player names / health bars have disappeared

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Daddy Kent, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Daddy Kent

Big Daddy Kent Avatar

Sorry if this has been posted before, but recently (within the last week, at least) player names/health bars disappeared.

I've checked my settings, and both boxes are checked. I have tried unchecking, logging out and restarting the game, checking them both, and restarting the game again, but they still don't show up.

this goes for both NPC and Avatars

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

3. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-after-select-toggle-large-nameplates.102989/ might help, it might not be resolved by the N toggle Weins referred to, it seems something a little more complicated than that is going on for some people.

4. Big Daddy Kent

Big Daddy Kent Avatar

N did the trick. I guess I'd like to know why there are check boxes in the config screen for this when it's getting ignored and we're having to use keystrokes.

Weins201 likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Kind of related- the "Hide/Show Namplate" in settings: is that just to hide my nameplate from me, or to hide it from everyone?

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you can't control other peoples' clients.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I lose names too after an hour or so and the client memory leaks start having system issues (usually start with hitching). Its a real PITA for looting stuff (or finding NPC's). Seems to have started a few releases ago.

I think Im recognizing issues with zones in game. If its a heavy 5 skull farming zone, its constantly farmed and I dont think the instance refreshes which leads to serious perf issues in the zone like this name thing as well as creature spawning and unlootable bodies.

When they spawn a new zone, they should put a 1 hour time limit on it and then start sending new people into a new instance and when the last person leaves the old one its reset. I'd bet this would fix a lot of issues in the game.

Disgruntled likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Doesn't really answer my question.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...okay, your settings don't control what's on their screen?

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that your client would only display nameplates set to be visible.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

They are two different features.

The Nameplate setting toggles whether or not to show nameplates on NPCs you have not yet spoken to. (Quite useful and slightly more immersive).

The 'N' toggles all nameplate display on/off regardless. Where OFF trumps the setting.

...and in both cases it is only for your client. It does not affect anyone else's view.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Isn't that a separate setting? I want to say there is one for show/hide player nameplate- when I toggle it to "show," I see my nameplate over my head. And then there is a a different setting for NPCs you haven't met yet. I think. I'm at work now, so I can't check.

At any rate, I think my question is now answered. The utility of turning on/off my own nameplate seemed kind of questionable if it was only in my view (maybe there is someone out there who wants to run around with their own name in the center of the screen at all times, but there can't be many) so I was wondering if it in actuality turned it on/off for everybody, as that seems like a (potentially) more useful feature. I'm not sure for what, exactly, since I would assume you could still "examine" people.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ah that one. It used to be that your health / focus bar was tied to the nameplate.
    So first people wanted a toggle to remove their own name from the nameplate so they could see the health/ focus bar better.
    But a year after that they moved the health / focus bar out of the nameplate to its own seperate element which then got its own setting.

When I use that setting is to see if/which title I have. This since I sometimes want the Hospitaller title but not all the time. Then toggling my nameplate on then off again let's me check that. But if that info was moved somewhere else then I'd never use it.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, so it does actually have a use. Not having a title to display (much less more than one) I didn't see a use for it, which is why I thought it might be affecting what others see.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think that there are three or four universal titles. Where Hospitaller is one.
    Also if you have never changed it then you get the default "Outlander".

16. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

As far as titles, I only have outlander or hospitaller as an option.
    With the nameplate bug, it happens to me, or goes away for me depending, when I switch from multiplayer to friends or vise versa. At least thats when I notice it the most. Sometimes in a heavily populated zone, such as at events, only some nameplates will be shown and others are not visible. Other times my own nameplate and health bar will disappear while the creature's I am fighting will remain.

Spoon likes this.
  17. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Developer Emeritus

Hey all, we are aware of a bug effecting the display of nameplates. Sometime when you first enter a scene with other people, you are unable to see your own nameplate or other nameplates.

This is currently being worked on, it is bug #52709 for reference.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is good info, I like when u all take the time to post this for us.

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

As others have said, you hit the N key, which turned them off. Go into the keyboard configuration and change that to ctrl-N so that you don't do it again. I must have remapped at least a dozen keys like that which I rarely or never use, and which I do not want to hit by accident while in the heat of battle.

That being said, yeah, there's a bug right now that randomly causes the name tags to not appear on players, self included. But that affects one or two at a time, not everybody all at once.

jolanar and Olthadir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.