Player Town Designs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I suppose the only problem is that Themos design(the last one above) is already scaled to 1km x 1km? So the middle of the design would need to be made into an Island with a big grouping of the city sized templated lots. Themo, let me know if this is the accurate line of thinking.

mbomber and Miracle Dragon like this.
  2. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Weve been doing some working on a variation of the PaxLair map, it is not done but I wanted to share what we had. This creates a break in the map to flow a river down each side to create what is effectively a string of micro islands coming into the land. We are likely going to line the north end with a rock wall as an example instead of a tree wall. The end result being a map that resembles a mountain cove.

[​IMG]

3. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

The purpose of the templates is that each template will be able to be switched out with biomes. So for the "Template' design it is really all about designing the contours of the town.

4. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Thats pretty awesome, Kazyn. I keep picturing a big canyon gorge, with suspension bridges, where the river is for a variation.

Curator Kvow [MGT] and Jatvardur like this.
  5. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yeah, and later well work out some variants for biomes. Just wanted to show small changes of potential variation to the template to just show that even a small but reasonable amount of topography change requests to a template and some different positioning can COMPLETELY change the template's impact.

6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Is cool. I like it.

cartodude likes this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

You guys do some good work. I'd love to see a template that is mostly lake. People zone in on a small stretch of land then either walk across a long bridge or ferry (like kingsport to ardoris) to a island big enough to fit a town and a bit more.
    They would enter on the dock in front of the town square. Where there would be 2 NPC buildings and a status (monument). from there different paths would lead away. Some to groups of row houses other to village. The other would lead to 4 town/2 city and at the far end would be a keep lot for a dukes island castle. to the west of the dock for the Dukes castle is a pile of dragon bones and to the east a guard tower. The tower would be right next to the dock where the dragon bones would be a short distance away.

There's one more NPC structure as we're waiting on a complete list and what each monument does. Also, this will be a town sized but will have less building as wel want more nature. Probably put one city lot and a town on a cliff overlooking the water. Probably the other city and one other twon will be a waterfront lot. The 8 or so village will be split between waterfront and land and the row will all be land away from the keep and city lots.

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Break out the ol' MS Paint and put this description into art. Doesnt need to be perfect, just a visual representation.

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Pretty much yes. Lockbrier can't have a river due to us already knowing its location on the map, but iam working on other designs for examples/

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Just an idea here, but Lockbrier could be on a plateau in a dried up river bed/small canyon, which other pots could fill with water for there river, perhaps?

11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

[​IMG]

This is what we hope to be able to obtain - though it is being revised somewhat to fit within the current guidelines.

12. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Does anyone out there want an inland town?? lol. Nice designs everyone!

13. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I'm sure some will, Blake. And really, from a 'world' perspective, it makes sense that many of the major cities would be along a coast. It's just a good thing that there is quite a bit of coastal territory on Novia!

14. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

What the hell, here's another one for the pile, the Metropolis of Beran's Reach:

[​IMG]

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

If I understand the idea of templates correctly, a coastal town could be dressed as a mountainside town, or hilly forest, or lumpy desert. So, I would think any template could be made inland.

But perhaps I don't understand templates.

16. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I guess they could dry the river / lake and then you'd have valley, which would allow for an inland town on the same template. Good thinking Frank.

17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

hmm that could work.

18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

You know if you took my alteration of the paxlair map, and you took out one of the inclines to just make it ocean.... You'd basically have a variant of falling waters fortress as-is, just remove the cobblestone and make it grassland. At least as far as topography goes... As far as the addition of the "fortress" area to it, that might be something you could work with. Maybe build stone walls AROUND the inland island area I built? Then use those for the lot templates within the fortress?

I mean i know its not exactly on par with your design but you do have the waterfall, the ocean front area, The river break, and the mountain backdrop at that point.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  19. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I disagree, WrathPhoenix. If there is *ANYTHING* that we do not want, it's a Paxlair copy (no ill will intended).

We have specific scenes and such in mind which will be elaborated on with the Devs when the time comes. As Tazar mentioned, this is not our final map. It is being updated.

20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Traditionally, towns near water sources were always popular during medeval and rennisance periods. Having said that from what i understand each template will have the ability to raise and lower water level and the biome of each individual template will be switchable easily. The templates are designed that way, so it is important when designing templates to be biome agnostic, and instead speak just to topography alone.

A good example would be, a block of trees may be exchanged for rocks/crags in a desert area. They mey also be removed entirely in the case of a plains town.

I'd like to see some templates based on the valeway map since it was mentioned NPC towns and areas might well be suitable for PoT templates. Open plains, road down the center....occasional tree or rock in the area. Could be fun. Maybe ill try something like that for the Phoenix fields design?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.