Player Quest System Suggestion - NPCs and Objects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parson Barr, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

The upcoming player quest system is a great idea and I have a few suggestions to keep it simple and flexible. No doubt Catnip has already thought about much of this, but it helps to share ideas. Rather than place a wall of text, I'm breaking my ideas into smaller posts, made over time. The first installment covers my thoughts around the basics of the PQ system.

IMO we need the following basic building blocks for them to work. We need NPCs and we need Objects specifically built for questing. Let's call these PQNPC and PQO for simplicity.

The PQNPC is the linchpin as the NPC delivers story and clues needed to complete the quest. All PQNPCs must be able to use the new dialog system. They need to be able to trigger objects and they need to be able to grant rewards as an option.

The reality is Catnip needs to make money. Therefore I suggest 3 types of these PQNPCs, two of which cost COTOS.
    • NPC Basic: This is a Free PQNPC. It can have custom dialog but cannot give out rewards.

• NPC Standard: This version is purchasable from the COTO store and can give rewards if stocked by the quest creator. It is upgradable to Advanced version like a deed.

• NPC Advanced : This version is purchasable from COTO store and offers rewards and experience at the end of the quest. It uses a totem system that increases the difficulty of quest enemies and grants larger experience and gold payout). And Catnip supplies the rewards (gold, objects, etc.) and experience. In exchange for this functionality Catnip should make this one expensive. Otherwise people will set them up and use them for farming.
    Next we need Player Quest Objects. They can be sold in the store as well. PQOs are simple items like a chest, jewelry, or a consumable. They can trigger doors to open, reveal hidden items, produce a visual effect, or deliver narrative story elements. Envision a book that triggers a door to open, or a potion that displays an explosion and triggers a floor trap.

I think these reuse many existing mechanics with hopefully limited changes. It also serves as a gold and COTO sink, both of which helps keep Catnip running.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It would be best to not think of all NPCs as Quest oriented. While I might have just one quest in my town, if NPCs can be used to fill the space with life, I may wind up with dozens.

The NPCs need to be script-able. This is your spot, sit here and/or walk in this path, have a schedule or not, use a certain crafting table, respond to the player or not.

Yes, not speak to players. "I don't speak to Outlanders" was a bad implementation of a very needed thing. Badly implemented because (last I checked) they still open a dialog window if you keep talking with them. They really should just bark their "go away" bark, and in a much wider variety.

As an example, playing Deus Ex: Humanity Divided, the place is incredibly alive with NPCs. Walking around, having coffee, freaking out in appropriate locations, being miserable and homeless, whatever. 98% of them are just filler.

So for our filler NPCs, we need to be able to specify a few barks and set them to not respond via dialog window.

The developers nailed it with mannequins (and I need to write a separate post to celebrate that). Places already feel more alive with them as window dressing. They can be used to enhance a place or help tell a story.

Speaking of which, the NPCs need to be dressable as well. Not patterns, full on dressable. It's a better system for the developer cash flow anyway, how much clothing did mannequins eat up?

Numa and Paladin Michael like this.
  3. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Totally agree. These PQNPCs should have a distinctive look. You only approach ones that have a certain look. In SotA the NPCs that give special quests are always distinctive. As you suggest we should be able to treat them almost like mannequins.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.