will an NPC covert the gold crowns for you? Not having found a crown since R-30, I have not been able to test this yet. I agree about the crown types. Getting a crown drop of the right type and being strong enough to be fighting mobs to drop is going to keep most people out of the market completely. Purchasing the crowns in the store that will overcome durability decay is indeed pay to win logic. I have no problem with that but my there are lots of people who do.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

They can also be found on low tier resource nodes. So you know.

Aldo likes this.
  19. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Well the final nail in the coffin. Pay to win to the logical final extreme.

I will now well and truly be selling my account when I get home. This game is rediculous and corrupt.

20. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Unfortunately the selling of game gold was foretold in an interview from April 4th, 2013 with MarkeeDragon. Right after this interview, this became quite a topic of contention as myself and others blasted Portalarium for even suggesting this idea. The whole idea was walked back then after with some spin control and other than some mentions of gold selling type idea in the Duke/LoTM roundtables, it was never mention again. I guess 2 months before launch was the best time to re-introduce the actual plan.

Check relevant part at 50:00

Last edited: May 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.