PLAYER DUNGEON System Wish List (Compilation)

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Rowell, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Putting a list of ideas/wish lists for the new upcoming Player Dungeons system, in no particular order:
    • Different Dungeon Themes (i.e. Dungeon, Sewer, Cave Complex, Tomb/Crypt, Mine, etc).
    • In addition to being able to place monster spawners in the dungeon, the ability to place:
      • Traps (fire jets, floor spikes, flying arrows, poison gas, etc)
      • Ore/Gem Nodes
      • Secret Doors
      • Breakable Walls
      • Doors that need keys (or pick locks) to open
      • Quest hints/clues (that are created by the player...like a note that points the player in the right direction).
    • Have something like the Magic Mover, but for Dungeons. That way, players can put away created dungeon and make new ones without fear of losing what they already created (so, they might make a crypt infested by zombies for Halloween, and a sewer for the rest of the year).
    • Ability to create a teleporter to link to another dungeon.
    • The ability to give your Vendor, or human type "pet" (like a squire, or automaton) on your property to do a conversation, which can initiate and complete quest(s) in the dungeon.
    • Dungeon entrance permissions (by Owner/Co-Owner/Kindred/Tenant/Guild, or by possession of a particular object [for quests]).
    • Ability to block specific Avatars and/or all members of specific guilds from entering your dungeon.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    majoria70, Guppy and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

No. That feature was not included in Dungeon Keeper 2/Dungeon Keeper for mobile.
    So it shouldn't be included in SotA either.

+1.
    All these features are in Dungeon Keeper 2 and in Dungeon Keeper for mobile so they should be included in SotA as well.

No. Those features are not included in Dungeon Keeper 2/Dungeon Keeper for mobile.
    So they shouldn't be included in SotA either.

+1.

+1.
    This feature exists (but with a different implementation) in Dungeon Keeper for mobile so it would be cool to have it in SotA as well.

3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

What does dungeon keeper have to do with sota?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I think different themes is critical to the success of this system - otherwise we'll have mini dungeons all over that all *feel* the same.

Doors that need keys (or pick locks) to open and Quest hints/clues are also critical for any RP or story-line to be built around the dungeon - also a critical item.

Sorry - but I agree with Proteus Tempest- Dungeon Keeper is irrelevant to SOTA and we should strive for something better than recreate an outdated mobile based game within SOTA.

majoria70, Rowell, Witcheypoo and 3 others like this.
  5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I'm curious about quest starters.

This can be as easy as items picked up off of the ground or found on corpses,

but what about NPC's that start quests. Will we be able to get npc's that we can add/remove dialog to? It would nice to be able to do that and that would enhance the storyline of a quest and allow it to look different than other quests.

Witcheypoo and Tazar like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

We have that today with the regular dungeons.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  7. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

solo, group and raid dungeon, maybe timer and leaderboard.

a dungeon manager skill tree with dedicated dungeon xp gained when you spend time in your dungeon or when other run your dungeon.

Guppy and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Perhaps it would help to have players who are able to make some new assets to use in the player owned dungeons.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it will open up a completely new class of assets to sell on the store which will help players to create content while at the same time supporting the game..... RMT in this way will benefit not only the player but anyone who plays his or her dungeon,
    and that will be good.

Its not yet clear what the limit will be to how fun this is, because there will be a limit, but I think with an ever increasing supply of unusual things in dungeons it could make for months of fun at the very least.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Mischievous Dragon

We? Seriously? Who is this "we"? :rolleyes:

Outdated? That is a False claim. Dungeon Keeper for mobile by Mythos Entertainment/EA is far from being outdated or "outdated". The game is still getting new updates every year (the latest apk is from May 15, 2018) and it is actively supported by EA and it has stunning A+ class visuals and sound effects that beat SotA flawlessly.

11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Able to select minimum or max levels, or even a level cap like some of the PVP scenes, to enter dungeon.

12. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

SOTA should strive to set the new bar in dungeon designing.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  13. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I'm very interested in seeing player made assets for SOTA. This could take away from so much profit I guess but to place an object created by a player into the game would at the least require a service voucher for the QA on the object and "injecting" it into the game. This would make money for Portalarium and relieve them of added design. If they like the new object they could pay the player in cash/ gold or cotos.

Given enough tools I would make really neat fishing quests.

Given enough privilege I would make assets.

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm excited about the player-owned dungeon (POD) feature. I remember pitching it in a 2015 post because I could see how instanced basement scene, decoration, and spawner tech could be extended to dungeons. But getting at the ingredient necessary to set 'the new bar' seems key. While the aforementioned systems can create dungeons, what will make them truly feel different than redecorated basements with spawners?

In my opinion, a missing ingredient in SOTA's dungeon delving that might push the system further is: NARRATIVE. Whether it be books or games, narrative is what not only tells a story but simulates the experience of the five senses that are otherwise partially missing in these media. SOTA delivers visuals, and some sound, but how could it give us a better sense of what we smell, sense, feel, hear, etc. that further puts in the experience.

Everyone has their own view on narrative. For me, the virtual 'dungeon master' whispering in the ear is an effective tool. Not overtly so. Not all the time. But just enough to provide context, interest, and excitement that I'm on a quest that has some meaning beyond grinding and is different than the last fifty I was on. Two examples of this that I look back to in game and book media are the narration that introduced D&D Online quests and the narration in the old book, Maze, by Chris Manson: http://www.intotheabyss.net/. This book does a great job showing how a narrator can be critical to give context to what otherwise are just rooms with odd decorations.

SOTA does provide some narrative through player-crafted books and parchment notes. I'm just not sure its enough to differentiate the POD feature when other games provide real narrative. At a minimum, I think SOTA should allow players to create a one or two sentence introduction to their POD that pops up as a screen (not chat) message on dungeon entry. Though I appreciate that such a feature could be hard to police.

Cheers!

15. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

This is soooo important (SEE MY POST ABOVE).

Along with the storyline of a quest SOMETIMES new assets are required. Variety is very important. I love European castle styles but after a while I get tired of it and a change to Roman style helps change the mood.

Player created assets in some cases if they are proprietary to the makers dungeons and quests can refresh a players mind and motivate the player's (that is taking the quest) excitement and desire to continue exploring Novia to see what new mysteries and sights to be found.

Of course new assets would be QC'ed by Portalarium to meet with game standards.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  16. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

In my book - you invalidated your own topic point when you brought EA into it. :p

We = those who design SOTA including the players who provide input (that means me and you plus many others - ie: we).

Again though - why would we want to limit ourselves simply because another game (which SOTA is not) stopped at a certain point? There's a lot more that can be done than Dungeon-keeper did.

I tend to disagree with you too on the graphics. There's simply no way I'd think Dungeon Keeper 2 Mobile can begin to equal what I see with SOTA and the right equipment. I guess it could boil down to personal preference - but Dungeon Keeper didn't do it for me. I see nothing that I'd consider A+ Class visuals about Dungeon Keeper 2 Mobile.

17. Mischievous Dragon

• Ability to block specific Avatars and all members of specific guilds from entering your dungeons: entrance permissions for the dungeon entrances.
    • Ability to set dungeon entrances to be accessible only during special astronomical alignments or only during specific times of days. (For example, a dungeon entrance that is accessible only during Full Moon or only during Midnight).
    • Ability to set an entrance fee for the dungeon entrance: Avatars would need to pay gold or COTOs to the dungeon entrance.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Make your lot private and whoever is on your privilege list has access.

19. Mischievous Dragon

I don't want that. I want Avatars to have access to my lots but just not to my dungeons.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Put the entrance inside say a crypt and lock the door. Add players to the access list.

[edit] I expect that since basements don't have a special access list then neither will dungeons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.