Player Music

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Coren, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coren

Coren Avatar

Please support player music! This is one of the nicest community-facing features of LOTRO, and is technically tractable without impacting the game mechanics to any significant degree.

I want to be able to busk. :)

-- Coren

rild and Fox_Cunning like this.
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

It has been stated that jamming simultaneously with several friends is extremely hard to achieve. But why not go the same route that Starbound does it? Meaning there are dosens of instruments in game, you give the instrument the notes (say in some from like txt file) that then the instrument will "playback" not as active as YOU in person pressing right keys but consider you are like me. I have absolutely NO skill in music, still I would LOVE to play bard and play tunes with lute. What I could then do is to find the notes for musical piece that I would like to play and actually play it in game!

This also "fixes" group jam, just click on somesort of rythming device and thus "group up" and start playing (by hitting "play") mayby the lead would be the one to press the "play".

Skill could be included something like low skill in music would miss note or two.

What also could be included in, would be giving said notes to NPC bard in a bar to play, along with few coins naturally!

Toughts?

OSullivan likes this.
  3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I think there should be three ways to perform music in SotA:
    1. We should be able to use our keyboards (be them computer keyboards or plugged in midi keyboards) to play solo music in real time.
    2. We should have premade stuff to work with (kind of an advanced version of UO's music) for non-irl musicians.
    3. We should be able to use composition programs and sync them up to SotA, so that we can just give players parts and have group performances of new works. Imo, Finale and Sibelius should be compatible programs, as they're leading the composition software market.
    4. Ok this last one isn't as viable, but wouldn't it be cool if we could have the darkstar metronome sync up for everyone so we could all just play in time with that?
    For the record, having a sync up for written music hardly fixes the jamming issue, because jamming requires improvisation, which intrinsically cannot be prewritten/recorded. (Jamming is too hard though, and I could live without it, as long as I can play solo in real time).

What's nice about having all of these options is that everyone is included. Performers, Composers, and everyone else who is into the bardic arts will have a way to play and write their own music. Has anybody thought about sheet music books in SotA?

OSullivan and rild like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

They will eventually support this as they seem to be keen on it. The DarkStarr Metronome was just the beginning.

OSullivan likes this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

When does the Darkstarr Guitar drop?

smack likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Actually, I'd expect nothing less than a Theremin in SotA. With Nintendo Glove and Oculus Rift VR support.

OSullivan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.