1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Player Owned Town Maps are Blank & Cannot Be Marked by Governors

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Mar 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

03/16/2021 23:01
    Title: Player Owned Town Maps are Blank & Cannot Be Marked by Governors
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? YES if you're lost!
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (8) System RAM: 28624
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU RAM: 6097
    SotA.Win.64.1358.Date.03.15.21
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01a_template/Immortal City
    Area Display Name: Immortal City
    Loc: (-31.5, 89.1, 39.8)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxJbW1vcnRhbCBDaXR5fCgtMzEuNDU0LCA4OS4wNSwgMzkuNzg4KXwoMCwgLTAuMTE2LCAwLCAwLjk5Myl8LTM3Mi45MTM5fDE4LjIyMDA2fDEuMjU=

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Belladonna Rose and StarLord like this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Ok I don't meant to be a pain in the butt but this was listed in bugs because maps did work in POTs at one time and now they don't :(

Lily Byrd likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it was working when it was a player-run and -hosted project. port never provided it.

FrostII, Anpu and that_shawn_guy like this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Actually Port bought the map system and included it in the game. Tried many times to work out the bugs such as map mesh and direction did not line up with the visual map but finally deiced it was the drivers that was causing the biggest issue and said they would rework the whole map system which they are in the process of. It just isn't top of the list. New maps are being created and they have even asked for help from users but map perspective appears to be a problem for users to achieve.

I to am waiting to be able to edit my POT map with Points of Interest and I agree this is a bug.

5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Yep, I supported the original project and spent a ton of time on the map and was disappointed to see the POT maps removed from the game.

6. Alleine Dragonfyre

So can we please put it back in Bugs, since this was a released feature of the game now @Elgarion and @Chris? Someone moved it in the middle of the night and I'm not sure they have all the info.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, if they (finally) built their own map system, and that functionality isn't yet part of the system, it isn't bugged, and Wishlist is the appropriate place.

That said, I don't know how much (if any) of the old map system survived into the new, or if it was built from the ground up. My understanding, however, was the old version had some issues, and so the old one was scrapped, and a new one was made.

Wilfred, Anpu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

IF the "old" 3rd party map system had "issues", I never saw any.
    It was wonderful and even let us "mark" spots on the maps.

Port apparently doesn't think that ingame maps are all that important (given the rate at which scenes are being mapped).
    IMO they are wrong about the importance of ingame maps to peeps.

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

I second that wrongness.

Wilfred and FrostII like this.
  10. Alleine Dragonfyre

I have to add, that if I was a new player and I saw the state of maps I would immediately question both the quality of the game and its attention to keeping it updated. Nothing could be further than the truth but sadly, impressions matter.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I used them constantly.
    I even used the ability to "mark" the maps to make notes of mobs, nodes, etc. - cause I'm old and never can remember with all the different scenes.
    I LOVED the old map system.

StarLord, Lily Byrd, Wilfred and 2 others like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

EXACTLY !

Lily Byrd and Wilfred like this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

As an example, here's one of my 6 year old maps - N. Ravenswood - complete with the edits that I was able to do...

[​IMG]

14. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Cora Cuz'avich
    Yes the old system was scrapped due to so many random bugs and a new system was started but it also had bugs with the DLLs causing problems and they were working on creating a new mapping system but then EP2 was released and new areas were mapped but the POTs never got updated and users were not given the ability to edit their POT map. Since it is a problem they are/were trying to address I would consider it a bug until they tell me it is not going to be worked on or it is fixed.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think they were player-side. Something to do with ability for them to make changes, or something. Or with the fact that it used web code of some sort. I know Linux was a problem, but I believe they did finally fix that before the new system. As I already said, I don't recall the details exactly, other than there was a reason why they scrapped the old one for a new system. I don't think they just did it for funsies.

It was also stated in a recent stream that the reason adding new maps to the new system slowed down is that it was a Ravalox job, and Ravalox took some leave for personal issues. Filling out missing maps is supposed to resume shortly. Though, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to keep poking them on it. Things seem to be forgotten easily if they aren't reminded often.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, that depends. If the new system has a map marking feature and it doesn't work, it's bug. If it doesn't yet have that feature, it's a wishlist item. You can't bug report code that doesn't exist. In my experience, bugs I've reported that get moved to the wishlist forum get moved because nothing is actually bugged. It may not work as I want/expect, or it may not exist at all. Either way, if you're asking for tech that doesn't exist, it's not a bug.

And, let me reiterate, OP may be absolutely correct. I don't personally know. I'm not telling you what happened, I'm offering a probable reason as to why it happened.

Anpu, Alley Oop and FrostII like this.
  17. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Dark Starr said back in 2017 concerning the old third party map talked about above :-

Some of the bugs talked about flagged up in 2018.

Note that I just thought I’d search these for context. Might be more old threads concerning the old map system but I struggled to find any.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, my comments about "old map system" are about SotaMap. (You probably knew that, but I figured I'd make it clear, since technically there are two "old" map systems- the original hand drawn ones we now turn into framed maps, and the purchased 3rd part SotaMap.)

19. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Hence why I mentioned I quoted them for context :)

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Ok just t clear the air @Cora Cuz'avich Jakub White did sotamaps originally and Portalarium acquired the map system as their own IP from him. He left the game very soon after that.

There were issues. A LOT of issues were described by @Sannio to me, at length, in a PM about a year ago. The message was that most likely the map system would be scrapped and the plan was to replace it. The reason I had originally PM'ed the devs was because @Duke Ezekiel Cooper sent me a screenshot of his awesome POT map that he could put trees on and write words and stuff. It was totally innocent and he said he thought we all had the same capabilities. It was really neat. The problem was I and many other Govenors did not have that ability along with all the other weird issues the map was experiencing. Chris, Sannio and even Darkstarr patiently explained to me why it wasn't possible. Soon after, POT maps completely disappeared with the promise they would return better and having more functionality than before.

Blackrock Cove looks like this:
    [​IMG]

It is still live on the official in-game map. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=130&poi_id=3342&openPopup=true&z=3

And now Immortal City:

[​IMG]

I am very sorry to rip the band-aid off of this issue, devs. I have asked repeatedly in PMs, official livestreams, Twitter, etc but haven't had any response. It really needs to be addressed. Blank POT maps are VERY MUCH a bug and it was pretty unnecessary to move this in the "Wishlist."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.